• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enchanted gore system

Ranozki

May 12, 2017
Finland
Hi!
I think that RS2 is a pretty immersive war game. And it has a nice gore system. But I have a few suggestions that may make it even better. But I understand that these things aren't probably high priority things for the devs. Also some parts may have been already integrated to the game, I just haven't noticed them yet.

But anyways, my suggestions:
1. Bring back RO2 slow dying. I am talking about the one where you get hit and your screen starts fading to black but you still can interact a bit. I think it was great in RO2, the animation of slowly dying was pretty neat and great presentation of the horrors of war. After all, deaths from bullet wounds are seldom instant.
2. That brings me to the next point: Ragdoll animations. The game has already long dying screams, so with those it would be great that the bodies still move in the ground for a short period of time. So far the greatest system of this animation IMO is in a game called Overgrowth. Watch a youtube video of the bleedout death in that game. Ragdolls twist in the ground when dying, and as the bleeding progresses, the movements lessens until the body is fully dead.
3. Detailed hit reactions. Another game I want to point out is Crisis response. It's 2D game, but it has an amazing physics system. What I want to point out from that game is amazing hit reaction based on the hitpoint. For example brain hit can cause convulsions, heart hit can drop person instantly like a sack of potatoes and so on. Also it would be great if the person shot would try to cover the hitpoint with hand sometimes.
4. Better decals and dismemberment. Also I would like to see more body dismemberment. Explosions could tear parts of the body open, high caliber headshots should partially explode the head. Shots that go through should also have an exit wound that usually is bigger than the entry point. Exit wound could be a 3d decal because of the bullet ripping the flesh and bone outwards when exiting.
5.Bleeding from the wounds. It doesn't need to be very detailed, but some kind of dripping particles or small gushing for a moment would be cool.

Those are my ideas for the game. Please discuss what you think about these and feel free to suggest your own ideas. I myself am a big fan of ragdoll physics in games. And I also believe that gore should be a part of realistic war games, because gore is part of the horrors of war. Pulling the trigger has consequences.

P.S. If you love gore in games, I suggest to check Gore reviews from RandomMadness in Youtube. He has excellent points about gore effects in games and all of these ideas are probably copies of his thoughts.

P.S.S. Thanks devs for this game already. I have played RO games since the mod and I think that RS2 Vietnam is already the best one hands down! Keep up the great work!:)

Reactions: -Moody-
I am really happy slow dying is out of the game. It was annoying and it felt "ironic". It felt like you were getting punished (while it was actually a random reward). As far as I recall it worked like this. There was a chance that you trigger slow death if you take a hit that would normally kill you (unless headshots) and then you would go into slow death. This is technically a random reward (you get a few extra seconds, while you would normally be dead), but it just felt like a punishment and I dont think most people liked it at all.

Beside that right now it feels that the game is way less graphic as previous titles. I would like RS2 to be on a similar level like RS1 and other titles of the series.

Reactions: Patu.Kuovi
Upvote 0
Yeah, the same dying lines get annoying quickly, needs more variety. Right now the american one that shouts "guys come get me" makes me want to shoot the guy :D I noticed during the beta that the blood decals on bodies, and blood pools are pretty nice, sometimes the aftermath of a fight looks pretty gruesome. But I wish there were bigger wounds for gunshots at least than just bloody entry points.

Upvote 0