• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What Potential QoL changes interest you most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Hey all, I'm working to gather some feedback for the team as they work towards finishing up the upcoming Update 1.3 and turn towards the future. You can help me by listing out your top 3 QoL (Quality of Life = fixes or system changes designed to makes players time with the game more enjoyable) improvements. If there is a specific bug, please make sure we have a bug report in the bug report section with as much detail (and a replication case if at all possible). Thanks all!

1. Have your squad spawn on the SL position when the match starts - I hate running to A just to see that all of my boys are over at B.
    2. If possible, less abrupt vaulting animations would be cool. (Currently it feels like my character comes to an abrupt halt before switching over to the "vault" animation, a more fluid transition would be great)
    3. Timer when next heli spawns on the heli pad.

Personal thing, I want the old bnk files for DP28 and M60 back. :D Pretty please? :3

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    1. Allow >5 maps per region. This would be very helpful for servers to be according to real map locations. E.g for Quang Nam we have
      4 official:VNTE-ASau, VNTE-HueCity, VNTE-Hill937, VNTE-ApacheSnow,
      4 customs:VNTE-Ripcord, VNTE-NapalmStar, VNTE-Neon_Redux, VNTE-DaNang_V8, VNTE-AnCuuBridge.
    2. Give us one region for each Laos and Cambodian for the appropriate maps to be placed there. Then for example if the south takes the Laos region by winning operation Lolo it would stop the North from being able to use the HCM-Trail and they can no longer attack southern provinces. Only if they already possess a one bordering to it.
      This would give more diversity to the campaign mode and also force people to make more strategic decisions. Additionally it would give more historical accuracy since during the war, the border region of Laos andCambodian played an important role.
    3. Give us one North region (could be placed above the DMZ/QuangTri region) where the map HoaLu could be placed.
    Personally I would love to see ROK and CDIG as new factions in the future :)

Upvote 0
    1. Napalm call-in should be one directional arrow (------>) instead of (<------>)

2. As Commander, you should be able to kick your radiomen without needing a team vote-kick

3. Syncing reload animations with their actual reload times. Guns are reloaded when the text overlay pops up, not when the animation completes. Many guns have animations that are slower or substantially slower than the actual time it takes to reload the gun itself. Please don't fix this by making their "actual" reload slower, but instead by making animations complete faster. (Secondary gripe: M16, Mat-49, M3 Grease Gun, and MP-40 animations are too similar).

Miscellaneous QoL that aren't in my top three:

4. Toggling HUD (default T) should remove everything. I don't want to see my teammate's spammed spot markers, but they stay even after I toggle HUD off.

5. Faster confirmation on commander call-ins, call-ins should be confirmed after my commander is finished speaking, not when the radio is finished replying.

6. Ability to cancel artillery or fire support that I'm currently calling in. Current workaround to cancelling fire support is to commit suicide, which is quite annoying.

7. Pls stop vapourizing radios after a cap. Inconsistent on maps, some disappear and some don't :(

8. Vaulting - this is probably a lot more work than a simple QoL, but it's easily the jankiest thing about RS2 atm.

Very annoying bugs:

1. Butterfinger nades (throwing one, then trying to throw the second results in it dropping by your feet)

2. Rarely as Commander, dying while calling in support via a radiomen can randomly lock your abilities for the rest of the match.

Reactions: TheUndying
    Upvote 0
    Ability to switch weapons while sprinting. Currently you have to release the sprint button to change weapons or to even show the equipment while scrolling with mouse. Would be more convenient to use grenades.

Nunk;n2329986 said:
    4. Toggling HUD (default T) should remove everything. I don't want to see my teammate's spammed spot markers, but they stay even after I toggle HUD off.
    I disagree on that, since I use it the way it worked in RO2/RS. At least not forced to everyone.

Upvote 0
    Nunk;n2329986 said:
    3. Syncing reload animations with their actual reload times. Guns are reloaded when the text overlay pops up, not when the animation completes. Many guns have animations that are slower or substantially slower than the actual time it takes to reload the gun itself. Please don't fix this by making their "actual" reload slower, but instead by making animations complete faster. (Secondary gripe: M16, Mat-49, M3 Grease Gun, and MP-40 animations are too similar).

The timing should be set to when the magazine enters the weapon and is ready to fire for when a gun is reloaded in code. The extra animation is there to make it look more fluid. If you find any of those timings are off, let me know and I"ll have the team look into them.

Upvote 0
    1. Stop Auto switching weapons when entering and exiting enemy tunnel.
    2. Let us choose the direction/angle of napalm.
    3. Do something about attacking Saigon and Pleiku on turn 1 of campaign. Maybe Prevent attacking the home area before mid war or something like that or you have to control area next to the home area.

Upvote 0
    My top three would be..
    1) Fix campaign balance

2) It is too limiting to actually deploy your machine gun in terms of your height and ability to correct your location horizontally. Many of the areas either have you not see over the trenches or sandbags, as in you bend in and down too much. Horizontal movement locks you in awkward routes, which in general makes life miserable when trying to tweak your current position. Then there's the issue with aiming MG's in narrow spaces - you lock on to the stupidest things if you have forgotten your bipod on. Machine guns are great otherwise, but it's frustrating to go around these silly issues.

3) Reloading cancels awkwardly when you start reloading in full stop, then move. Even if you have already entered a new magazine, when reloading cancels upon movement, you have to enter a new magazine again instead of just finishing the reload animation from where you left off (say, the bolting movement for instance).

Upvote 0
    1. A few audio related improvements.

1a) Relatively minor but I want the deafness when you die to go away. I think it was added as a band-aid fix for people shooting your corpse in the head over and over to spam the headshot sound. Patch 1.09 has "Fixed an issue where the audio for shooting a helmet would play incorrectly when shooting a dead player in the head" implying it's been fixed (At least for the shooter. No idea about the guy being shot, I've shot a few corpses in the head and the helmet ding is gone at least from my POV) and thus the muting is no longer needed. In the "old days" you could hear EVERYONE around you screaming after napalm hits as you go up in flames, now when I get shot I can't even hear my own character dying, as before my ragdoll has even hit the floor all audio is muted pretty much instantly. (Like you hear for about a fraction of a second and bam no audio until you hit the respawn screen.)

1b) Hitsounds for helicopters. Patch 1.08 claims they were added but they are either too subtle or not working. If I can clearly hear bullet hitting flesh or helmet from 200 meters away, I should be able to hear bullet hitting metal 200 meters away. The hitsounds are nice feedback so I know my bullets are actually hitting, and if I'm on a DShK they would be a major help so I know I'm tracking/leading correctly.

1c) Radio effects for VOIP. Patch 1.06 claims they were added but they're either too subtle or not working. Would increase immersion greatly if people sounded like they were talking over a radio, helicopter pilot would have a different effect (maybe subtle beeping in the background if seriously damaged, etc.)

2. Character customization improvements.

2a) Dirt slider so you can choose if you want a dirty or clean uniform.

2b) Ability to select backpacks for US. I know some people didn't like it, but having it as an option similar to north's back-foliage would be nice. I miss the backpack full of ammo belts for machine gunner.

3. Helicopter damage model improvements.
    Currently helicopters feel too sturdy vs anything not an RPG. Unless you hit the engine or pilots you're doing almost zero damage. The only thing that can destroy the tail rotor is the RPG or a collision. (Those requirements for the entire tail boom are fine.) Code wise (alongside testing with a friend on an empty server) it seems the main rotor and tail rotor need a "Critical weakspot" to be hit to destroy them entirely. Main rotor has a jesus nut hitbox, which obliterates it with one DShK shot or 6 mosin bullets from testing, while the tail rotor lacks one, making it indestructible even if one dumps 10 DShK belts directly into it. (However, both the main and tail rotor still "accumulate" damage so even if not destroyed, you can reduce enough lift/anti-torque to the point the helicopter starts to spin or can't stay airborne.) There seems to be code support (and I've seen footage of it happening only twice, once from an RPG, once from a collision with ground) where individual blades on the main and tail rotor could break, but I've never witnessed it personally ingame. Having this type of damage possible from enough gunfire would be a good way to "buff" the north vs helicopters. Especially from the DShK, as it fires anti-material rounds IIRC and it realistically should do significantly more damage than it currently does when firing at a rotor's blade grips, mast, control rods, etc.

Upvote 0
    Yoshiro;n2329992 said:
    The timing should be set to when the magazine enters the weapon and is ready to fire for when a gun is reloaded in code. The extra animation is there to make it look more fluid. If you find any of those timings are off, let me know and I"ll have the team look into them.

Actually, yeah that does make sense now that I think about it. Keep it the way it is, but it would be cool if reloads had stages that it would return to if canceled (magazine out, new magazine in, pressing bolt catch). That's probably a lot of work though. Or just having more unique animations for the MP40/M16/Grease/Mat-49 since they look so similar.

Forget what I said about reload cancelling. Sorry about that.

Upvote 0
    I am both a server admin and community admin. I believe that a community and server admin can look at a wider perspective in the game than normal gamers. And after collecting opinion from our community, here is the important features I would like Rising Storm 2 to improve:

Before I start, here is the 2 crucial thing I must mention:
    a) Adding M16 to Early War US will surely make campaign more stacked up to the South. Please remove M16 for USA Army unless you add AK to NLF in early war
    b) I see you would like to achieve balance in campaign. I have done several tweaks in my servers since campaign roll out to try to achieve the same thing. I would say I am always willing to offer you help in testing out balance in the game.

1. Campaign balance (endless complaints from players): Campaign is very unbalance and give huge advantage to the South, causing the problem of stacking up in the South. Early War NLF is too weak and easily beaten up by the South, which is slightly/ not nerf in early war. To make things worse, the North can only defend as NLF throughout the campaign. I observed numerous campaign matches and NLF lose terribly in the Early war. Besides, Search and Destroy is overpowered in campaign. Players also complain removing combat helicopter for late war.

Suggestions: I have seen you try to add MAS49 in for NLF in1.3, but that is not enough. AND in 1.3 US ARMY HAVE M16 will mean disaster for NLF. My suggestion is to alow PAVN to defend all territories, especially in early war and their base in Pleiku/ Buff NLF in early war. Nerf Search and Destroy so it will not turn the enemy territory to neutral, and only effective in neutral objective. Add combat pilot in late war (ARVN can only use gunship).

2. Bug fixes: There are many bugs in the game which should be address as soon as possible, since it is affecting the game play. This include 255 bug in campaign, 2 squad bug in campaign, deployable Dshk in front of objectives in campaign maps bug, gun bugs, players suddenly move very slow bug, can't call support bug, pilot role kick bug,etc. I hope you would look through the bug report and fix the crucial bugs. Players still have difficulties in launching the game and bugsplat til now.
    Also players report unable to kick spectators in the server

3. Campaign loadouts adjustment
    NLF/ PAVN Pointman is very weak since they only have shotgun and MAT49. This discourage people to choose that fraction, which ultimately discourage them to throw smoke. My suggestion is adding K-50M, a largely used PAVN weapon for PAVN and NLF.

4. Hit damage
    A lot of players complain "why I hit that guy a lot of times and he doesn't die", "hitreg problem","headshot but still survive!". It turns out the the hitreg is not the reason but the hit damage. Often I find myself suffer from multiple leg/arm shots without even bandaging. It maybe true that few shot on the arm/leg can't instantly kill a person, but what we should be referring is how many shot to incapacitate the enemy, not how many shot to kill an enemy. I am quite sure 2-3 rifle round on your arm/leg you can't even run and hold a gun to kill your enemy accurately. Also, I find out more often player survive from head-shots after 1.10 update is out, even without a helmet.
    Suggestion: Fix the damage model by increasing the bullet damage depending on bullet size on hand and leg. Unless you are using a pellet gun, 2-3 shots should be enough to incapacitate an enemy. Force player to bandage if they got an arm/leg shot. Head-shots should always be one shot kill.

5. Customization
    - Improved Inventory Keybinds
    providing opinion to toggle on/off old keyset for playing since beginning of the game
    - Disable Weapon Pickup Highlights
    - providing opinion to toggle on/off Persistent Weapon Preferences / configuration they were in when players previously equipped them. Items like semi-automatic fire, sight ranging, bipod deployment

I really hope you can fix the bugs and improve the current game first before making new content for the game. I hope you would consider the advises from the majority in the game community, not just from the individuals.
    One of the dedicated player in the Rising Storm 2 Community
    TMC
    Southeast Asia Community Administrator

Reactions: TheUndying
    Upvote 0
    Nunk;n2330004 said:
    Actually, yeah that does make sense now that I think about it. Keep it the way it is, but it would be cool if reloads had stages that it would return to if canceled (magazine out, new magazine in, pressing bolt catch). That's probably a lot of work though. Or just having more unique animations for the MP40/M16/Grease/Mat-49 since they look so similar.

Forget what I said about reload cancelling. Sorry about that.

This would require a whole new animation system and every weapon animation to be redone. It is something we have in mind for future Tripwire titles, but highly unlikely for current ones.

Upvote 0
    So here is some feedback I managed to collect with the Russian community. Some of this is larger than QoL, but maybe you will consider this in future full-scale updates. Suggestions are listed in random order, not in terms of importance.
    1. Change wounds system, so wounds would affect your characteristics permanently. E.g. you have bandaged arms – reduce steady aim time slightly or if wounded in legs, after bandaging, slightly reduce running speed. It would make current system less arcade as current bandaging looks like BF, when you restore HP with medkit.
    2. Currently if you are defender and placing the tunnel and during this point is capped, your tunnel will be placed and will be destroyed immediately and you get cooldown. Don't apply tunnel placing cooldown if it was placed and automatically destroyed within couple of minutes after point fall.
    3. Add ability to paint weapons with camouflage paint or use canvas cover for snipers
    4. Ability to blind fire from covers like in RO2
    5. Let sapper and engineers build sandbags.
    6. Add more variety of the map objectives – not just capzones, but some objects for demolition, so you would enforce engineer role. See Rakowice from Ostfront as an example – you could destroy AA guns and ammo bunker there.
    7. Ability for North to choose type of traps during the match.
    8. Ability to trade secondary weapon or part of bullets for 1 extra grenade and vise versa.
    9. Hand helmet customization with preset elements (probably mix of the existing helmet art).
    10. Improve player interaction with terrain bumps when ctawling. Currently even the small bump or stone could stop you from crawling, so you should make that your character crawls over it smoothly.
    11. Ability to turn head while still running Arma style.
    12. Create party/lobby with friends in the main menu so you can join the same serve simultaneously and be put to the same team.
    13. Make that all squad members spawn on the same spot during the map start. Currently they are randomly placed over the whole map.
    14. Customize HUD elements displayed in tactical and non-tactical view. Ability to change color or size or position of the certain elements. Many requested the ability to move gun fire selector to the more remarkable place and make it more bright.
    15. Weapon selection menu should display gun characteristics with attached bayonet and folded/unfolded stock.
    16. Make more variants of leaf camo for North. Leaf camo should affect the ability of being spotted by recon plane – e.g. don't display the exact position or display it for a much shorter period of time (on jungle maps).
    17. Ability to watercool MGs in the rivers if overheat.
    18. Restrict ADS fire for belt fed MGs – allow only brace/hipfire like in RO. Only box/drum fed MGs should be allowed to ADS.
    19. Special icon for DSHK if spotted by Loach/Recon plane.
    20. Add DSHK spawn on the last point on Resort.
    21. Claymore tripwire for South on all defensive maps.
    22. Display tattoos on character's hands in first person.
    23. Ability to place claymore on windowsill/top of sandbag without exposing yourself and looking directly at placing point.
    24. Make backpacks customization option and add ability to remove them. To make this balanced you could go further and give more ammo for the guys who have backpacks.
    25. Add more pop up windows with hints in campaign modes explaining what exact weapon/vehicle models are available in early/mid/late war or what is changing during the course of the campaign.
    26. Ability to customize level of dirt on your character.
    27. Add ability to change background in customization menu (choose jungle/grass, urban area, ricefield etc) so you could better understand what type of camouflage better suits map you play.
    28. Add more information to the map voting menu – add map card with map details, explaining what type of map it is, weather conditions, time of say, availability of vehicles etc). So you wont be voting blindly for the maps you don't know.
    29. Add Huey gunships for early war in campaign - 2 variants with minguns and with unguided missles.
    30. Helicopter nose art customization

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.