• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Adding Textures to a Terrain

brainfood

Sep 22, 2012
Im new when it comes to using UE and have watched a few tutorials on it. However i am struggling with getting textures added to my terrain. My main issue is if i load an official map i can find TLS textures added to the terrain. However if i load my own map and browse for TLS textures in the content browser i get no results. How do i add the TLS textures to my content browser?

TLS is not a texture its an Terrain Setup Layer

easy steps :

1. open a vanilla map for reference
2. make a new map
3. create a new terrain
4. click on Terrain editing mode ( the Terrain Editor Pops up)
5.open the Content browser
6. sreach for Materials or Materials instances (example, path:Material'M_VN_Common_ScannedTerrain2.Material s.M_SAND-03_PO_anlao')
7.click on it -->Yellow frame
8. in the terrein Editor: right click on the dark Grey window under ( Highmap) and click on ,, New Terrain Setuplayer from Material( selected package)
9. now u ve a texture on your terrain

Upvote 0
BOH-rekrut;n2295610 said:
TLS is not a texture its an Terrain Setup Layer

easy steps :

1. open a vanilla map for reference
2. make a new map
3. create a new terrain
4. click on Terrain editing mode ( the Terrain Editor Pops up)
5.open the Content browser
6. sreach for Materials or Materials instances (example, path:Material'M_VN_Common_ScannedTerrain2.Material s.M_SAND-03_PO_anlao')
7.click on it -->Yellow frame
8. in the terrein Editor: right click on the dark Grey window under ( Highmap) and click on ,, New Terrain Setuplayer from Material( selected package)
9. now u ve a texture on your terrain

when i search for that material i get no results. if i type sand i get no results at all.

edit - think i got it working thanks, wouldnt show up in the search area but if i browsed packages on left i found it in the M_ folder

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the content browser, right click on "external" and hit fully load. do this until it greys out. you wont find assets until they are loaded. you could load specific packages if you know where the assets are located. On vanilla maps, you can also open the TLS properties, and dig through them until you find the material, and there is a magnifying glass that finds it in the content browser for you.

Upvote 0