• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Dedicated Server Setup - Server not in server browsing list

trevmonshta

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 29, 2017
Hello I have begun hosting my server. I have all the ports forwarded that I can think of or find mention of. I can see the server in my favorites (steam server browser list) and the in game favorites list. I can also connect to it with zero issues as well as direct connect to it. This server is hosted outside of my network so it is not LAN. It has been over 4 hours and I can't see it in the list nor can I get information from "View Game Info" when I right click any friends and select the button. It simply says "Server not responding" but viewing game info from the favorites tab in the Steam server browser displays all the correct information. Any other tips for me?

If you're sure everything related to ports is OK, then verify files again and over through SteamCMD by forcing verification, you might have bad files. Also you can try to reset the config folder if it didn't help (delete whole config folder before verifying files with SteamCMD). Server should be visible in browser soon after launch, if you wait more than minutes, then there is a problem.

edit: which ports did you open and forwarded? what is your command line to start server?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We were able to solve the issue. It was an issue with the INPUT command on our linux server. Thank you for your time and help! Could you answer a question for me? Are all servers fairly laggy at 64 players? I've noticed when connecting from locally or through the public side the player pings slowly rise from a legitimate ping to something along the lines of 150-250 ping. Locally when I join I am at 40. When the server reaches 64 I am at 120.... This doesn't make sense. Our server has 24 cores, the cpu is never over 5% usage. The memory consumption is low and we have 32+gb available. The server isn't taxed at all yet the server lags..

Upvote 0
You can have 1548 cores that will not change anything, the server needs raw power on each core. You want a server where the CPU has high frequency, not a big number of cores but high frequency/power. Here is what they recommended back in the days for RO2, it should be pretty the same for RS2:

What I have found is that it looks like an Intel Xeon E31270 @ 3.4 GHZ (3.8 GHZ actually with Turbo enabled) can just handle 64 players now, and is being pushed pretty hard. We've got a last batch of optimizations that we're going to try over the weekend that might bet it down a bit lower so the CPU isn't pushed quite as hard (possibly getting things down by about 5%). We tested on an Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz and that could handle 32 players but I wouldn't try and do 32 players with a machine much slower than that. As mentioned before, the final optimizations might push this down a little, but nothing drastic.

The server is mostly one main thread which needs power to handle players. Also, even with a powerfull CPU you should see at least 50ms added to your ping on a full server, but this has absolutely no consequence on the gameplay, especially now that client side hit detection is almost 'forced' for all servers.

Look at what your game server process is eating as CPU ressources on the single core it is working on, if it almost eats/hits 95% CPU utilization (I mean, on the single core it is working on, not your 24 cores) or more this is where you will have lag spikes and all. If it never eat almost all the CPU/core ressources you should be OK then (I think you should always have lower than 90% utilization or even less to be able to handle these moments where it suddenly needs more ressources to avoid lags).

What are your machine specs? what CPU do you use? To me it seems you have a machine built to handle web servers not gaming servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you omano for your help! You've helped a lot! We are running with quite a few xeon x5670's. They're 6 cores 12 threads each but only at 2.93 ghz. I do see that the cpu utilization on core 1 is at around 90% and lower. I assume this is why we hardly see any lag spikes per say but we just see a lot of high pings and have players questioning it. We do indeed have a web server built here. Typically it does fine with any other games however this is the first game we've had any issue with. I would think the server could utilize cores more efficiently. We run 4 ARK servers on it too but due to this we off loaded those.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately the only thing you can do is lower the slots until you have nice and smooth gaming experience on the server if you see pings going high and 'low' regularly that means you have too much slots for your machine, you may still be able to run the server but the experience would not be at its best. Not a lot of game servers use full potential of multi threading ;[ and that's sad. Other games may also be single threaded like RS2, but less demanding on the CPU because of lower slots count (CS:GO, KF2, games like that) so you do not have problems on them..

To compare your CPU to the supposedly recommended one to handle 64 slots look here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/...
The interesting data is the line about the single thread performance, and your CPU is far from reaching same performance, almost half the recommended one. I have e3-1230V2 and even if its single thread performance seems to be higher, I can barely handle properly 60 slots (but I can do multiple 60 slots servers though), so yeah what it mostly needs is high frequency CPU I think, a 4GHz CPU would be perfect I guess for 64 slots lag free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It seems to do okay till about 56 players. After this the rubberbanding happens probably every couple of minutes or so and only for a second. It hardly affects playability so I think I will upgrade to the fastest cpu available for my motherboards and give it a shot at 64. Motherboard is too old to support the xeon they recommend but I can still get some faster ones without breaking the bank. Found some that will get me up to 3.8ghz with turbo. I appreciate your help omano. I will report back when I put in the new upgrades.

Upvote 0