• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 3: Afghanistan

KampucheanSVD

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2017
Chernobyl
I've actually suggested this on the Steam forums with a lot of immature negative backlash. Hopefully people here will be a lot more mature. If you want to be constructively critical by all means feel free.

My idea for a total overhaul DLC for RS2 is a DLC that takes place in Afghanistan during the 1980s between the Soviet Union and the Mujaheddin. Once again like in every game in the series so far it will be asymmetrical warfare with the Soviets having armor, and helicopters and the Taliban...I mean Mujaheddin having IEDs and ambush points and tunnels. Very similar to the game we already see, so it won't be too much of a difference. Plus many assets can be reused such as the Type 56 and RPG-7.

Bellow are just some brainstorms based off of pictures.
0_15982a_f33f4103_orig-768x526.jpg

Potential Soviet vehicle and possibility to customize your character in ushankas, helmets, Afghankas, and whatever the player pleases if they have unlocked it.
A%2BMujahideen%2Bfighter%2Baims%2Ban%2BFIM-92%2BStinger%2Bmissile%2Bat%2Bpassing%2Baircraft%252C%2BAfghanistan%252C%2B1988%2B2.jpg

A possible Mujaheddin commander ability could be Stinger missile drop, or it could act the same as in RS2.
092Afghanistan.jpg

Horses as "vehicles"?
8912636.jpg

Possible counter to Mujaheddin supply drops.
1285157328_30.jpg

1285157352_34.jpg

1285157352_35.jpg

Possible character customization options and variations.
gp-30_ak-74_1.jpg

Grenade launcher on AK74. Perhaps pressing the bayonet button will switch to grenade mode.
994692556.jpg

Large open maps for sniping perhaps?
1285157355_20.jpg

Dogs as a commander ability?
1285157329_4.jpg

View from Mi-24 gunner.
1285157317_8.jpg

Holly ****, he's sexy. Almost Chadlike.

Reactions: Kaleun
You're not the first one to think of this, so if you want it to be real then it has to be a mod, and if its going to be a mod it will probably never be released.

-TW-Wilsonam;n2273204 said:
Lot of work ===> Lot of cost ===> Higher price/Later release

Its either a DLC or free content update...
-TW-Wilsonam;n2273118 said:
One of our key tenets is always to avoid anything that splits the community - and making ARVN a for-pay add-on is likely to split the community, as people without all the relevant assets when an ARVN-based map comes up in rotation would most likely get kicked. Or we could gift them just the most basic role/equipment - but lots of people would likely jump off the server anyway...

NOTA BENE: this doesn't mean that we will never offer up for-pay DLC, if we can think of good examples!

Last edited:
Reactions: steve2142
Upvote 0
KampucheanSVD;n2299755 said:
I was thinking it would be like RS1 in terms of being a free DLC.

Well no, DLC as big as RS1 was should be definitely a paid DLC. Everything else could be free content update.
And speaking of Afghan as a full fledged game or a mod, you'll need a pretty big team of modders, who are willing to work for free to later sign up a contract just like RS1 team did, which aint gonna happen in the near 2-3 years.
About full fledged game, its too early to talk about it, TWI dont have plans or anything set in the stone yet, so I'd avoid all the dreams and speculations about their next game.
If you want something to be done as a mod, then I'd suggest you to become an expert in 3D/Character modelling, animating, technical stuff and etc, then people will see what can be done about it.

Upvote 0
Thread(s) like this, already exists amigo.
https://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...7155-afghan-79

Yeah. I think it'd be pretty cool. I would honestly prefer Desert Storm showcasing the limited infantry combat that was intense and fast paced.
It's also something that hasn't been done since Conflict : Desert Storm and that would be INSANE if RS2 modders could make a whole recreation of Kuwait deserts and Iraqi villages/deserts/canyons from 1990. An aspect of modern warfare that hasn't been touched in a loooong time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LiamFVJ;n2300836 said:
What? I've seen very few games tackle the Soviet Afghan war, that's like saying the European setting has been played over the years.

KampucheanSVD;n2299815 said:
This isn't the 2000's Afghan war, this is the 80's.

It'd honestly be the same thing we've seen over the past few years except both sides would be using Soviet era tech/weapons.

Upvote 0