• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Tunnels should not be destroyed just because an objective was captured

Raven1986

Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2014
Hello folks,

something that always bothered me since the game was playable is the fact the NVA tunnels get auto destroyed just because a nearby objective has been captured by the US forces. This does not make sense as an US squad leader does not automatically die just because the objective was captured by NVA. It is understandable to remove the tunnel if it actually was inside the enemy spawn protection zone but most of the time they are not. As you can simply return there and dig it again. So why destroy it at all. If the Americans do not find it, why help them by auto destroying it?

I agree they could stay until destroyed by us or maybe when the sl dies. Also I don't understand the 30 sec cool down. You can dig a tunnel, run 10m dig another one but when it's destroyed you have to wait 30 sec even after you respawn.
Also, when being promoted it would be nice to get the pick axe at least when going to the ammo dump instead of having to siicide and respawn. It happens to me so often at the beginning of a round it's annoying

Upvote 0
Kaleun;n2301950 said:
Is Raven1986 a bot? All I see is complaint threads from this account, OP almost never replies to the threads he created either.

Well, you may say I'm the nitpicker of the forums. I've been with the series for nearly 13 years now. This is a very long time in IT dimensions. I have experienced and endured too much hideous bugs, mischivious coding and all other of nasty pestilences developers through you under as a gamer. I was also very merciful by keeping my mouth shut after the developers said, they will change things and gave them time to do so. And despite continous failure I am still here. That's what you do when you care about something. You argue, you yell but in the end you stay loyal. If you believe it best to just sit there and take everything thrown at you without commenting, how do you think the developers can possibly improve and know what is bad and needs tending to?

As for replying to threads I created. I'm not keen on answering a thread no one has answered to. Also sometimes it is simply my intent to gather information. When I ask how other members of the community feel about a certain gameplay feature existing or potential, I want their answers but I do not necessarily need to answer myself. I have already displayed me liking or disliking in the opening post.

Upvote 0
I think the NVA/VC tunnels are destroyed after each objective capture to ensure that the attackers can actually begin to move forwards, instead of having to deal with enemies positioned right in front of your frontlines, or sometimes even behind your frontlines (*cough CuChi Police Station cough*). This helps to maintain the pacing of the game, so that it always appears that the attackers are pushing towards the objective at a decent pace, not having to slow down in order to search for tunnels and/or flanking enemies. Sure you might argue it's more realistic to have defenders everywhere, not just on the objective, but given the type of meatgrinder objective-based gameplay that the territories gamemode is, not destroying tunnels would cause players to focus more on hunting enemies, rather than moving to the objective, thus completely changing the typical playstyle of the territories gamemode.

Furthermore, the destruction of the tunnels is also an important game balance feature, since you could technically place a tunnel right beside the next objective(s) while defending the current objective(s). If the tunnels are not destroyed, the defenders would spawn too close to the objective, making it much more difficult for the attackers to dislodge them, both due to the fact that it would take the defenders a much shorter time to reach the objective, and because the effectiveness of air support and arty support would also be significantly decreased, considering that you would have to call it directly on the objective you're trying to capture, in order to clear out the tunnels right next to the objective.

Upvote 0