• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Steam is required to play error?

madmaxpr

May 21, 2017
I keep getting the error "STEAM is required to play the game."

The server is 2016

The bat file I am using is:
start .\Binaries\win64\vngame vnte-hill937?port=9090?maxplayers=32?adminpassword=xxx -multihome=x.x.x.x -log=MyServerLog.log

Server was installed via steamCMD, nothing has been changed from default, just refuses to start, even with the firewall disabled ?

Log file is empty.

I have attempted installing steam and running it from that, the same error appears.

Don't know if the last bit is required, but I have VNTE-CuChi?minplayers=0?maxplayers=64?port=XXXX?querypo rt=XXXX?webadminport=XXXX -seekfreeloadingserver as my startup code and it is working. Everything else, I just configured through webadmin or through configs when I got the base server up. I know R02 some times through a fit about multihome when I have tried to set it up in the past. Maybe that is your issue?

Upvote 0
Rivimies;n2294755 said:
"STEAM is required to play the game." comes when ports are already in use. Check your port definitions in rogame.ini and don't use ?port=NNNN in start line at all.

First time I ear about that but OK. I would assume server would crash when you try to bind it to already used ports. Also why wouldn't you use ?port=xxxx in start command line and use the ini file to set the port?

Upvote 0
That's why it' weird, because THE place to have port definition is the command line where, you define all the ports the server uses lol.

Code:
VNTE-Compound[COLOR=#FFFF00]?Port=7777[/COLOR]?MaxPlayers=64?AdminPassword=superSecretPassword?EnableWebAdmin=true[COLOR=#FFFF00]?WebAdminPort=8080[/COLOR] -log=ServerLog.log -MultiHome=123.123.123.123 -[COLOR=#FFFF00]QueryPort=27015[/COLOR] -UNATTENDED

Upvote 0