• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mine The Gap Media Update

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Hello everyone. Today we have a new media update to share which covers a different class of explosive weapons that one may find while patrolling the jungle. As always remember what you are about to see are Works in Progress and often prototype implementations. Diving right in, let us talk about C4 and Tripwires.

Composition C4 is a plastic explosive that is stable to carry and move around and can be molded into any shape needed (or desired) by the end user. Often carried by engineers, in Vietnam it provided a reliable way to close tunnels or clear buildings but was also often used to lay traps while out in the field. Players will find this weapon in the US Army and Marine arsenal.

http://media.tripwirecdn.com/071116/C4.webm

The Vietcong also had their own variety of traps made using WWII-era anti-personnel mines as well as more modern ones provided by Russia and China. But one of the most common traps was the home-made Tripwire created by tying a string or wire to the pin of a grenade which would result in the grenade's detonation when the string or wire was “tripped” by passing a soldier’s feet or legs.

http://media.tripwirecdn.com/071116/TripwireTrap.webm

As always keep in mind that media shown is WIP.

Reactions: utek
    Wow! Looks really great! Especially the clip with the Tripwire Trap! I really like how that soldier looses his leg and how he is falling on the ground. Also I haven't seen such a feature in a war game before like that. Really a great idea to actually make that into the game :)

If you want to be more realistic the smoke of the c4 explosive should stay longer... but thats nearly always the case in games and I suspect it's because of performance issues. After the explosions the remote is switching quite fast to the weapon. Is that made manually or automatically? Because it looks to fast right now and changing the weapon back manually might be better a better solution in my opinion.

Is it possible to stack the explosions or detonate it with other equipment? How about the lag which occured with the satchel charge in RO2/RS where the explosion and the consequence of it would lag behind including the killfeed? Is that fixed?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Brembo;n2262779 said:
    Lol, this hut which remains intact after the explosion looks ablosutely weird in 2016....
    We're completely spoiled by the Frostbite Engine and Battlefield. "Dynamic" destruction isn't a standart among the most video games right now but it will be something in a few years. But I have to admit that I thought the same...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    will there be the potential the buildings could be damaged by the C4, or other explosions? I'm not talking about full destructions, but sort of how it was down with RO2 where the models or whatever would change. It would be nice to see that, except sectional to the part of the building that was damaged by the explosion.

good **** by the way.

Upvote 0
    Hopefully there will be more detail and complexity when it comes to visual effects and texture definition (jungle part sort of ok, but the village looks quite bland and lacking artistic input).
    What you've shown us in past video updates looked better and much more detailed, so I reckon it's just an unfortunate choice of a heavy WIP environment of sorts.
    :)

Upvote 0