• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

VNSU-Junglerot WIP/Feedback

Srinidhalaya

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
NOW ON STEAM WORKSHOP (Thanks Para94!)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=962594355

Current State: Early concept with initial art. Less than 40% complete (optimistic estimate)

"Greybox" was skipped because the lack of buildings, and such structures, of the concept.

Description: Jungle Rot is based on a fictional location. It's a generic dense jungle atmosphere, with increasing terrain elevation and rock formations in the middle. The theme is the Vietnamese and Cambodian border, where a small tap of the Ho Chi Minh trail feeds supplies to the VC. The center objective is a VC dugout command post. The outskirts of the rocky elevation have two AA emplacements, with natural concealment. A forth objective is a VC supply depot, and a fifth being a wrecked Huey. The US Marines are tasked with search and destroy of enemy forces, and gain control of the crashed huey, by force of Supremacy. Tree stands, and ledges high in the rock formations give access to the VC to ambush the attacking forces. A vast network of tunnels also provide VC the opportunity to move concealed throughout the map. US forces have access to helicopters to transport, recon, and assault the VC guerrillas.

https://imgur.com/a/A6EkF

Screenshots will be uploaded to the above imgur.

Known Issues/In progress features:
-Lightmass Built Lighting
-Large filesize for the published map.
-Steam Workshop support
-Tunnels are incomplete and blocked off. The general construction will be finished soon, without detailing. No lighting for the tunnels will be made until Lightmass is fixed on the SDK. The tunnels will remain blocked off, and inaccessible until then.
-2 more objectives will be added in the near future. Most likely an ammo dump, and a primitive structure, but open to idea's.
-Only a few small patches of jungle have had the under brush and ground cover details (initial pass) laid out. Most of the canopy is complete, but is subject to rework during later art passes.
-No blocking volumes have been built. There might be places around the rocks where you get stuck.
-Reports of tree's floating, these will be addressed as I add the underbrush and ground cover details. If there is any that stick out real bad, please grab some coordinates and post them here.
-Spawn locations are temporary.

I've provided this map to a few server admins at their request. I had no plans to publish a public version for a while, but they really wanted something. This map is far from complete, and is subject to massive changes. Any criticism, feedback, or ideas are all welcome, just be respectful.

I also have a server for testing purposes that will be running this map most of the time.

[Dallas] Custom Map Test Server

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Djembe and Zerovv
Thanks! I'll be publishing to steam workshop a WIP build in the near future, and I'll make a thread then, but it will most likely just be a link back here. Trying to keep everything consolidated.

Also, upcoming WIP updates.
-Fix for choppers losing thrust in the "off map" area.
-Additional choppers. 3 hueys, 1 loach.
-Split the spawns into two spawns per side.
-Climbable vines will properly glow for North team.
-Teams properly set to VC guerrillas and USMC. (thought this was done, but sdk must have crashed before I saved last time)
-Recon plane for South commander.
-Scout ability for North commander.
-Additional concealment art in jungle area's.
-Two additional objectives.
-Various ammo boxes.
-Adjustment to map run time.
-Adjustments to commander ability cooldowns, and limits.

I hope to get these updates done by end of weekend. Subject to change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I should have a new update before the weekend (I Hope)
It adds 2 additional objectives, Cave and Shelter, located between HQ and the two AA sites respectively, each worth a 1 point.
The VC Spawns were relocated by the Depot.
The US Spawns were relocated by the Crash site.
Depot and Crash site were made home bases for the respective teams.
Spawn tickets were reduced to 200 for each team.
Lightmass lighting was added.

Please note, I've also done a drastic change in the jungle ART, to reduce the file size. Lightmass BLOATS the filesize substantially. I have been barely able to get it down to 380megs. This number will only go up as I add in the tunnels, 2nd art pass, and so on. There might be something I've setup wrong, that would reduce the file size. But I've already done quite a bit, and from the primitive stats window, I can see the majority of the file size comes from the lightmaps and shadow maps of the tree's and other foliage, things I'm not willing to sacrifice.

I've had extensive discussions with server admins, and other mappers. The overall consensus of the map makers is, this is what we have to work with. If you want the fidelity and the scale of the maps, they will be large files. Conversely, most of the server admins are extremely hesitant to host large map files, out of fear people wont join their server because of the long download times.

Steam workshop may help alleviate the problem, but for me, it doesn't work. I can't upload at all, I get a "make sure you have a steam connection" error. Others have reported they cannot update a workshop item, and have to create a new one for map updates. I'm sure this will work out in the long run. It will be available on request, as well be live on my test server, [Dallas] Custom Map Test Server (not yet, but should be by this weekend). IF you would like to see the updated version of this map on your favorite server, petition the server admin to add it, and show your support and acceptance of larger map files.

Thanks for supporting the custom content community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Congratulations on your first post here on the forums!
Thanks for taking the time to create and account and post some feedback.
1. The helicopter spawn is closer than it is on An Lao
2. There are 9 different landing spots on the map, with one of them being difficult for novice pilots.

So with all due respect, you should at least try to be civil with your feedback, and bring something with actual substance.

Reactions: nymets1104
Upvote 0
Just played your v5. Thoughts:

Love the dense foliage & with the lighting tools working now I'm sure it will look even better. Maybe denser canopy in spots for extra shadiness? :)

Some standing water in spots could be cool, maybe a hut or two & some other unique stuff to make it a little less uniform. Some boulders scattered around would not look out of place, in fact would tie in well with the cliffs. There's a small clump of ferns object that looks like you should be able to stomp through it, but you can't. They all seem to do that though so maybe it's intentional or hard-coded.

A larger scar from a downed jet as an OBJ instead of the crashed helo?

Saw part of the blocked tunnel around E5, western side IIRC. Also the spot that looks kind of like the A-framed deep bunker @ Delta OBJ on Cu Chi. The tunnels look extensive, I look forward to seeing that. Right now the rocky ledges, which are a nice feature otherwise, make the approaches to the central objectives kind of narrow.

Really liking how you've made the map more vertical. I suggest adding to that, with many more climbable vines and maybe less of a "ledge" in spots. There are some cool small cave-let cubbyhole areas along the ground level rock face - more of those higher up would be interesting. There are also a few spots where the trees are close to cliff face and you can't squeeze through. While realistic, it's harder to judge in the game than IRL so I think blocking those spots off more would be helpful if you're trying to force people away from the rock at times. You could also just move the tree closer in those spots, or even make those climbable as well.

Speaking more to the vertical style of play that I think, combined with the foliage, are the highlights of the map - if it's possible, connecting the tunnels to higher areas in the rock would be neat. You could even add one of your extra objectives at a sort of central junction area inside the peak somewhere. It might be interesting to have one OBJ that's well-protected from artillery and air. You could always add a skylight type of thing if that's OP.

Last thing, ambient sound. I think heavier jungle sounds and maybe some area-specific stuff like dripping water around the rocks & so on would add a lot of atmosphere.

Hope that helps! Definitely one of the better custom maps I've played so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Djembe
Upvote 0