• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Trenches & Tunnels

AntleredCormorant

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2017
I've noticed this on a few maps: long, straight, unbroken trench lines. Trenches are usually dug in a zig-zag pattern so an enemy can't sweep the length of it from one end. Check out the trench & tunnel systems in the official maps, like D objective on Cu Chi - short, interconnected sections between bunkers, pillboxes, etc. Rather than building an objective around them, think about how a defender would dig in to your existing terrain. Some wooden planks or posts & other details would be cool, too.

Thanks for reading & thanks for all the new maps! Game needs them badly.

edit: JungleRaid (v6) is a notable exception, both A & B objectives have functional trenches that look & feel used.

Last edited:
Is this an ideas & suggestions thread?

I wish trenches were that way, but the ugly truth is that the easiest way to place them is by using grid. So you end up with either a straight line and a corner or a bunch of corners, not much freedom in the design. It's all 90 degree angles from there.
lz3WSkM.png

If you don't use the grid then you are mostly left with gaps in the terrain, and if the trench meshes doesn't cover the gaps then you need to plug it up with other meshes.
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Here's what you mean about JungleRaid?
Untitled14.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kaleun;n2301407 said:
Is this an ideas & suggestions thread?

I wish trenches were that way, but the ugly truth is that the easiest way to place them is by using grid. So you end up with either a straight line and a corner or a bunch of corners, not much freedom in the design.

No, not a suggestion - map feedback that applied to several maps, so I made a new thread.

Lots of corners are fine. Long straight trenches are a deathtrap.

Upvote 0