• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Map version numbers yes or no

Para941;n2299691 said:
also tonight will be the last namechange on steam so i would wait for it just building light on that version

My server can normally download VNTE-CambodianIncursionSteam file, I guess it may be the server can not determine the inside of the workshop, with two underlined documents.
The map creator, when uploading the map for the first time, determines the file name of the map, do not change the map file name when updating. The map creator, if the map file name is changed each time it is updated, is a very painful thing for the server manager.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
54188888;n2299764 said:
My server can normally download VNTE-CambodianIncursionSteam file, I guess it may be the server can not determine the inside of the workshop, with two underlined documents.
The map creator, when uploading the map for the first time, determines the file name of the map, do not change the map file name when updating. The map creator, if the map file name is changed each time it is updated, is a very painful thing for the server manager.

OK thank you. Seems you have put the word out across all channels well :)

Upvote 0
The fact that you have sever ops complaining is because it'd be a lot more convenient for them to not make a separate .ini file every time you create a differently named map (not really difficult since you simply change a couple numbers each time!) and have to restart the server and update the map cycle with the appropriate name.

What I'm wondering is... what difference does it possibly make if you have to restart your server either way!? The server won't update the map real-time with people playing on the server, anyway. So you changing your map names is only a minor quality of life addition for server ops, not some critical and necessary aspect.

So don't feel you need to keep your map at B1 nymets1104 (name it however you please, as I see it). But if you guys do go down the road of using a single map name from now on, please let server ops know there has been a change because it's incredibly easy to make a mistake between new and old versions and cause file mismatch errors for clients which will ultimately disconnect people from the server and kill it immediately.

Going either route of different map names or keeping it the same causes its own set of problems! This entire issue is something that TWI should be lobbied about, NOT map makers. But I'm on the same thinking of Para941. If .ini's could be included in SWS uploads you could name the map whatever you want without consequence and please both parties.

I've also heard reports from a couple server operators saying that when an update to an SWS item is pushed, it changes the reference number that is used by the server to update. So there could be more than one problem at work here too.

Upvote 0
No Title

[QUOTE = omano; n2299653]无论文件名被调用(相同还是新名称),服务器将收到更新。唯一要做的就是修改你的配置文件,你的地图循环和重新启动服务器(因为配置文件更改只会在重新启动后生效),以使地图正常工作,如果名字发生变化。

[/引用]

Attachments

• photo18909.jpg
    photo18909.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I agree and disagree with you on this mate.

It's not so much about convenience, but more about processes and communication.

Processes - SWS, it's a broke. Yoshi conformed that there is a bug with SWS not pushing an updated map to servers. If it was, there wouldn't be the sync issues. I am fine using the other process. I have a separate file server for a redirect and changing an ini file isn't difficult. Stupid it requires a server restart though. At the moment I am no longer using SWS.

Communication - There seems to be less and less chatter about map updating in these forums. For RO2 there was a little process in place with a simple sticky in the custom maps thread alerting server ops about a map update (seen nymets1104 us but no one else). Now you need to check here, have a look at the Steam Workshop for any mention of an update so yeah go through each map and look for a update mention (and yeah if you are not using steam workshop you might have trouble getting the latest map) or try you luck on Discord. It's just making things unnecessarily difficult for server ops.

So my position at the moment is. Name you maps as you want. Some servers will make an effort to update often, some will update sometimes and other will not even know your custom maps exists - unless there is a comp etc.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, pining for the old days wont bring them back. Another generation of mappers has since emerged and Millennials profoundly dislike the use of forums. I don't blame them. I myself find them to be antiquated for the needs and the methods of interaction these days.

Tell you what, though, as a compromise to find a solution to what you're looking for I could keep an up-to-date list of custom maps and mods on the Modding Discord as the one place server ops can go to check since not everyone cares for the forums. Direct links and SWS pages can be provided there as well. It'll essentially be what we were used to on the TWI forums for RO2 but on a different and simpler platform. Anytime someone makes an update you'll know. How does this suit you?

But once TWI fixes the SWS problem, having any kind of list will be moot as all up-to-date map versions will be located on the SWS for servers to update from. And I'll certainly be pushing any mappers that haven't put their maps on the SWS to do so after that point comes as well.

Aside from the SWS problem, TWI should also really bring back the ability for server ops to upload maps without a server restart. In RO2 you could distinctly slip in new maps/updates between maps and update .ini's to the same effect. Now everything requires a restart x(

Upvote 0