• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Critical feedback on planned changes.

Lemonater47

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2014
In this thread I will only be going over things I personally don't like about the changes and think that they are a bad idea. So if I don't mention something it means I think it's fine.

Role loadout changes.

NLF Guerrilla getting the MAS-49. Unless the MAS is bad such as having absolutely terrible recoil it will end up replacing the carbine and SKS. Nobody will have any reason to use those. People will still use the mosin for the novelty factor alone. It's a bolt action. But the MAS-49 completely outclasses the SKS and the only advantage the Carbine has is that it's neat in CQB. But that won't be enough of a draw. I don't think this should be a weapon on the most common class. Potentially removing it from the NVA entirely and giving it to the NLF scout is the best course of action.

Australian rifleman getting the M16 mid war. Why?? Shouldn't get it at all. The M16 is fine as it is sprinkled through the Australian loadouts. Giving them the M16 will just make them no different than the Americans. Because you'd just end up with M16s and M60s with a couple of fancy SMGs smattered throughout. You also mentioned that the L1A1 was going to be buffed. That's all it needs. Recoil is too high and has a rather odd recoil animation. They do not need M16s at all.

Mosin scope change.
Entirely unnecessary. To me this is a change to cater to people who do not know how to snipe. Or more correctly specific kind of player I like to call a "tunnel vision sniper". Somebody who stays scoped in at all times and only looks for targets through the centre of his scope. Not even using the entire scope. Let alone using his entire view to look for targets. This change isn't going to help anyone. They're still going to be terrible snipers. They looked for something to blame and blamed the reticle position. And you listened to that. There was a BreakTheVices video just today where he used the mosin sniper for the middle of his video. He had no issues whatsoever. Because he has the right mentality over snipers. I don't like this catering to the lowest common denominator thing going on. I feel that the M16 for Australian rifleman also fits into that.

Votekick abuse changes.
Disallowing spectators the ability to communicate is not a great fix at all. Admins like using spectator mode and most player spectator communication is fine. Help for the GOM trailer filming we relied on the fact spectators could talk.
The issue is spectators are immune to votekicks. So why not fix that? Either allow us to kick spectators or make it so spectators cannot initiate votekicks. Spectators can still be muted but launch as many votekicks as they like with your changes. They can have a friend to speak for them. Hell they don't even need that people entirely unrelated to them may start talking and backing these votekicks. Especially if they target vunerable people. someone who just had an accident or something.

Side note. Chivalry medieval warfare has a neat little console command. A command that shows the IP address of a user, the steam ID of the user and most importantly the steam ID of the parent account. A lot of people use family shared accounts to cause mischief. Can't do that in chivalry when admins can get your main account ID with a 5 letter console command. Ban that too. Now you may think that will harm people using the family share system legitimately. Thing is nobody who uses the system legitimately breaks the rules lol. Haven't had anyone complain about being banned because that was their brother or sisters family shared account. Not even as a false excuse.

Radioman
Well this just made radioman the easiest ****. Radioman dies now just means the commander doesn't have a radio for 15 seconds. Only that's not true because there's 2 radiomen. One Radioman dies and he'll just use the other radio that spawned on him.
This now just gives the commander 24/7 access to a radio combined with the full situational awareness of not being way in the back on a static. Not a great change for the game at all.

Cobra 40mm GL
This was not the most OP part of the cobra at all. The most OP part of the cobra is called the pilot seat. The reason you gave for the nerf is also, if I'm being honest completely hysterical. "This number of grenades allowed the gunner to shoot wildly wiping out entire squads and tunnels". Ok. Go into a game and just start shooting wildly with that thing. I predict 0 kills, 0 tunnels and +2 points for 1 kill assist if you're lucky. You have to be precise with that thing and it's VERY hard to aim
with with the chopper moving around all the time combined with the very slow muzzle velocity. You can aim at a spot, fire and have it land 50m away from where you aimed. Due to the momentum imparted on it from the helicopter moving. Reducing its grenades to 30 from 50 is a silly idea which will only make playing gunner less appealing. And it's already less appealing than cobra pilot.

You want to nerf the cobra then you got to take a look at it's 20mm cannon. That is easy to get kills with. That is the most powerful part of the chopper. 900 rounds of uninterrupted 20mm HE. Maybe some sort of overheat feature is in order for it.

The objective change.
Oh boy. Now I see what you're trying to do. Trying to stop the attackers just stacking a room in the corner of the cap while napalm does the rest. But two players blocking the entire cap? That's going to be some "fun" hide and seek right there. And by the time you've found one of the last two the cap has already been reinforced. It'll happen again and again and again. And by that stage the attackers would have exhausted a lot of tickets being extremely aggressive just trying to find these people. Not to mention the extra time it'll take. I won't say much as a lot of people have "expressed concern" over this. But if this feature were to stay then it would need a lot more than 2 players to block a capture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sally
Lemonater47;n2328662 said:
In this thread I will only be going over things I personally don't like about the changes and think that they are a bad idea. So if I don't mention something it means I think it's fine...

Role Loadout Changes

Strongly disagree about the MAS-49. The NLF / PAVN is suffering very badly due to the lack of long-ranged firepower on some maps, and another rifle with full-power ammunition is desperately needed to counter the South's overwhelming advantage in accurate long-range weapons.

I seriously doubt that the MAS-49 will end up supplanting the SKS entirely, not in the least because I've seen US players dump M14s for enemy SKS'. Some players will inevitably prefer the lower recoil of the SKS to the range of the MAS-49. As for the M1 carbine – the current incarnation is pathetically anemic, and I suspect many players will join me in a collective sigh of relief that we are no longer forced to use this pathetic excuse for a firearm.

Mosin Scope Change

What the MN sniper needs is the "look over scope" option from the XM-21 / M40. Northern snipers have terrible peripheral vision right now.

"Realistic" features wouldn't be so bad if they were better documented, and better communicated to the player base. If I don't know why the game is behaving in a particular way, it's frustrating.

Votekick Abuse Changes

Agreed, insofar as the changes do not go far enough. Trolling has become the bane of RS2, and decisive measures need to be taken.

In particular, repeat teamkillers need to be auto-banned from servers.

Radioman

The spawn-on-commander is less than ideal as a solution, but better than nothing. Having commanders do force spawns near the front line is essential for progressing on some maps, so hopefully this will encourage commanders to stay closer to the frontline, rather than simply stick behind on the static radio.

Cobra 40mm GL

I agree that the GL is not, in most hands, particularly dangerous, though there are occasionally players who can wield it to good effect. I often find, however that the rockets, rather than the machine gun, are generally the most lethal element of the Cobra.

I think that the Cobra is best handled by buffs to anti-air capabilities, rather than nerfs to the Cobra, seeing as several maps are heavily dependent on having good support from helicopter pilots (e.g. Resort). More heavy machine guns / AA guns, and tracer ammunition to help aim them, might help tackle this problem.

Objective Change

Agreed. This will make things a nightmare on some maps (e.g. Cu Chi), where, depending on the quality of your teammates, it can already be very difficult to take certain points even at the best of times.

Upvote 0
With the loadout changes there'll be at least 20 MAS-49s on the battlefield. The higher recoil over the SKS is not going to outweigh the extra damage the MAS-49 is going to deal. I know many people are frustrated with the NLF early war. But giving it to guerrilla is over doing it. Giving it to other classes already makes the faction better. Why over do it?

It should be moved to the scout class for the NLF. I know TWI like spreading weapons around but this is going to be far too common. Bad for both historical and gameplay reasons. Every role in the game should have weapons that all have a decent chance of being picked.

In terms of sniping if you want greater greater peripheral vision it's called not aiming down the sights. Stop aiming and simply look. Shift zoom even works when you aren't aiming so you can still get a similar FOV as when aimed. The look over the scope thing that American snipers have was done for close range combat as well. I've been sniping like that since RO2 so I do actually find it a little strange that most others don't. Since I found trying to scan for targets much more difficult looking through the scope. So I just didn't look through the scope. If I see movement then I'll look down the scope in that general direction to confirm.

Upvote 0
My take on nerfing the Cobra is to nerf the 3d spotting. Let the pilots work harder for their targets, rather than dumping ammo at red boxes. Most fair approach imo.

On my own server [G] Classic Hardcore Immersion, I have set spotting to map only, so the nerf is already implemented, and I'm liking the result. Devs are welcome to inspect/evaluate this. I can provide demorec if needed.

Upvote 0
with the 1.3 update the M1 Garand has been removed from ARVN late war does anyone know why this was demeed necessary?some of us prefer using the M1 garand over weapons like the M16 due to its accuracy and bullet penetration that many of the souther weapons for grunts lack and with its removal it will be vary rarely seen since ARVN is rarely picked and often only used late war becauses its the only option. RIP garand we will miss you

Upvote 0