• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Balancing, US Helmet Camo, and Layering of Accessories

Weapon Balancing, US Helmet Camo, and Layering of Accessories

• Total voters

ROFUP

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 15, 2017
With regards to weapon balance, why does the M-16 have more power than the AK family? As power also counts towards damage on vehicles, it would make more sense for the AK to have 6 power and the M-16 to have 5, especially because the AK fields the larger 7.62 in comparison to the 5.56. Also, I feel like the RPD's power should be raised from 5 to 6 for the same reason, unless the power rating was determined from the fact that 5.56 rounds are more prone to tumbling and do more internal damage due to said tumbling. Also, because of the AKM's lower rate of fire, it's fire rate should be at least a point lower than the other AKs rather than being the same.

With US helmet camos, it would be interesting to see an option to switch between lowland and highland camo for the unlockable helmets rather than them all being highland camo-only.

Lastly, I think accessory layering would be interesting and you could work it into the current system to have unlockable accessory slots, with the max being three (because who doesn't want aviators and a mustache?)

What do others think should be implemented?

ROFUP;n2299294 said:
With regards to weapon balance, why does the M-16 have more power than the AK family? As power also counts towards damage on vehicles, it would make more sense for the AK to have 6 power and the M-16 to have 5, especially because the AK fields the larger 7.62 in comparison to the 5.56. Also, I feel like the RPD's power should be raised from 5 to 6 for the same reason, unless the power rating was determined from the fact that 5.56 rounds are more prone to tumbling and do more internal damage due to said tumbling. Also, because of the AKM's lower rate of fire, it's fire rate should be at least a point lower than the other AKs rather than being the same.

With US helmet camos, it would be interesting to see an option to switch between lowland and highland camo for the unlockable helmets rather than them all being highland camo-only.

Lastly, I think accessory layering would be interesting and you could work it into the current system to have unlockable accessory slots, with the max being three (because who doesn't want aviators and a mustache?)

What do others think should be implemented?

before i start off id like to state i agree that the weapons need balancing in general.

Now that thats done with, id like to point out that you have the m-16 and the akm backwards in the "tumbling bullet" aspect. while most ball ammo does indeed "tumble" upon impact keep in mind that the united states military used frangible amunition against the NVA and VietCong since they are not a standing army in the eyes of the US and south vietnam. while ss109, 120g-125g fmj ball ammo, was still being used its balistics did not allow for a "tumbling" affect to occur on impact. in fact the AK47 and akm's, and their Chinese counterparts, 7.62x39 round was extremely deadly because of its "tumbling" effect and its extra powder with a heavier slug. all in all while our 223/5.56 round is capable, the heavy hitting power and fairly decent cyclic rate of the ak family is nothin to scoff at...until you start looknig at harmonics then its realized that the whole platform is flawed and trash at that point...

See you on the battlefield!

Upvote 0
Yeah the 5.56x45 Nato is actually a high velocity powerhouse, producing only 200 Jules less than the soviet 7.62x39. Like the gentleman above me said, its "tumbling effect" causes severe cavitation and massive increased static pressure, resulting massive trauma/tenderization... Most likely resulting in a 1 hit kill, or critically wounded casualty. The 7.62x39 actually has less cavitation because the projectile is significantly heavier than the 5.56, and essentially just tunnels(if you will) through flesh,bone,muscle with ease usually resulting in a less severe wound. So there is no need for balance as i see it, they did their research and its spot on.

I WOULD LOVE ACCESSORIES THOUGH! I'm not sure what kind of access regular Grunts had for modifying their weapons but, it would be awesome to make your firearm a bit more special with different aperture sights, scopes, and even a suppressor for a CAR-15 or the M16A1.

Upvote 0
For the "power" aspect on the weapon stats. It's an automated value based on a bunch of variables. All of the catagroeiss are. The game automatically gives each cataglry a score of 1-10 based on various things for each one.

What makes up "power". As it's purely not simply "damage". Because the AK47 does in fact deal more damage per round than the M16. Something that's even stated in the tips. More damage and more penetration.
So instead we must consider what the M16 has over the AK that could potentially make up the "power" rating. Two things spring to mind. Fire rate and muzzle velocity. The M16 has the fattest muzzle velocity in the game with one of the best ballistic coefficients and it does have a higher rate of fire which you could argue gives the gun more firepower. One or both of these things may be considered in its power rating. Personally I think it's considering the muzzle velocity.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2299400 said:
For the "power" aspect on the weapon stats. It's an automated value based on a bunch of variables. All of the catagroeiss are. The game automatically gives each cataglry a score of 1-10 based on various things for each one.

What makes up "power". As it's purely not simply "damage". Because the AK47 does in fact deal more damage per round than the M16. Something that's even stated in the tips. More damage and more penetration.
So instead we must consider what the M16 has over the AK that could potentially make up the "power" rating. Two things spring to mind. Fire rate and muzzle velocity. The M16 has the fattest muzzle velocity in the game with one of the best ballistic coefficients and it does have a higher rate of fire which you could argue gives the gun more firepower. One or both of these things may be considered in its power rating. Personally I think it's considering the muzzle velocity.

i dont think its the fire rate, as i default to semi myself, i usually easily win 1v1 skirmishes if the opponent has full auto on. my guess would be the muzzle velocity and the accuracy but that being said i really dont think that the devs read their own patch notes since back in beta, and still in some cases enough to be a common problem, the mosin wasnt nearly a ohk and still isnt. i really do think that the m16 has a higher damage spec then the ak ingame then what the stats actually read. this has been the case for several guns back in both rs1 and ro2 the stats themselves are nothing more then text values that do not accurately depict the weps actual effectiveness. accuracy for the ak def needs to be brought up. shame this isnt on reddit where the devs apparently take suggestions...

Upvote 0