• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mas49 vs M1 Garand on muzzle velocity (damage)

I have noticed that the M1 Garand seems to be significantly less "punchy" than the mas 49.

Both rifles fire the same round, however, the m1 Garand has a longer barrel than the Mas 49, and as such, it produces slightly more muzzle velocity than the mas 49 (IRL/IRW).

The Mas49 should render slightly less stopping power than the M1. Currently, in-game, the profiles of these two weapons appear to be reversed. The Mas49 does possess significantly more stopping power than the M1 as with the Mas49, a one shot hit will almost always produce a "kill", while this is not so with the M1 Garand. Yes, hitting someone in the torso with the M1 Garand produces significantly less one-shot kills, than with the Mas49.

It SHOULD be the other way around!

Thanks for reading.

-Lux

ok so 7.5 french isn't exactly 30-06, but the issue still remains. The MAS49 has considerably less muzzle velocity.

Actually the 7.5x54 round is significantlly larger than the 30-06 and is therefore more "sluggish" as well.

So, the Mas49 and the M1G should have roughly the same "bite" at close to medium range, with the Mas49 providing significantly less "knock-down" power at further ranges, but retaining a minor advantage ballistics-wise, at closer ranges (further=past 75m,, closer=under 75m).

The M1G, in game, should be producing and retaining significantly more energy with its shots, than it currently is. It would also be nice to have a louder and more powerful muzzle "crack" coming off of shots with the M1G.

Somebody challenge these assertions, if you think I am wrong... :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
French Balle C: 139 gr bullet @ 820 m/s = ~3,000 J of energy at muzzle

US M2 Ball: 150 gr bullet @ 855 m/s = 3,600 J of energy at muzzle

The American round has about 20% more energy at muzzle than it's French counterpart. Muzzle energy doesn't necessarily translate into more lethal ammunition - the best comparison would be between the wound profiles of both rounds - but it seems reasonable to say, assuming similar terminal ballistics, that a heavier bullet, travelling faster, should do somewhat more damage than a lighter bullet travelling slower.

I haven't myself noticed much difference between the Garand and the MAS-49 in terms of damage. The major difference between the two, in my experience so far, is that the MAS-49 seems to jump heavily on firing, which makes it much less useful at close quarters than the Garand. I also prefer the sights on the M1 to the French rifle.

Reactions: LuxCapere
Upvote 0