• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server crashing when chaning map

Jinxswe

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2011
Trying to get my server up and running. How ever for some reason it's not showing in the server list so I try to change the map in web admin how ever the server crashes all the time.

To note: I had to manually download X3DAudio1_7.dll because it wasn't in the server files.

Attachments

• unreal-v7258-2017.05.15-19.04.39.dmp
    336.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ServerLog-backup-2017.05.15-19.04.39.log
    15 KB · Views: 0
Yoshiro;n2294144 said:

I managed to fix it... how ever now the server gets random lagspikes
And when looking in the log file for the lag spikes alot of scrips stuff shows
ScriptLog: ROGameInfo.TimeReservations 1 0x011000010292F38E timer is -1
ScriptWarning: Accessed None
RONorthPawn VNTE-Firebase.TheWorld:persistentLevel.RONorthPawn_1
Function ROGame.ROPawn:TakeDamage:1084

Attachments

• ServerLog.log
    192 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
L5520 is from an old generation of Xeons; circa 2009-vintage (I use a W3690 Nehalem in my desktop from 2009 for example)

Intel ARK places it in "Products formerly Nehalem EP" - meaning it's pre sandy-bridge. Likely missing some hardware instruction sets that the UE3 engine needs.

The E3-1270 (and v2 and v3) variants are all Sandy Bridge or better (Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, etc.); that CPU is 1 generation too old.

- JM40.

Upvote 0
omano;n2294668 said:
I'm not sure you will be able to start it with this CPU. Your CPU VS recommended CPU:
Code:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1260&cmp[]=1204
Intel Xeon L5520 @ 2.27GHzIntel Xeon E3-1270 @ 3.40GHz
Clockspeed2.3 GHz3.4 GHz
Turbo SpeedUp to 2.5 GHzUp to 3.8 GHz
Single Thread Rating10341920
CPU Mark43878239

The thing is that it's not using alot of CPU... only like 20% when full. And it runs it smooth except for some random lagspikes and the console isnt showing anything

Upvote 0
omano;n2294700 said:
I doubt it is using 20% of your cpu when my 1230v2 goes to more than 100% for one full server sometimes (I think it uses more than 100% because it uses multiple threads to run) how do you check cpu usage?

Anyway if you have lag spikes it means your CPU isn't keeping up, you are overloading it.

So ehm ... WHAT ? more than 100 % are not possible ;)

We got an i7 6700K @ 4 Ghz Processor inside our machine and 1 Gameserver instance with 64 Players online. We had around 4 - 6 % CPU Usage. When map was changing maybe it was a very short time up to 10 %. But definately not more.

So the only reason i can imagine why something is eating up your CPU is : You had Client Side Hit detection off.

Upvote 0
RS2 server uses mainly just one core, just like RO2 server does. _Maybe_ the other server threads (on other cores) take a little more CPU than with RO2 server, but I have no gathered data to back this up, I was just monitoring server for some moments during the Betas.

[rs2.fi] Komppania Törni (in Finland) was full 12 hours every day of the last two Betas. I run it on 4770K @4.2 GHz and with tickrate of 25, the main thread CPU core usage was about 85% (as targeted). Player pings inside Finland were between 36 and 70, depending ofc on client local routes too. NIC is decent dedicated card, with optimized settings for game server (however, I don't think that makes too much of a difference, maybe 1-2 ms, I haven't tested with vanilla NIC settings).

I run some RO2 servers on 6700 @4 GHz too (in Germany) and I think it is a very good CPU for RO2 server. Perhaps server load variation between different maps is greater in RO2 than in RS2 (again, no gathered data, just my experience). But if tickrate is set to give max 90% main thread core load on "worst" map during arty, then the server is giving it's best.

Upvote 0
It may or may not be significant, but we have had a lot of debug line and silly little errors getting dumped into the logs through beta. Writing to the log is quite an expensive operation and because it's a plain text file, as it grows it can cause some performance issues. A lot of these have been fixed for release and we expect the logs to be significantly quieter, which might help with this problem.

Upvote 0
Ton1;n2294703 said:
So ehm ... WHAT ? more than 100 % are not possible ;)

We got an i7 6700K @ 4 Ghz Processor inside our machine and 1 Gameserver instance with 64 Players online. We had around 4 - 6 % CPU Usage. When map was changing maybe it was a very short time up to 10 %. But definately not more.

So the only reason i can imagine why something is eating up your CPU is : You had Client Side Hit detection off.

I think it actually is as my CPU has four physical cores and 8 threads, if RS 2 servers have one main threads and other small ones it can actually use more than 100% (which in my case 100% was one thread full power, I count 100% for one full thread sorry for the confusion). I don't know if that makes sense to you but I was not actually talking about more than 100% for all 4 cores / 8 threads at 100% for one server (where here it can obviously not go over 100% of CPU you're right), but I have recorded use of more than one thread usage (103% - 106% during heavy map load) so I assume RS2 servers use in a way multi thread.

Now we talk about that, AMG staff please give us some more info about CPU usage is RS 2 server strictly single thread (what I don't think at all) or does it actually take advantage of multi threading?

Upvote 0