• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More differences between the VC and NVA

Arisaka99

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2016
As of now, they're virtually identical with the exception of uniforms and 2 weapons.
The NVA, being a conventional army using conventional tactics, should use conventional tactics and equipment in the game to reflect history.
The VC should be more "guerrilla like", give them more outdated weapons, or at least take out the super advanced AKM and RPG-7.
Whatever happens, there should be a legitimate difference in playstyle

How guerilla like can you make them, for most players in the ends its always sprint toward enemy and get shot. People complain they want more guns, not less, so taking away things wouldn't necessarily help.

Larger maps with weapons cache/tunnel destroying objective would warrant a guerilla war. Not running into objective to get points.

Upvote 0
Kaleun;n2304704 said:
How guerilla like can you make them, for most players in the ends its always sprint toward enemy and get shot. People complain they want more guns, not less, so taking away things wouldn't necessarily help.

Larger maps with weapons cache/tunnel destroying objective would warrant a guerilla war. Not running into objective to get points.

The VC used a lot of weapons during the war, taking away the AKs and replacing them with M1 Carbines, MAS 49/56s and Arisaka rifles would be awesome.
Well stated by someone on a similar thread:

"The Viet Cong/NLF were an underground guerrilla force, essentially a militia, fighting however and with whatever they could get their hands on. While there were some units armed with automatic weapons by the NVA, most of them used guns from WW2, the French, and whatever cheap knockoff guns they could make themselves out of scrap metal. They wouldn't have had access to the modern AKM, RPD, Makarov, or the RPG-7. Maybe the standard AK and RPG-2 at the most. They mostly likely did not have portable radios either, and they sure as hell did not have surface to air missiles."

Upvote 0
I agree that the VC are just a reskin of the NVA, with a few token weapons like the Mosin, DP-28, and no SVD. Same with the USMC and US army although those were much closer IRL. I also agree that weapons alone might not be enough, and that maps could play a big part. Maybe a search and destroy gamemode would be interesting with extensive tunnels and villages, and US troops having to destroy weapons caches and kill VC.

For weapons I like the VC grunt/guerrilla class with unlimited spots shouldn't have the AK, only older weapons, the specific ones don't mater much, personally I'm thinking SKS, Mosin, Mas36/51, and M1 Carbine. Add an elite rifleman class like in RO2 that has access to AKs, and maybe M16s too. The elite rifleman wouldn't have traps, and the grunt would have more or better traps, maybe more than 1 punji board, maybe a reusable punji pit.

VC should lose the SAM

VC should also get the B-40 /RPG-2 instead of the RPG-7/B-41.

Make the NVA play more like the Americans, have them spawn on SLs, all have AKs, and maybe give them more arty, like a light mortar barrage that can be used often.

Another interesting idea would be making weapons map specific instead of just faction specific, so on some maps the USMC only gets M14s, or the VC gets AKs in the 70s when they were mostly made up of NVA regulars.

Reactions: Arisaka99
Upvote 0
JokersWarPig;n2309073 said:
The VC could Benefit from having more WW2 weapons in their kit.
The PPSH-43, M1 Carbine, and M1 Garand immediately come to mind. The MP40 would also work. Even some Japanese weapons like the Arisaka, Type 96 and Type 100 would be cool for variety, but I believe SUPER rare irl.

M1 carbines and garands would be even rarer than Japanese weapons. During WW2 that area was fought between the Japanese and British forces. When the Japanese started losing the war they retreated fast. Leaving behind all sorts of weapons. Which were all quickly grabbed and stored by local forces.

Upvote 0
As the war progressed the VC actually did start getting better and better armed. They got a lot of material support from the North, NVA regulars even integrated into their ranks sometimes.
I also still see people bring up the AKM being an advanced weapon for some reason. I agree the weapon was probably extremely uncommon in general(which would be why you'd remove it), but it wasn't really any more advanced than a Type-56.

I do completely agree in general though on the subject of further diversifying factions where possible.

Reactions: Arisaka99
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2309096 said:
M1 carbines and garands would be even rarer than Japanese weapons. During WW2 that area was fought between the Japanese and British forces. When the Japanese started losing the war they retreated fast. Leaving behind all sorts of weapons. Which were all quickly grabbed and stored by local forces.

???
M1 Garands and Carbines were standard issue for the ARVN. Japanese and British weapons would be rare, yes, but American WW2/Korean surplus would be extremely common.

Upvote 0
that said I think people underestimate just how varied the french armament in indochina was. they were beneficiaries of massive aid/assistance from all over the western bloc & in addition to big reparations paid, by way of captured/surrendered arms.
of course meaning we do see line troops with the newer gear, but there were a heck of alot of north african & asian legionaire units, using reparated weapons, & then france of course many many irregular defense units, raised from locals etc, armed with all kinds of hand me downs. Garands were definitely a thing, & the M1 carbine was still probably more popular again, with the small statured asians, map reading officers & para's. & ofcourse The US was half bankrolling the whole shown, by late in that war.

not saying M1's should be included in VC classes, but surely atleast another french produced firearm would be fitting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2309213 said:
No. M2 carbines were standard issue for ARVN. Garands in very limited numbers.

Both M1 and M2 carbines were standard issue, not all of them were converted into the select fire variant. Garands were quite common, not to the same extent as the Carbines, but still had a significant presence amount the ARVN and NLF. South Vietnam used M1 Garands, BARs, Thompsons and such until the very end.

Upvote 0