• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

It takes me 10 seconds to change my role, Please help..... please

Russia.1991

Mar 29, 2018
As ive stated 2 months ago while waiting for an answer, my problem still continues as It takes me 10 seconds to load into the "Change Role" or "Settings" Screen. I recently noticed that "once" I get onto the settings screen, the game will lag as I scroll through the "audio" or "video" options. So I figured my problem had something to do with a lag spike in the system itself. Now I may be terrible with computers but I can state any other information so that you the devolopers and players can help me fix this problem. I have also tried to defrag my pc as well as reinstalling then installing rs2 multiple times. I please ask that you give me feed back so that I may continue to play this wonderful game, Thank You

Reactions: PopeDewritos
The fact that it has actually been 2 damn months since this issue surfaced and the devs haven't at least said anything about it is actually...disturbing, i'm just hoping they don't just leave us with this issue out to live with this...cancerous problem for the rest of this games life. But if my steam thread gets an actually fix or if any thread gets a fix, I'll post it here immediately.

Upvote 0
I've not heard of this before. Can you describe exactly what happens, step by step, when opening one (or both) of those menus? I can't tell from your post whether it's a freeze, a slow fade, a period of nothing happening, or anything else.

Additionally, a copy of your game log after this has happened would also be useful, in case it's keeping track of what's going awry.

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2320584 said:
I've not heard of this before. Can you describe exactly what happens, step by step, when opening one (or both) of those menus? I can't tell from your post whether it's a freeze, a slow fade, a period of nothing happening, or anything else.

Additionally, a copy of your game log after this has happened would also be useful, in case it's keeping track of what's going awry.

Oh Thank you so much for helping me, anyways the game seems to freeze once I click on a menu, and it takes about 10 seconds for the menu to load. Also I don't know what you mean by "a copy of my game log" could you describe how to view or receive this so that I can give this report to you

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2320584 said:

Alright I sent you the File, But as I said before The launch is fine, Its just whenever I go to click and change my role or go to change something in the settings menu it will take about 10 seconds until I get to the settings menu or change role menu. Also the other piece of information I picked up is whenever I go into the Audio Menu to change the volume for anything, usually ill scroll down to find a specific option but that's when the game lags as I go to scroll up or down. So I hope ive givin you enough info to help me, Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for your log. It helped somewhat. A few more things I need now please.

1) What is your CPU?
2) What is your Graphics Card?
3) Is the game installed on an SSD or an older HDD? If it's an HDD, do you know the speed of it? (If you don't, do you know if it's a "green" drive or not?)

Do you find the game takes a while to load? Your log suggests that just getting to the main menu takes

I note from your log that you have a bunch of launch options set that are either unnecessary, non existant, or unsupported.

"-windowed -noborder -dxlevel 90 -w 1920 -h 1080 -novid"

windowed -> Unnecessary, you can simply set this in the video settings and it will save
noborder -> Not sure this is a real parameter. If you want borderless windowed mode, select it from the video settings dropdown menu
dxlevel 90 -> We don't support DX9
w/h -> Forcing a resolution on launch isn't really necessary, but if you want to, you want to
novid -> Not a real command. If you want to avoid the startup movies, use -nostartupmovies

Lastly, I would like you to run me two gameplay profiles and then send them to the email address I already provided. Steps below:

1) Ensure you have the game console enabled. If you aren't sure, you can find a checkbox in the Settings menu under "Player View & HUD", then under the HUD sub heading, second last option, "Enable Developer Console". Check the box, apply the setting, hit Back to return to the Main Menu
2) Open the console with the tilde (~) key. Depending on your keyboard, it's usually the one to the left of the number "1" key, directly above "Tab".
3) Type the command "profilegame start" and hit enter
4) Close the console with the tilde key again
5) Open the settings menu
6) When the menu finishes loading, open the console again and type "profilegame stop"
7) Next, load a map. Don't choose a team yet
8) Repeat the steps for "profilegame start"
9) Choose a team so that the Role Select menu is initialised
10) When the freeze finishes, run "profilegame stop"
11) Exit the game

Now, that will have generated 2 files. I don't know how large they will be, but I will need you to get both of them to me somehow. You can find them both in a folder near where you found the log file, except that instead of the "Logs" folder, these will be in a newly created "Profiling" folder. Add them to a zip, rar or .7z archive to get their size down and email them to the same address I already provided you so that I can analyse them.

I am moderately sure that the problem is your PC struggling to load data from your configs but I need the profiles to confirm it. The earlier questions about PC specs are to ascertain whether your PC is bottlenecking somewhere, especially in terms of loading from storage (I note that your game launch time is rather slow, so I'm guessing you use an HDD rather than an SSD).

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2321062 said:
Thanks for your log. It helped somewhat. A few more things I need now please.

1) What is your CPU?
2) What is your Graphics Card?
3) Is the game installed on an SSD or an older HDD? If it's an HDD, do you know the speed of it? (If you don't, do you know if it's a "green" drive or not?)

Do you find the game takes a while to load? Your log suggests that just getting to the main menu takes

I note from your log that you have a bunch of launch options set that are either unnecessary, non existant, or unsupported.

"-windowed -noborder -dxlevel 90 -w 1920 -h 1080 -novid"

windowed -> Unnecessary, you can simply set this in the video settings and it will save
noborder -> Not sure this is a real parameter. If you want borderless windowed mode, select it from the video settings dropdown menu
dxlevel 90 -> We don't support DX9
w/h -> Forcing a resolution on launch isn't really necessary, but if you want to, you want to
novid -> Not a real command. If you want to avoid the startup movies, use -nostartupmovies

Lastly, I would like you to run me two gameplay profiles and then send them to the email address I already provided. Steps below:

1) Ensure you have the game console enabled. If you aren't sure, you can find a checkbox in the Settings menu under "Player View & HUD", then under the HUD sub heading, second last option, "Enable Developer Console". Check the box, apply the setting, hit Back to return to the Main Menu
2) Open the console with the tilde (~) key. Depending on your keyboard, it's usually the one to the left of the number "1" key, directly above "Tab".
3) Type the command "profilegame start" and hit enter
4) Close the console with the tilde key again
5) Open the settings menu
6) When the menu finishes loading, open the console again and type "profilegame stop"
7) Next, load a map. Don't choose a team yet
8) Repeat the steps for "profilegame start"
9) Choose a team so that the Role Select menu is initialised
10) When the freeze finishes, run "profilegame stop"
11) Exit the game

Now, that will have generated 2 files. I don't know how large they will be, but I will need you to get both of them to me somehow. You can find them both in a folder near where you found the log file, except that instead of the "Logs" folder, these will be in a newly created "Profiling" folder. Add them to a zip, rar or .7z archive to get their size down and email them to the same address I already provided you so that I can analyse them.

I am moderately sure that the problem is your PC struggling to load data from your configs but I need the profiles to confirm it. The earlier questions about PC specs are to ascertain whether your PC is bottlenecking somewhere, especially in terms of loading from storage (I note that your game launch time is rather slow, so I'm guessing you use an HDD rather than an SSD).

Alright So I have a:

Cyber Power PC
AMD FX(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
I use an HDD
The System Type is: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

and ill get those gameplay profiles to you asap

Upvote 0
Thank you for both the answers above and the profiles you sent. It has confirmed my suspicions, so I do know what the problem is.

Unfortunately though, there is no magic bullet. Your PC is struggling with the tasks that run as part of opening those particular menus (things like loading your current configs from disk, populating squad lists, etc, etc), which will be a combination of your slow HDD and a mid to low end CPU (at least in gaming terms). I don't know exactly why it's having so much trouble, It may just not be a particularly strong CPU when it comes to the type of calculations required for initialising those menus, or maybe it's something else. So I will not be able to fix the problem for you outright.

That said though, I think there's room in here for improvement on our end. Between your profiles and some I've run on my own higher specced PC, I've been able to identify the key culprits and I think there are steps that can be taken to reduce the impact. I will raise a ticket for it internally and will see if we're able to spend some time on it for the 1.09 patch. I don't think we can fix it for you entirely - you seem to be getting slowdowns on functions in which there really isn't room for any further improvement and your slowdowns are on the extreme end of the bell curve - but I think I should be able to shave a couple of seconds off for you. Whether that's 1 second less or 5 though, remains to be seen.

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2321155 said:
Thank you for both the answers above and the profiles you sent. It has confirmed my suspicions, so I do know what the problem is.

Unfortunately though, there is no magic bullet. Your PC is struggling with the tasks that run as part of opening those particular menus (things like loading your current configs from disk, populating squad lists, etc, etc), which will be a combination of your slow HDD and a mid to low end CPU (at least in gaming terms). I don't know exactly why it's having so much trouble, It may just not be a particularly strong CPU when it comes to the type of calculations required for initialising those menus, or maybe it's something else. So I will not be able to fix the problem for you outright.

That said though, I think there's room in here for improvement on our end. Between your profiles and some I've run on my own higher specced PC, I've been able to identify the key culprits and I think there are steps that can be taken to reduce the impact. I will raise a ticket for it internally and will see if we're able to spend some time on it for the 1.09 patch. I don't think we can fix it for you entirely - you seem to be getting slowdowns on functions in which there really isn't room for any further improvement and your slowdowns are on the extreme end of the bell curve - but I think I should be able to shave a couple of seconds off for you. Whether that's 1 second less or 5 though, remains to be seen.

Thank you very much for your help, and if you have any suggestions on how I can increase any of my pc specs to match the power of Rising Storm 2, please let me know

Upvote 0
The next patch (1.09) will have some improvements for you. Now I must stress that as per my last post, there is no magic bullet and this isn't going to suddenly fix all your issues. All I can do is try to make things a little quicker. At the end of the day, your CPU is quite slow and is the bottleneck in this case - it's struggling on processes that barely register when I performance log my own PC.

The settings menu was taking you 4.7 seconds to load. My changes should now have it loading in somewhere around 0.5-0.8 seconds, however... the bulk of the slowdown was caused when your game attempted to populate the keybinds menu and that is still going to be slow. One of the things I have changed (assuming that it doesn't turn out to have caused some other disaster in testing) is to move that keybind loading to occur only when you click the Keybinds tab. When you do, you can still expect around a 3 second loading time (maybe slightly less now the HDD won't be chugging away in the background) but it's not going to be instant. You should be able to adjust other settings at will though without the massive delay every time you currently get.

The role select menu current takes you 6 seconds and this is harder to fix. Most of the delay is caused by the most basic functions that are going on, where certain elements are being put into position. It's a base engine function and something that although I could change, I'm not likely to find anything to improve there. Most peoples' CPUs have no trouble, yours seems to be a rare case, so there's more danger that I'll slow everyone's down than speed it up. I _have_ found some improvements in some areas here, but to a lesser extent. I expect it to shave around 1 second from the loading time, but that'll still leave you at around 5 seconds (I expect). But see how you go. Keep an eye out for any announcements about our test branch in the near future. If we push out any test builds, they will have these fixes in them and you'll be able to assess your performance (or even grab new profiles so that we can get a definitive answer on how much improvement we have or have not made).

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2322122 said:
The next patch (1.09) will have some improvements for you. Now I must stress that as per my last post, there is no magic bullet and this isn't going to suddenly fix all your issues. All I can do is try to make things a little quicker. At the end of the day, your CPU is quite slow and is the bottleneck in this case - it's struggling on processes that barely register when I performance log my own PC.

The settings menu was taking you 4.7 seconds to load. My changes should now have it loading in somewhere around 0.5-0.8 seconds, however... the bulk of the slowdown was caused when your game attempted to populate the keybinds menu and that is still going to be slow. One of the things I have changed (assuming that it doesn't turn out to have caused some other disaster in testing) is to move that keybind loading to occur only when you click the Keybinds tab. When you do, you can still expect around a 3 second loading time (maybe slightly less now the HDD won't be chugging away in the background) but it's not going to be instant. You should be able to adjust other settings at will though without the massive delay every time you currently get.

The role select menu current takes you 6 seconds and this is harder to fix. Most of the delay is caused by the most basic functions that are going on, where certain elements are being put into position. It's a base engine function and something that although I could change, I'm not likely to find anything to improve there. Most peoples' CPUs have no trouble, yours seems to be a rare case, so there's more danger that I'll slow everyone's down than speed it up. I _have_ found some improvements in some areas here, but to a lesser extent. I expect it to shave around 1 second from the loading time, but that'll still leave you at around 5 seconds (I expect). But see how you go. Keep an eye out for any announcements about our test branch in the near future. If we push out any test builds, they will have these fixes in them and you'll be able to assess your performance (or even grab new profiles so that we can get a definitive answer on how much improvement we have or have not made).

Alright Man, Thank you so much. Ill keep a look out in the announcements for if that fix ever comes to me

Upvote 0