• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Web Admin Steam Workshop Error

Fritz29thID

Sep 27, 2017
After update 1.04, I've tried adding some custom maps via the Steam Workshop tool in webadmin. I'm aware there are some issues with it currently, however tonight I noticed that when I've tried adding maps, I get this error message. "ERROR: HTTP error: 500 Internal Server Error" Is this a Steam/valve issue or something on my end?

So, I saw in the 1.05.2 hotfix that this issue was fixed, upon trying to add maps and restarting the server, custom maps from the workshop do not show in the map list. Do these maps need an ini. file for them to show or does this still not work? I could just make the ini. and answer my own question, but I figure someone else will probably have this same issue and I know a few other server operators have no clue how to get this working.

Upvote 0
Update: Just like the official Bushranger content update, if you wish to select a map in the change map section of webadmin, you need to create an ini. for the map and upload it to your server config. Seems silly that the goal of the workshop feature was to subvert having to mess with server files but alas at least it saves you the upload of a map. Hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0
Fritz29thID;n2312098 said:
Update: Just like the official Bushranger content update, if you wish to select a map in the change map section of webadmin, you need to create an ini. for the map and upload it to your server config. Seems silly that the goal of the workshop feature was to subvert having to mess with server files but alas at least it saves you the upload of a map. Hope this helps someone.

Still you don't need to upload yourself hundreds of Megas, and you don't have to update map either.. so still an improvement over what custom content management was on RO2/RS1

Upvote 0
omano;n2314402 said:
Still you don't need to upload yourself hundreds of Megas, and you don't have to update map either.. so still an improvement over what custom content management was on RO2/RS1

Eh, Once again, I tried getting information on whether custom maps connected to the steam workshop feature would stay up on a server if the content on steam is taken down. Got nothing. Plus the lack of those maps showing up without the ini. being hand made doesn't really make life easy. Untill answers are given from TWI devs, I'm still doing it the old way just to ensure that I have the content for longevity. Would be nice if TWI checked their own forums though.

Upvote 0
Obviously if Workshop content is taken down from Workshop, you'll not be able to receive it anymore. You'll keep it in theory on the server but people will not be able to receive it, unless you have a backup route (old redirection method) in place to distribute the file then.. if that is what you mean.

This is how the engine work for the INI, you need the INI file to let the engine know the map exists and let the webadmin allow you to use it, it is still annoying to have to write a text file manually but if you're really in need to NOT write it yourself you can still create a simple script like bash file to automatically search for specific file type (like ROE) in specific folder (like CACHE) and then look if a corresponding file (the INI file) exists in the CONFIG folder, and if not, automatically create the INI file regarding the specific map prefix (VNTE, VNSU, or VNSK). I did that for the people I host RS2 servers for (actually they don't use Workshop and still upload the map files and use redirection and the script creates INI file if needed and duplicate the map file to the webserver for the redirection, but it would work exactly the same for files from Workshop system), but as I host on Linux the script will not be compatible with Windows, but pretty sure you can achieve the same on Windows.

Maybe one day they'll make it possible to have the config files for Workshop maps delivered with Workshop too, but do not have too much hope because I eared about that since so long time that this does not seems a priority at all..

edit: when I think about it AMG/TWI could make exactly what I'm talking about and have an optional .BAT file delivered with server files that server admin could use to create INI file automatically if server admin eexecute it in order to automatically create the INI file for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
omano;n2314617 said:
Maybe one day they'll make it possible to have the config files for Workshop maps delivered with Workshop too, but do not have too much hope because I eared about that since so long time that this does not seems a priority at all..

You currently can upload .ini files to the workshop for RS2.

Upvote 0
Ho never read that anywhere. And so Workshop maps which provide the INI just work directly without any admin action after adding workshop item in webadmin?

edit: found out that it is a feature since August 2017 apparently http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1452827317622218334 but now how much is this feature used and does it work properly (when I was still playing and running my own server I was used to half of the thing which I was interested in from changelog were wrong, not working, or not accurate..)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
omano;n2314659 said:
Ho never read that anywhere. And so Workshop maps which provide the INI just work directly without any admin action after adding workshop item in webadmin?

edit: found out that it is a feature since August 2017 apparently http://steamcommunity.com/games/418460/announcements/detail/1452827317622218334 but now how much is this feature used and does it work properly (when I was still playing and running my own server I was used to half of the thing which I was interested in from changelog were wrong, not working, or not accurate..)?

I try to get everyone on the modding discord for RS2 do it, most do. I have example .ini's and instructions on how to set them up properly in the tutorials channel. So most maps should have it at this point.

Upvote 0