• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Breaching Walls/Fences?

AntleredCormorant

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2017
Putting this here instead of the "Suggestion" forum because it's more map feedback.

There are a number of new maps that are making use of temple walls & fencing. In RO/RO2 some maps had specific breach points you could clear with a demo charge in order to open up new lanes of attack. I haven't seen that yet in RS2 but if it's possible, that would be cool. As it is, all the wall/fence creates some really nasty choke points while also boxing in defenders for artillery/air support.

If that's not possible in RS2, maybe vines or other ways to climb over?

Also while I'm here, thanks for all your efforts. Even the maps that are still kinda rough are adding a lot to the game.

I know what you mean, like the walls on Stalingrad Kessel that would blow up with the satchels. I haven't tried anything with destructible meshes yet, the videos I watched were for RO2, but it shouldn't be too different?

I think I know of only one thing that is destructible, and that is the straw fences with ivy growing on them, the place I see them doing their work is on Hill 937 at objective A. Artillery blows them away, but I don't know if anything else really does. (Unless that was some bug and I imagined them disappearing)
QehijAd.jpg

I think it should be possible in RS2, if not then I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to just copy assets from RO2. I would wish you could do this to the actually tunnel meshes though, blowing up all those underground passages would feel nicer.

A shame you can't bring a Frostbite tier level of destruction into this engine. I did see UE4 with some fancy destructible meshes though.
[video=youtube;F6QqnPBjK-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QqnPBjK-8[/video]
I'd imagine this stuff in UE4 holds down performance across multiplayer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kaleun;n2299533 said:
A shame you can't bring a Frostbite tier level of destruction into this engine.

It is, but lag aside I suspect flamethrowers and artillery would turn most maps into the same cratered moonscape. When at least some of the stuff is destructible it gives that impression of overall damage, like how burnt areas give the sense of combustion without burning the whole map down.

That style of fence gets hammered on Cu Chi but I will try flattening them on other maps.

Being able to blast into and/or collapse a section of tunnel near a CP would be a cool feature.

What about a radio antenna or a generator to kill the lights?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The graphics artist did their best to give the materials of all meshes a worn and damaged look, but nothing like that will ever give you an impression that someone actually dropped artillery here or that a flamethrower actually scorched that wall. It's not a dynamic landscape, it always stays the same every round you play it and has that same prefabricated feel to it. This game will never have that, its not built for it.

I think trees toppling over into predetermined areas would be the easiest thing to touch on, same burning/blowing out foliage so that plants become barren and easier to see through. For tunnels you would just change it from an open area to a closed one, I don't know about blasting into them since terrain doesn't work like that, but a predetermined entrance that gets blown into can work. CuChi has a mesh that actually fits this description, its an already blown open area, just present it in an undamaged way with obvious means to destroy it.
jqd9IBL.png

I don't know what you mean about radio antenna, as in destroying one for an objective? That would be like the B objective in Red October Factory that can be destroyed with a satchel. Lights though, I think that is outside of the bounds of this game...

Last edited:
Upvote 0