• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Correcting AK models / stats

Poonani Crush

Jun 14, 2018
I did a search and this topic hasn't been extensively mentioned; the variants of the AK-47 are the incorrect type/model for the period.

The AKM is okay, but the Type-56 and Type-56-1 should be machined receivers and not stamped ones. The vast, Vastmajority of the ones captured are of the machined received type and the stamped ones were quite rare for the Vietnam conflicts. I know it is unlikely to be changed like the SVT bolt color in RO2, but it should be corrected.

Another thing is the weapon stats for each variation; these statistics are either mislabeled or just don't make sense.

For example, based on the scroll-over statistics the AKM should have a lower rate of fire (ROF reduction mechanism) versus the type-56, but all AK variants are listed as FireRate-6. It would be correct for the fire-rate to be lower, but it doesn't appear so in game. The range on the AKM is also 4 instead of 5 on the t56/t56-1 which also doesn't make sense considering they are all essentially the same. How it should be is that the T56 and AKM are effectively the same except for rate of fire, which is lower on the AKM. The Mobility and Recoil factor on the Type-56-1 should be increased by 1 compared to the other variants, which would make sense for the configuration it is in.

If the stats are correct in the menu, then by default the Type-56-1 is the best overall as it has the mobility bonus without the range-drawback of the AKM.

TL;DR:
-Make Type 56 and Type 56-1 machined received models
-Set AKM Fire rate to 5, Range to 5, and Mobility to 6
-Set Type-56-1 Recoil to 2
-If the Type 56 and Type 56-1 are changed in the game to machined receivers, the recoil and mobility factors should be reduced to the heavier weight.

Poonani Crush;n2321171 said:
I did a search and this topic hasn't been extensively mentioned; the variants of the AK-47 are the incorrect type/model for the period.

The AKM is okay, but the Type-56 and Type-56-1 should be machined receivers and not stamped ones. The vast, Vastmajority of the ones captured are of the machined received type and the stamped ones were quite rare for the Vietnam conflicts. I know it is unlikely to be changed like the SVT bolt color in RO2, but it should be corrected.

Another thing is the weapon stats for each variation; these statistics are either mislabeled or just don't make sense.

For example, based on the scroll-over statistics the AKM should have a lower rate of fire (ROF reduction mechanism) versus the type-56, but all AK variants are listed as FireRate-6. It would be correct for the fire-rate to be lower, but it doesn't appear so in game. The range on the AKM is also 4 instead of 5 on the t56/t56-1 which also doesn't make sense considering they are all essentially the same. How it should be is that the T56 and AKM are effectively the same except for rate of fire, which is lower on the AKM. The Mobility and Recoil factor on the Type-56-1 should be increased by 1 compared to the other variants, which would make sense for the configuration it is in.

If the stats are correct in the menu, then by default the Type-56-1 is the best overall as it has the mobility bonus without the range-drawback of the AKM.

TL;DR:
-Make Type 56 and Type 56-1 machined received models
-Set AKM Fire rate to 5, Range to 5, and Mobility to 6
-Set Type-56-1 Recoil to 2
-If the Type 56 and Type 56-1 are changed in the game to machined receivers, the recoil and mobility factors should be reduced to the heavier weight.

Simply not true about the 56s and 56s1, they were the main AK and there's quite a few photos of us capturing stamped models of Chicom AKs a plenty, hell there's even photos of our guys with captured AMD65s, Romanian PM63s, East German MPiKMs rifles. Early war most of the ones we were pulling off the PAVN/VC were milled, but that started to seemingly change around '68.

The only stamped model of AK I have not seen in Vietnam War era (1960-1975)are Soviet AKMs. Zero. The only photo that came close was a photo I've researched that actually came from Rhodesia. If anything the AKM needs to be removed and they could give us milled guns in turn.

Upvote 0
I made post for change of AKs a year ago here:
https://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...-the-akm-model

AKM actually has quite a few inaccuracies on it's model.

Sadly no model changes were done despite fact that most of them are quick and easy and I see no reason not to do them so I don't really understand TWI here.

Machined receivers for Type56 would be in my opinion more interesting, I agree.

I know the AKM has rof reducer but I did not find too much information about how it actually changes the rifle. I believe I even read few times that it doesn't change rof at all and it is meant to improve accuracy. Also all sources I know about put rof for Type 56, AK47 and the AKM to the same value of 600. So I am unsure if it really should have such effect in game.

As Jeffbnasty said though the AKM should not be in the game in the first place. It is in my opinion same case as Mkb42 in previous title. There is no evidence I know of about AKM in Vietnam and even if it was there it definitely would not be used by a Vietcong rifleman. So I would like to see it removed as well. Currently the AKM is not even limited.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jeffnasty;n2321602 said:
Simply not true about the 56s and 56s1, they were the main AK and there's quite a few photos of us capturing stamped models of Chicom AKs a plenty, hell there's even photos of our guys with captured AMD65s, Romanian PM63s, East German MPiKMs rifles. Early war most of the ones we were pulling off the PAVN/VC were milled, but that started to seemingly change around '68.

The only stamped model of AK I have not seen in Vietnam War era (1960-1975)are Soviet AKMs. Zero. The only photo that came close was a photo I've researched that actually came from Rhodesia. If anything the AKM needs to be removed and they could give us milled guns in turn.

Two problems:
1. I have had an incredibly hard time finding any Vietnam photos with stamped guns. It is rare, and you have to do a lot of digging to find them. Google "AK in vietnam" and you will maybe see 1 stamped AK per every 20 period photographs. The rest are milled.

2. The stamped guns were the newest tech at the time, hence why China/USSR was sending primarily milled guns as aid. The stamped ones are lighter, so you aren't going to keep the heavy old guns and send out the newer, lighter ones. It doesn't make sense and it doesn't line up with reality.

The AKM being there is odd, but its dumb to just take it out IMO. Its kind of neat to see and doesn't detract from the realism so much to make it a game-breaker. Fix or add more variants, and make it so you can pickup ammo from all.

Upvote 0