• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ideas for New NVA / NLF weapons

VTD75

Sep 23, 2017
Over the past few updates, Rising Storm 2 has received a variety of new weapons to expand gameplay options. Unfortunately, in all but one case, these new additions have been exclusively for the US / AUS / ARVN faction, leaving the NVA / NLF side largely bereft of new content.

The lop-sided nature of the updates means that playing as the NVA / NLF can be substantially less enjoyable than playing as the US / AUS / ARVN. While Southern forces have a varied arsenal across maps, Northern players have to make do with more or less the same weaponry for each map, old or new.

Part of this, I suspect, owes to the fact that besides a few well-known weapons such as the AKM or SKS, many communist-bloc weapons that were used by, or available to, the North Vietnamese are much more obscure for western audiences, and possibly, the developers included. As such, I wanted to post this thread to shine a light on some of the other weapons that historically saw service with the NVA and NLF, and which could plausibly be added to the game.

Note that this isn't a wishlist; it's just an assortment of ideas for potential future options.
Historicity rating guide:
Directly mentioned by many sources to have been used in the Vietnam war
Directly mentioned by a few sources to have been used in the Vietnam war
Not directly mentioned, but either indirectly referenced by source, or plausible for the conflict

Vz. 58 Assault Rifle

Country of Origin: Czechoslovakia

Historicity rating: ***

Description: The Vz. 58 is a gas-operated assault rifle developed by Czechoslovakia in the late 1950's, firing the 7.62 x 39mm cartridge. While, to the untrained eye, it may appear similar to the AK-47, its internal operating system is substantially different. Compared to the AK-47, the Vz. 58 is substantially lighter and somewhat more accurate, but has a higher rate of automatic fire and is somewhat more complicated to manufacture and maintain.

A number of sources mention the Vz. 58 as having been supplied to North Vietnam, and there is apparently some photographic evidence of their use by both Vietnamese soldiers, as well as captured examples in American hands.

Gameplay Note: The Vz. 52 could provide players with an alternative to the AK-47 / Type 56. Compared to the AK-47, the Vz. 52 could be somewhat more accurate in single-shot mode, but faster-firing and less precise in full-auto.

Type 63 Assault Rifle

Country of Origin: China

Historicity rating: **

Description: The Type 63 is an automatic rifle developed by the People's Republic of China in the early 1960's. It is often described as a hybrid between the SKS and AK-47 rifles. Chinese doctrine of the period emphasized accurate individual shooting, rather than automatic fire, and the Type 63 reflects this philosophy. The Type 63 lacks a pistol grip, and has a longer barrel and smaller magazine (20 rounds) than the AK-47, but possesses an automatic fire mode and detachable magazine that the SKS lacks.

Though it was manufactured in relatively large numbers, the Type 63 was generally considered an unsatisfactory compromise, and was largely passed over for the existing Type 56. Significant quantities were supplied to North Vietnam, but do not seem to have had very distinguished service.

Gameplay Note: The Type 63 could provide a unique new option for Assault classes. Compared with the AK-47, it could have better range and single-shot accuracy, with a limited automatic capability for close combat.

Vz. 52 Semi-Automatic Rifle

Historicity rating: *

Description: The Vz. 52 is a semi-automatic battle rifle firing an intermediate cartridge, similar to the SKS, developed by Czechoslovakia directly following WWII. Unlike the SKS, the Vz. 52 was magazine fed, though magazines could be topped-up with stripper clips as on the SKS.

The Vz. 52 fired the 7.62x45 mm cartridge, which had slightly superior ballistics to the Soviet 7.62x39 mm M43 ammunition; late production guns were chambered for the M43 round (Vz. 52 / 57)

I am not aware of any direct references to the use of the Vz. 52 in Vietnam, but its use in the Vietnam war is highly likely, as surplus rifles were supplied in bulk to Communist allies in the 1960's.

Gameplay Note: The Vz. 52 could provide players with a semi-automatic alternative to the SKS; the Vz. 52 could be faster reloading (thanks to its magazine fed) and marginally harder-hitting than its Soviet cousin.

Mauser K98k Bolt-Action Rifle Derivatives (E.g Czech Vz. 24, Chinese Type 24, etc.)

Country of Origin: China, Soviet Union (Captured supplies)

Description: Large numbers of Mauser-pattern rifles were used by the Viet Minh and Viet Cong during the early parts of the Indochina wars. Against the French, Mausers were often the main infantry arm of Viet Minh troops, and subsequently, many were used by irregular forces in South Vietnam.

The Soviet Union provided large numbers of Mausers as foreign aid; these were either K98ks or similar weapons such as the Czech Vz. 24, that had been captured in WWII from Germany. Additionally, Mauser pattern weapons such as the Type 24 – a Chinese analogue to the K98 – had served as the primary Chinese rifle in WWII, and large numbers of left-over rifles were supplied to Vietnam during the 1950s.

Gameplay Note: The Mauser could provide an alternative to un-scoped Mosin-Nagant rifles for NVA/NLF players; models for this weapon could potentially (?) be drawn from existing assets for Red Orchestra 2.

K-50M Submachine Gun

Country of Origin: North Vietnam

Description: The K-50M was a domestic Vietnamese version of the PPsh-41. The internal features of the gun are identical to their Soviet forebear, but the Vietnamese altered the external layout of the gun. The K-50 has a shortened barrel jacket, pistol grip, and a wire stock. These alternations made the weapon somewhat handier and easier to maneuver.

Gameplay Note: The K-50 could provide an additional variant for the PPsh-41 submachine gun, potentially offering a similar trade-off in maneuverability and accuracy as in the relationship between the Ithica full-stock and 'patrol' variants.

Sa vz. 23 Submachine Gun

Description: The Sa. 23 is a compact submachine gun designed in Czechoslovakia shortly after WWII. It is chiefly notable for its use of a telescoping bolt to reduce the length of the gun; this feature would go on to be used on the well-known Uzi SMG. Early models of this weapon were chambered in 9mm parabellum, while later versions (Sa. 24, 26) fired the Soviet 7.62x25 Tokarev cartridge.

Surplus Sa. 23 pattern SMGs were exported to friendly Communist nations throughout the 1960's, including Vietnam, though it does not appear to have seen particularly widespread service there.

Gameplay Note: The Sa. 23 could provide a high-mobility SMG to NVA/NLF players. With a folded stock, the Sa. 23 is extremely compact, and players could plausibly be made more mobile when using in than with other SMGs.

Å korpion vz. 61 Submachine Gun

Historicity rating: *

Description: The Vz. 61 is a compact machine-pistol designed in Czechoslovakia in the early 1960's. It is chambered for the .380 ACP pistol cartridge. The Vz. 61 was intended not as a standard infantry weapon, but rather as a 'personal defense weapon' (PDW), to be issued to individuals such as vehicle crews, who did not or could not carry full-sized rifle or SMG, but need a weapon more effective than a simple pistol.

The Vz. 61 features an integral rate-reduction mechanism in the pistol grip. Combined with the fold-out stock and low-power ammunition, the Vz. 61 is, despite its small size, highly controllable when firing fully automatic.

Some sources indicate that the Vz. 61 was exported to Vietnam during the war, but it does not seem to have made a significant impression on the conflict.

Gameplay Note: Due to its low-power ammunition, the Vz. 61 would make a somewhat disappointing alternative to other SMGs; it would, however, make for an interesting pistol option. Providing a low-powered, but fully automatic sidearm would produce interesting gameplay options for NVA/NLF players.

RPK Light Machine Gun

Country of Origin: Soviet Union

Description: The RPK is a heavy-barrel variant of the AK-47 assault rifle, designed to fill the role of squad automatic weapon, and was fielded during the early 1960's as a successor to the RPD machine gun. Save for its longer barrel, integral bipod and reinforced construction, it is generally similar to the smaller AK-47. The gun feeds either from extended 40 round box magazines, or 75 round drums.

Gameplay Note: The RPK replace or supplement the RPD machine gun on later-era maps. Compared to the RPD, it would be quicker to load, but have a smaller magazine size. Additionally, unlike the RPD, it would have a single-shot firing mode – as with the Australian L2, the RPD could potentially be used for accurate single-shots, fired from a bipod.

PK General-Purpose Machine Gun

Description: The PK machine gun is a gas-operated, general-purpose machine gun fielded by the Soviet Union beginning in the early 1960s. It is generally comparable to the American M-60, but is widely considered to have been much more successful and reliable than its American equivalent. The slightly improved PKM variant remains in widespread service today.

Gameplay Note: The PK could provide an alternative to the RPD machine gun, offering better range and hitting-power, but less effectiveness when fired 'from the hip'.

ZB vz. 26 Light Machine Gun

Description: The ZB-26 is a magazine-fed light machine gun, designed in Czechoslovakia prior to WWII. It was an extremely successful and prolific design, serving with a variety of countries, as well as serving as the basis for the well-known British Bren gun LMG. The ZB-26, and its derivatives, were widely praised as being reliable, accurate and controllable.

Amongst the many users of the ZB-26 was pre-1949 (Kuomintang) China, which license-produced the weapon in 8x57mm. As the new communist government received new foreign and domestic weapons, older leftovers from the Nationalist period were provided abroad as aid for allies such as North Vietnam.

Gameplay Note: The ZB-26 could provide an alternative to the DP-28 machine gun, especially on 'early period' maps where the RPD is unavailable. The ZB-26, in game, could potentially be more accurate and quicker to reload than the DP-28, but perhaps less handy to fire from the hip.

RPG-2 Anti-Tank Grenade Launcher

Country of Origin: Soviet Union, Vietnam (As B-40)

Description: The RPG-2 is a simple, recoilless, shoulder-fired anti-tank weapon fielded by the Soviet Union in the late 1940's, and subsequently widely exported. Unlike the later RPG-7, the RPG-2 is not rocket propelled; the warhead is entirely propelled by a small powder charge in the launch tube. As a result, the RPG-2 has a substantially shorter range than the RPG-7.

The RPG-2 was produced in by North Vietnam during the war as the B-40; it was used at least as widely as the RPG-7, especially in the earlier years of the conflict.

Gameplay Note: The RPG-2 could provide an interesting alternative to the RPG-7 for NVA/NLF players. Compared with the RPG-7, the RPG-2 a slower projectile in a ballistic trajectory, permitting indirect attacks that are impossible with the RPG-7 as implemented in the game. Additionally, the RPG-2 was somewhat lighter than its successor, and players using the RPG-2 could potentially be allowed to move faster or carry more ammunition than with the RPG-7. Finally, the RPG-2 is the more historically-accurate option for 'early period' maps, as it was available to the Vietnamese much earlier than the more advanced RPG-7.

Last edited:
VTD75;n2321514 said:
Vz. 58 Assault Rifle

Vz. 58 is very historically accurate. Perun58 made a very informative post in an another topic a while back, which tells that a bit under 100k guns ended to the Vietnam before the war ended:
https://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...82#post2288682

That post also answers to the questions of how many of the other Czech guns were used. I personally think only the Vz. 58 "deserves" to have it's place in the game.

VTD75;n2321514 said:
RPK Light Machine Gun

I don't have exact numbers for this, but while the RPK was used in the conflict, it definitely was quite rare.

VTD75;n2321514 said:
PK General-Purpose Machine Gun

Were those really used in the Vietnam War? Haven't seen any photos or other proof for that. PK machine guns were definitely used by Vietnam years later in the Cambodian-Vietnamese War.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Marsalkka Mahtimeisseli;n2321642 said:
Vz. 58 is very historically accurate. Perun58 made a very informative post in an another topic a while back, which tells that a bit under 100k guns ended to the Vietnam before the war ended:
https://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...82#post2288682

That post also answers to the questions of how many of the other Czech guns were used. I personally think only the Vz. 58 "deserves" to have it's place in the game.

Thank you for the link! I've increased the rating of the Vz. 58 accordingly.

I suspect that the number of Vz. 52 may be greater than Perun58's source suggests - the Czechs produced something in the neighborhood of 200,000 rifles, of which pretty much all would have been candidates for export. Obviously, the Vietnamese didn't get the entire bunch, but I would be surprised if only a few thousand carbines were supplied while the Vz. 58 was being provided in such great numbers.

I've seen a few sources reference usage and capture of Vz. 52 carbine. It's understandable that the Vietnamese wouldn't have been particularly taken with this (otherwise superb) carbine - it used a unique cartridge only obtainable from Czechoslovakia, and there were plenty of automatic rifles available anyway. There does seem to have been some usage of the weapon, but units probably discarded it as soon as more AK-47s became available.

I don't have exact numbers for this, but while the RPK was used in the conflict, it definitely was quite rare.

The RPD was definitely better represented in the war, probably because the NVA could benefit from Chinese production even long after manufacture had stopped in the Soviet Union.

Were those really used in the Vietnam War? Haven't seen any photos or other proof for that. PK machine guns were definitely used by Vietnam years later in the Cambodian-Vietnamese War.

Books covering the PK / PKM almost invariably reference the Vietnam war - but rarely with citations. This may be reflective of a very widespread misconception; I don't know either way. All I can say for sure is that a variety of sources seem to indicate it's use, but don't go into specifics.

It may simply be that, as a crew-served weapon, the PK simply had fewer opportunities for 'photo-ops'. The Vietnamese had much more incentive to circumspect about GPMG placement, and more diligent in recovery of weapons during retreat, then they did with lighter weaponry. Also, unlike individual weapons, the heavier PK presented little opportunities for 'bring-back' trophies for American soldiers.

Given the constantly high demand for infantry weapons due to loss or destruction, I would wager that the PK probably ended up in Vietnam in some numbers by the end of the war, especially considering that contemporary or newer weapons, such as the RPG-7, Strela-2 missile and Malyutka missile, showed up as well. The pace of combat was such that the NVA probably ran through existing supplies of legacy weapons like the SG-43, Maxim M1910/30 and MG-34 / 42 before the war was over.

JokersWarPig;n2321646 said:
I'm 100% ok with the sapper getting the K50. There are a lot of accounts of that thing being used by them at Khe Sahn, Hill 881N and Hill 881S.

Am I the only one who thinks on maps where the NVA are attacking they should get Satchel Charges as an option?

I had exactly the same thought about satchel charges while I was playing today. They are absolutely historically correct, as the NVA used them quite a bit. A friend of mine suggested that the Sapper class should get satchel charges in lieu of mines, which aren't terribly useful on the attack.

Upvote 0
VTD75;n2321672 said:
Given the constantly high demand for infantry weapons due to loss or destruction, I would wager that the PK probably ended up in Vietnam in some numbers by the end of the war, especially considering that contemporary or newer weapons, such as the RPG-7, Strela-2 missile and Malyutka missile, showed up as well. The pace of combat was such that the NVA probably ran through existing supplies of legacy weapons like the SG-43, Maxim M1910/30 and MG-34 / 42 before the war was over.
My idea is that the PK wouldn't had made it to the Vietnam War, especially not in any meaningful numbers, because there were other weapons filling the role of GPMG. Two main ones being the Soviet RP-46 and Chinese Type 67. Type 67 could be represented "realistically" in the current state of the game, but I think it wouldn't have bipod (introduced to the Type 67-1 in 1978) nor the tripod. It had 100-round drum containers that could be attached to the weapon. Both RP-46 and Type 67 also had 250 round belts, but the containers holding those belts can't be attached to the weapons, so those couldn't be used same way as the current machine guns in the game. The solution to the problem might come in future, since according to the RS2 Trello "Placable Heavy Machineguns" are coming on some future update.

Czech built Uk Vz. 59 machine guns were also used in Vietnam, but I don't have any idea of how many.

One thing that was used in vast quantities in the Vietnam War by the VC/NVA was the rifle grenades. What I've found out, some Polish Kbkg wz. 1960 were captured, but the most common ones were the ones used on the M/44 Mosin Carbines, which were more or less copies of the US designed M7 Grenade Launcher. Maybe we could have these for Commies, and M72 LAWs for Yankees?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Marsalkka Mahtimeisseli;n2321676 said:
My idea is that the PK wouldn't had made it to the Vietnam War, especially not in any meaningful numbers, because there were other weapons filling the role of GPMG. Two main ones being the Soviet RP-46 and Chinese Type 67. Type 67 could be represented "realistically" in the current state of the game, but I think it wouldn't have bipod (introduced to the Type 67-1 in 1978) nor the tripod. It had 100-round drum containers that could be attached to the weapon. Both RP-46 and Type 67 also had 250 round belts, but the containers holding those belts can't be attached to the weapons, so those couldn't be used same way as the current machine guns in the game. The solution to the problem might come in future, since according to the RS2 Trello "Placable Heavy Machineguns" are coming on some future update.

Czech built Uk Vz. 59 machine guns were also used in Vietnam, but I don't have any idea of how many.

I strongly considered both the Uk Vz. 59 and the Type 67 when putting together this list; I decided to omit them because, together with the PK, they all seemed to cover the same role, and I didn't want to over-concentrate on the GPMG niche.

The Type 67 apparently saw service in Vietnam, but only toward the very end. Considering that it only went into production in 1967, and the chaos of Cultural Revolution-era Chinese industry, it's probably easy to see why. I doubt that the Chinese would have supplied the weapon in quantity before equipping their own units, so it likely missed the bulk of the fighting in Vietnam.

The Uk vz. 59 probably saw action in at least some numbers in Vietnam, though probably even less than the PK. The Uk vz. 59 seems to have been a basically competent design, but not particularly noteworthy and possessing of a few unusual or awkward features (pistol grip used as cocking lever, downward ejection, etc.) - hence my preference for the PK.

As far as the RP-46 goes, I would agree that the lack of a belt-holder makes individual usage less plausible. However, we now have the M1919A6 in-game, dragging around a 200 round loose belt, so perhaps anything is possible...

Marsalkka Mahtimeisseli;n2321676 said:
One thing that was used in vast quantities in the Vietnam War by the VC/NVA was the rifle grenades. What I've found out, some Polish Kbkg wz. 1960 were captured, but the most common ones were the ones used on the M/44 Mosin Carbines, which were more or less copies of the US designed M7 Grenade Launcher. Maybe we could have these for Commies, and M72 LAWs for Yankees?

The problem with rifle grenades is that they were the old-fashioned blank-firing types, rather than more modern and convenient 'shoot-through' or 'bullet-trap' types. In order to fire, not only does the user have to affix the grenade launcher cup, but they also have to reload the rifle with blank rounds, which was naturally very inconvenient if an enemy suddenly appeared at close range.

One idea that came to mind for explosive / support weapons was the Chinese Type 63 60mm mortar, which at only 12.3 kg, and possessing a convenient carry handle, could plausibly be moved by one man. The Soviet 50mm PM 38 / 40 / 41 series would be an even better choice, considering the very short ranges involved (max. range only 800 m), but the supplies of 50mm weapons and ammunition were all from WWII surplus, as production had ended by the time of the Vietnam war.

I agree with the suggestion of the M72 for the southern side; as with the B-40 / RPG-2, it is one of those well-known weapons whose absence is difficult to explain.

Upvote 0
VTD75;n2321741 said:
The problem with rifle grenades is that they were the old-fashioned blank-firing types, rather than more modern and convenient 'shoot-through' or 'bullet-trap' types. In order to fire, not only does the user have to affix the grenade launcher cup, but they also have to reload the rifle with blank rounds, which was naturally very inconvenient if an enemy suddenly appeared at close range.

I think the grenade launcher "cup" (or rather "tube") allows to be shot through with live ammunition, so it can be always on the rifle. But yes, you'd have to reload the weapon with a blank-type round and put the grenade on the device at the end of the muzzle. Maybe inconvenient, but I think it would have it's place in the game.

Upvote 0
I made same post for requesting this , Actually they used weapons from warsaw pact , this includes east german mpi-km , pmd63 romanian akm , czech vz58 , sks type63 , pk machine gun , pps43 , and weapons that soviet union captures from germany , this includes kar98k , mp40 , mg42 34 , stg44 , . So having all those weapons in , this game would be far more fun to play , because its not like other games one ak variant

Upvote 0