• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No Room To Move or Aim Further,Climbing System, Trap & Tunnel Placement Bugs

Aldarith

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 21, 2018
Hey Folks,

Going to cover a few issues I've had to date in one thread.

No Room To Move or Aim Further & Bipod placement issues
This one is somewhere between bug & suggestion.
The trouble is that there is little to no feedback given to the player regarding the bounds of their aim & reach, that and that this often results in issues aiming that lead to a quick death.

It's also a bit hard to quantify, as a player, in a way that sounds meaningful to the developer. When laying prone and using a weapon that does not have a bipod, the issues are less pronounced. What typically happens is that the player lays in a ditch or between some props (foliage, rocks, etc) that are not on even ground. The confluence of elevation & props (the hitboxes of which are often very large and have poor correlation to the model) interfere with the players shots and absorb the rounds. A good solution for this one is not apparent, as it requires that better elevation information be conveyed to the players and that smaller, more expensive hitboxes (maybe even collision meshes) be used on many props.

When laying prone and using a weapon with a bipod the issue is again, that information is not fully apparent to the player and often times the restrictions seem arbitrary and frustrating. Props that do not appear close interfere with aim, slight changes in elevation affect the players ability to hit enemies because the origin of the projectile seems to be inside the chest of the player (this last issue might be the biggest, as it can appear that the muzzle of your weapon is well above the terrain but projectile are impacting under or behind the first person camera so the player isn't aware of the fact that they can't hit until the enemy is returning fire).

Using a bipod on a surface can also be very difficult. Many of the issues with props are still present here, but it seems like whatever system the controller uses to identify deploy-able surfaces has issues detecting what is at the proper height for placement. The constraints on aiming are also difficult to discern and are often wildly affected by the size of the area around the player. That is to say that it is difficult to discern how much space you will have in one placement relative to another because the restrictions don't make sense or correlate to your (apparently) physical surroundings.

It might be helpful for the player to have a small 3D widget to help the player visualize the relationship between their aiming position and the extreme bounds of their turning radius.
UyoaNXy.jpg

Shooting the dirt is what it sounds like - just having issues with the relationship of the first person camera with the projectile origin. It's either inconsistent with where the first person camera tells me the end of my weapon is or there's issues with the elevation of the camera. Not sure how to offer constructive suggestions for this one, but it's frequently encountered.

Climbing System
This might be down to individual mapmakers in some cases, but there's often issues with establishing what is and is not a climbable surface.
One set of sandbags is climbable and another next to it is verboten.

It's not really an issue for players to climb on props inside the play area of the map since the suppression effects are very good at indicating direction and players are quite good at sussing out hiding places. I find the arbitrary restrictions on climbing interfere a lot with my agency and I often get killed trying to climb something that logically appear climbable by way of height and placement, but is restricted for whatever reason.

I guess I'm recommending increased leniency for climbing, and have some better consistency across what IS climbable and what is not (EG all boxes, barrels and rocks of a certain height and type be climbable so I don't get killed thinking I can climb a box I climbed in another room 5 meters away)

Trap & Tunnel Placement
This one is definitely a bug, and they're probably related to one another.
Many times over the course of the match I will move my placement 'ghost' into an area and when it indicates that I can place my trap or tunnel, I do so.
The animation plays and the timer counts down, but as both finish my 'ghost' reappears indicating positive placement possibility but there's no tunnel or trap.

I don't know if this is an issue with detection where there is inconsistency between what the ghost detects as 'placement positive' area and actual possible space or if it's just a glitch where the game decides 'nope' and stops my placement last minute, but this one gets me killed more often than anything else.

Go to an area to place a trap and expect to be exposed for about 4 seconds but end up spending closer to 20 trying to adjust placement, then die to someone who catches me doing it.

Not sure what to suggest for this one except that the detection needs to be adjusted somehow.