• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Map version numbers yes or no

Cat_in_da_Hat

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2006
I am just wondering if including map version numbers in custom map file names is NOT a good idea now that the Steam Workshop seems to be syncing with services.

Just thinking that if this sync is working, there will be a problem if the file name of the latest version of a map provided by the Workshop DOES NOT match the file name that the server is expecting from its ini file.

However if the map name remained the same, so no version number, then the .ini files would not need changing for each map update. And if the workshop sync works, then the server and clients will get the correct file.

Does that make sense ?

Hmmm I dont know. I just had my custom map server go from 64 to zero and it was because of a map download issue.
The way I see it, and I might be wrong.

So as an example the map is VNTE-CatsRuleV1 with a Steam Workshop number 123456789. So on the server it has that number set in the ROEngine.ini so it will always get that map from the Workshop when it is updated and clients will also get the map from the Workshop when the server runs it.

The server admin sets up an ini file called VNTE-CatsRuleV1.ini and that file has all references to the map name CatsRuleV1.

Everything runs as it should.

But then the map gets updated and the map file name is changed to CatsRuleV2.

So here is when it all falls down and things get out of sync. Unless the server admin immediately changes the map's *.ini file to CatsRuleV2, I think the system falls down. The server looks to load a file, the clients may or may not get the V2 file, and strewth what happens with the server version.

However if the map name is constant, I think the client will do a checksum or someting like that, notice the different file size and download the correct file from the Workshop.

Or maybe I am completely wrong. But whatever it is, there is something wrong when maps get updated.

Upvote 0
It works like Killing Floor 2 workshop for servers. Servers regularly check for item update on workshop, and update if needed. Clients will download from workshop if they don't have the file. Mappers should have only one file name and when the item is updated on Steam Workshop, server will catch the update, clients who subscribed the item will also receive the update, and client who do not have the map will download it from workshop. Keeping the same name avoid the problem with new config file and map list to recreate after each update for a map. Keeping same name ensures everyone is on the same boat (but you can keep track of version in the update log on Steam). It ensure client and servers will keep up to date and working.

Upvote 0
Beskar Mando;n2299461 said:
The problem Cat, is people like me who have different Keys than the other 99.99% of mappers seem to have a bunch of issues, for example, I still cannot build lighting or upload to the workshop. So yeah probably a hybrid right now of both, good luck on the headache :p

do you know that you need to use SDKFrontend to upload a map/Mod to the Workshop ?? or this also doesnt work for you?

Upvote 0
Yep that makes no sense to use version in map file name on Steam Workshop, it doesn't hurt clients but it breaks servers using Steam Workshop, no doubt about that.

If you release the map for manual download then you can add version number to map file name to keep track of update, and in that case the server owner will have to manually work on the server anyway (to upload the map, modify maplist, restart the server to let it know that this new map exists and so on..) so.. it doesn't really matter in that case.

But yeah, NO VERSION IN FILE NAME ON STEAM WORKSHOP :D

Reactions: nymets1104
Upvote 0
The server can only be downloaded through the workshop, the first time by the author to upload the same name file content, the author changes the map file name, the server will not be able to run the map correctly, so the author updates the map, please do not modify the map file name
The author only need to update once, modify the file name for the first time upload the file name on it. Or create a new map in workshop
this is the server problem, the server can not get the correct update, unless the update file and the first upload file name exactly the same

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry 5418888888, your talk is a riddle :)

Can a mapper at least try to update their map and not change the file name so we can test if it works at the server end. This process of having the server map file updated by the Workshop is exciting. If we can just move past the version number requirement of mappers then everyone will be better for it. If it works !

Rekrut I know you said you updated but didnt change the map name, but I see it still has V3 in it. So that is the name going forward? Which is fine, but can we do a test to see that when you next update the map, keeping the same name, servers like the one I have set will keep in sync.

I dont understand why all mappers are not embracing this. The concept put forward with Workshop integrated into servers is the best thing for custom content I have seen so far. Normally it is the game developer or steam putting barriers up, but not the mappers !

I hate to come across as too aggressive with all of this, but I see a solution just around the corner. Am a big fan of custom content going back a long way so please dont mistake my passion as being anything but positive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My server a week ago first subscribed http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=951241705 Cambodian Incursion a1-01, Now this map is updated to a2-01. my server can not automatically download to a2-01, always automatically download a1-01

Change the name has no effect, because in the server's Cache folder, the server will always be automatically downloaded a1-01, no matter what I delete any file, change the contents of any ini file

Last edited:
Upvote 0
as mentioned before the a2-01 should be loaded automatically because he cant even download the a1-01 because it is not even on steam anymore i guess. Also you might check the files mentioned a few posts before if some of them still reverence a1-01.
Also my final solution would be end the server remove the a1-01, remove all references in the config files etc... then restart the server. Afterwards just readd the redirect

Upvote 0
Cat_in_da_Hat;n2299666 said:

I dont understand why all mappers are not embracing this. The concept put forward with Workshop integrated into servers is the best thing for custom content I have seen so far. Normally it is the game developer or steam putting barriers up, but not the mappers !

I hate to come across as too aggressive with all of this, but I see a solution just around the corner. Am a big fan of custom content going back a long way so please dont mistake my passion as being anything but positive.

I dont think its a case of not embracing, its more of a case of confusion. The way the map is getting uploaded to the Workshop is different than it was for RO2 as well as the fact that most of these new maps are from people that werent making custom content for RO2. That combined with the unstable SDK which was addressed today should help to stable things out in the coming few days to get everyone on the same page.

Additionally for my map, I included the B1 as this was the preferred way for the RO2 days. Thats how it is named on the SWS as well. So if I push an update without the B1, I am not sure how things will react. The map has over 2000 subs so I think it would be silly to simply create a new workshop item for it and leave all of those people wondering why they didnt get the update. All growing pains I suppose.

Upvote 0