• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Freezes Computer on game startup

DEMONTHESE2211

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 24, 2017
I have been getting the following bug on and off since the game's release. I have so far been unable to identify any common thread as to why this crash is occurring and what causes it to reappear. Upon pressing play in steam I am presented with a popup titled "Problem Ejecting NVIDIA GeForce 650M" with text in the text of the popup being "The 'Nvidia GeForce 650M' device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged." with a button stating Ok. When this occurs my entire computer freezes and a static comes out of my headphones. I cannot Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Delete, or Alt+F4 to get out of this I must force power down my computer. Until today, upon restart steam would show that Rising Storm 2 was uninstalled (all files still on computer) and on reinstall would merely identify files on disk quickly and then reinstall. The problem would temporarily be fixed by deleting the ROGame folder in Documents\mygames\Rising Storm 2, not deleting the folder would have it freeze again. Today, however, Rising Storm 2 did not show itself as uninstalled in steam and deleting the ROGame folder has not fixed the problem nor did verifying the integrity of the game files. Attached is a picture of the error. After the most recent crash I did not delete the ROGame folder and there is no .log or .dmp in the Logs folder.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Game_Crash_RS2.jpg

(First of all, I do hope you have a 64 bit operating system...)

You are using a pretty low end graphics card (and on a laptop I presume?), so that is the primary reason for your issue. What happens afterward with your computer freezing is pretty much as expected for such an error coming from notebook tier GPU. A quick search online and I found someone else that shares your type of graphics card, instead they were having a frame rate related issue on Red Orchestra 2. And to quote from that thread:
Spoiler!
(http://steamcommunity.com/app/35450/discussions/0/630802978821782422/)

Further looking into the ejected or unplugged issue gives me the impression that the GPU either can't handle the programs graphic demands or the drivers need to be change for it. Some others on different forums using different programs said that they downgraded their drivers to run that specific program without errors, or they did some changes in the NVIDIA control panel. And I quote:
Spoiler!
(http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id...-670m-device-removable-ejected-unplugged.html)

Its also kind of obvious why there is no .log or .dmp files, because the program can't even start up that far. Did you at any time even manage to get to the main menu of the game? I'd recommend first trying to start the game with really low settings:
Spoiler!

If that does nothing, then you should probably move on and try some of those driver downgrades/upgrades or NVIDIA control panel settings that the other people had success with.

As for the second part about you seeing the game uninstalled on steam but still in its folder, this is just steam not being able to locate it >> https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8379-RYIP-2998

(Tip: you can press the PrintScreen button on your keyboard to make a screenshot of your screen, then go to paint and paste & save it. Simple alternative to just taking a picture of your screen with a camera.)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips, I'll look into them in the morning. Drivers could definitely be an issue that I haven't looked into yet, though I probably should have. I am running a 64 bit system. I'm very hesitant to say that the problem is performance related, of all the games that I play/have played RS2 is definitely not the one that would break the graphics card. It defaults to minimum graphics settings but I could probably bump those up considering I don't encounter any frame rate issues at all and runs perfectly fine when it runs. I took a picture with the cell phone because I wasn't sure if print-screen would work. Again thanks for the suggestions, I'll reply back if any of them work.

Edit: Updating my nvidia driver from version 373.06 to the latest 382.53 seems to have fixed it. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0