• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Clientside vs Serverside hit detection

Floyd

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Waterproof
www.ro50pc.net
Admittedly, after RO:OST I only put in about 550 hours of playtime in RO2/RS and even less admin time before taking leave of the series. I've only participated in wave 7 and the open beta weekend of RS2:VN. So if I've overlooked a recent thread or topic about this, please forgive me and point me in the right direction.

I don't recall the option of having client side hit detection in RO2 servers. If there was, I'm sure I had it set on server side.

What is the general consensus today of server admins? Which is preferred and why?.

Thanks,
Floyd (back from a long hiatus)

RO 2 actually have the option for client/server side detection. I don't know if there is consensus but I can tell you what I think about this.

Client side is better for smoother gameplay and lower CPU load on server side, because it is the client who tells the server from where and where it shoots, and if it has hit. It is better I think for public 64 slots servers to also smooth the ping difference between clients as ping has less if not any effect on the result and it does not overload CPU usage on the machine. Downside I guess is that it opens the gate to more cheating because of that behavior, also people with really high ping may be able to hit you when you though you were hidden, because on his screen he is a little late from the reality on server.

Server side hit detection so eats more CPU on server side because it is checking everything and has the final word on the result. Good thing in a way is that if all players have good ping, it is more fair in the way that it is not what the client sees and does on his screen that is taken for result, but it is what is REALLY happening on the server. That should be preferred in my opinion for clan matches for example. Downside is that player with higher ping can be disadvantaged because he's a little late on what REALLY happens on server. Also you may have to lead your shots a little if your ping is not the best on server.

I can be wrong but that is what I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: JuniperM40
Upvote 0