• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Need a little help with RS2 SDK - Getting Started?

MadTommy

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2008
Hi all, I'm keen to have a dabble at using the SDK (building maps)... it's totally new to me. (i have experience in other very different SDKs)

I've seen lots of excellent tutorials covering individual topics.. adding light, adding water etc..
I've seen nymets1104 excellent youtube vids....
I've read the faq post here from Para941...

All very useful...

But as a complete newbie what I'm missing is a good overview of the whole process in summary. Maybe a kind of check sheet for the order of work flow that works best... maybe a list of the critical features, useful features & fluff features.

Anyone know of a resource that might fill this need for me? Could anyone write a brief summary of the 'process' or workflow. (Just topic titles would be really helpful)

Thanks

Tommy

Last edited:
Very boiled to the bone of what I do for a map (workflow):
1) Sketch Phase - Creating the idea on pen and paper (or digitally)
2) Blockout Phase aka White/Grey Boxing - Objectives, spawns, map boundaries & basic geometry
3) Art Phase - Adding in Assets
4) Lighting Phase - Tweaking lighting
5) Polish Phase - Adding in final details, tweaking details etc
5) Optimization Phase - Optimizing the Level

Reactions: MadTommy
Upvote 0
Beskar Mando;n2299369 said:
Very boiled to the bone of what I do for a map (workflow):
1) Sketch Phase - Creating the idea on pen and paper (or digitally)
2) Blockout Phase aka White/Grey Boxing - Objectives, spawns, map boundaries & basic geometry
4) Lighting Phase - Tweaking lighting
5) Optimization Phase - Optimizing the Level

Thanks mate, that is helpful.

I'm sure I'll have further questions.. gonna dive in & try and get my head around the subject as a whole while creating a test map.

Upvote 0
Beskar Mando;n2299369 said:

I'm pretty much just on those two points continuously, I've got it all in my mind how the landscape looks and I'm still just throwing down meshes and sculpting the landscape endlessly. One day when I no longer see barren flats or holes in the map, I will begin the other things.

I've only ever edited maps in one other game, Mount and Blade. Simple as pie scene editor, you just punched out the hills and valleys and threw in the props & spawn nodes, then you had some limited world properties and preset sky boxes you could choose from. I'd just compare UDK to Valve Hammer Editor, looks complicated to hell and deters you from getting into it.

Upvote 0