• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Multi-Core Issues/Degrading FPS

thedudeabides

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 11, 2017
I am having issues with degrading FPS that I believe is linked to multi-core optimization.

I start the program and start playing with 60fps pretty much locked. (i52550K, GTX970, 8GB) But after playing for about an hour give or take, my FPS starts to degrade all the way down until I am getting no more than 30-35ish.

I know for a fact it is because my #1 Core is getting loaded with too much and the other cores steadily get used less and less.

I have included the graph from Open Hardware Monitor so you can see what I mean.

You can see where the cores separate out instead of being utilized together. The second image you can see where I restarted the game a few times and the processing went back to normal for a while, before I had to do it again to get reasonable FPS.

I have "-USEALLAVAILABLECORES" set in steam launch properties. And I use Dxtory to also make sure the affinity is set and thread priority is high. I also have searched and searched for the problem among other users, but there isn't much support data on this game yet.

I also have tried on all different combination of graphical settings, and down to the lowest settings the "core separation" problem brings me back down to 30FPS

Thank You for any help you can provide.

I have 2500K with GTX 560 and doesn't have any issue whatsoever. No problem regarding CPU, but I overclocked it. I do not have any launch option I simply run it as everyone else without forcing any parameter in launch command.. Try to delete the user folder in My Games for RS2, and verify files in steam it may help, and do not assign cores, and do not change priority you shouldn't.. By the way with my lower end hardware I can run the game almost Ultra at 1680x1050 by tweaking the heavier ressource intensive things like shadows. disable framerate smoothing and VSync too to unleash the FPS.Your CPU doesn't seem to overheat, but do a clean up of everything it may also help. Try to run the game with the minimum programs runing in background to eliminate any potential conflict and see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The game is not strictly multi-threaded, so for the most part it will only use one core. A few minor functions run on others, but for the bulk of engine, rendering and gameplay functions, it's all the one. It's a downside of the older tech in use and one we can't do much about. As alluded to above, there is an update coming that should help, however it won't be next patch, there's been a delay on that front. There are some other small optimisations coming as well, but one thing that I will harp on about like a broken record is to double check that your game logs aren't filling up. We attempted to suppress most of the logging for people on release, but some people manually unsuppressed theirs and others somehow seem to still have excess logging going on regardless - if your game logs get too large (which isn't hard as they're standard text files) then that will also cause massive performance degradation until you restart the game.

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2296943 said:
The game is not strictly multi-threaded, so for the most part it will only use one core. A few minor functions run on others, but for the bulk of engine, rendering and gameplay functions, it's all the one. It's a downside of the older tech in use and one we can't do much about. As alluded to above, there is an update coming that should help, however it won't be next patch, there's been a delay on that front. There are some other small optimisations coming as well, but one thing that I will harp on about like a broken record is to double check that your game logs aren't filling up. We attempted to suppress most of the logging for people on release, but some people manually unsuppressed theirs and others somehow seem to still have excess logging going on regardless - if your game logs get too large (which isn't hard as they're standard text files) then that will also cause massive performance degradation until you restart the game.

How do you check and how do you stop logging then?

Upvote 0