• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stop removing weapons in late-year campaign matches

VTD75

Sep 23, 2017
Anyone else frustrated by how major parts of the game's arsenal 'disappear' as the campaign continues?

Perfectly good weapons, such as the M14 and SKS, become unavailable in late-year campaign matches, presumably for purposes of 'historical accuracy' (this, in the game where you can fire the M1919A6 from the hip, Charles Bronson-style).

In many matches, this impoverishes the arsenal options available to players. Say, for example, you player as basic infantry in a late-year map as the PAVN. What are your options? The AK-47. Only the AK-47. Want something a little more precise? Too bad; you're out of luck.

Apart from producing extremely boring gameplay, where players are shoehorned into using the same weapon over and over again, this also has extremely serious implications for gameplay balance. In the aforementioned example, for instance, limiting players to the AK puts the North team at a substantial disadvantage over open terrain, where their opponents' more accurate M16s and Garands will shred them. In ordinary play, players could swap to the SKS to if they wanted to compensate, but many campaign maps, this option has been inexplicably removed.

So here's a rule I'd like to propose: Weapons should be only be introduced over the course of the campaign, and never removed.

So yes, you still won't get the M16 right off the bat, but when you do, the M14 doesn't immediately disappear. Maybe 'historical accuracy' will take a hit, but it's a price that I'm more than willing to pay in order to re-inject some semblance of balance into the game.

My main frustration (and why I avoid campaign) has been that the arsenals haven't been realistic for the southern factions. I've noticed a lot of players complaining that it's a bit unbalanced because the VC/NVA have access to a lot more automatic weapons from the get go.

The ARVN should have WW2 weapons until 1969. After that you see a lot of WW2 weapons phased out, but not entirely. Them still having access to them after that date makes sense to me.
The US Army should have the M16 starting in 1965. The M14 should never be an option for the US Army after 1964, and finding a reference for a US Army grunt with an M14 post 1965 is pretty hard.
The USMC should have the M14 until 1967, then the M16 should be added to their arsenal along with the M14. It wasn't common but you can find pictures of Marines post 1967/M16 transition with an M14.

The VC should be stuck with a majority of WW2/French weapons in the early parts of the war, as well as the SKS. They should also get access to the MG34 and the PPSH41, they seemed to be relatively common during the war. I think them getting the Type-56 in 1967/1968 would be good when you consider the historical build up for the Tet Offensive.

I don't think the NVA should ever lose the SKS in their arsenal, it doesn't really make sense. I think it'd be nice if they added the AK50 and I definitely think they shouldn't get the SVD until 1969 though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
JokersWarPig;n2326052 said:
The ARVN should have WW2 weapons until 1969. After that you see a lot of WW2 weapons phased out, but not entirely. Them still having access to them after that date makes sense to me.
The US Army should have the M16 starting in 1965. The M14 should never be an option for the US Army after 1964, and finding a reference for a US Army grunt with an M14 post 1965 is pretty hard.
The USMC should have the M14 until 1967, then the M16 should be added to their arsenal along with the M14. It wasn't common but you can find pictures of Marines post 1967/M16 transition with an M14.

Historically speaking, that makes sense. However, the game was originally balanced around having weapons like the M1 Garand, M14 and Mosin-Nagant available on every map; suddenly lifting them out of the game at arbitrary points leads to serious gameplay imbalances.

Furthermore, it just makes the game less interesting, because it needlessly restricts available strategies and gameplay approaches. Weapons should simply not be removed as options during the campaign, period.

Upvote 0
JokersWarPig;n2326052 said:

You are looking in the wrong places. Army it varied unit to unit. More elite units like 101st Airborne Division or 1st Cavalry Division had the XM16E1 from before they deployed in 1965. Less elite units such as the 25th Infantry Division used the M14 for a year or two before receiving the XM16E1. M14 continued to be used in limited numbers, especially in support units for many years afterwards.

Upvote 0