• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TE-AnLaoValley - is it meant to be this open?

Obviously this map is based off the SU version, and SU is a completely open map structure.

However, for TE I think it doesn't make much sense. After all, it's supposed to be a linear struggle culminating in the epic capture of the Hill Base overlooking the valley.

At the moment the Base is open to any side, the NVA can easily get snipers into the base to overlook the valley, the same with the US obviously, and so the base turns into a sneaky mini-deathmatch taking focus away from the main objective.

Also it makes little sense that the NVA is able to get into an almost empty base, which later in the game is the focus of the battle.

It's very unusual for TE maps allowing players to freely roam behind the enemy lines, ok so this is Vietnam and guerilla warfare, but we are talking about an established US OP. Was it just left empty by the US before the battle?

I think a good idea would be to lock the base off to the US at the start, allowing the US the place their snipers and possibly MG/Commander, if they can afford to not have them in the cap zone. Of course then it would be the job of the NVA snipers to take care to take out the threats in the base. Snipers are generally pretty useless in this close-range jungle warfare but this would allow some cool sniper battles I think. Maybe the NVA Commander could have a decision to use a barrage on the base to clear it out.

Obviously to balance out the slight advantage this would give the US, there are things that could be done, like less choppers for the US, less F4 strikes, spawns further from the caps etc etc.

Other than that I think the map is pretty fun and I kind of think I prefer it to the SU version, which tends to be a chaotic deathmatch with very little teamplay.

Last edited:
So I had a play tonight of the TE map, and it appears the base is blocked off for the NVA from the start now. Not sure when that happened, gotta remember to actually check before posting, d'oh. So yeah basically ignore this...

Although, it was kind of really unbalanced in favor of the US, might be down to a shitty team though.

Upvote 0