• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Performance Issues (Stuttering)

Freezy

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2010
Disclaimer: I know RS2 mostly uses 2 cores

I'm on a fresh install of Windows 10 1803 64bit, latest patches applied.

On a lot of the official maps, this game seems to be heavily CPU bound which results in severe stuttering as soon as I move the camera with my mouse or through moving my character with the keyboard. You can see this in screenshot 1 in the frametime graph in the top left corner:

Screenshot 1

If I stop moving the frametime stabilises, see screenshot 2, frametime graph top left corner (I stopped moving a few seconds before taking the screenshot):

Screenshot 2

This also happens when spectating other players on the server, which is why I would rule out a problem with my mouse or keyboard:

Screenshot 3

I tried all of the fixes posted online, disabled HPET in BIOS, disabled texture streaming, cleared Standby Memory (known Win 10 bug), added RS2 to exceptions in my AV, diasbled my AV, etc.

My Settings

Lowering them further doesn't do much. My GPU is already twiddling it's thumbs.

Playing like this sucks out a lot of the fun I would have with RS2, as reacting in a firefight becomes really hard.

The store page recommends an i5 with 3.2 GHz, my CPU clearly surpasses that.

Please Tripwire/Antimatter, another CPU optimisation patch would be greatly appreciated.

Bonus: Rendering the settings menu lowers the framerate by ~15%, or over 10 fps in my case. How does rendering a bunch of text take this much power?

Bonus 1
Bonus 2

My hardware:
Intel Core i5 3570k 4.4 GHz
16 GB DDR3 1800 MHz CL9 RAM
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H latest BIOS
Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8 GB with Catalyst 18.05.1 WHQL
Logitech G400 mouse
generic PS/2 keyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD

link to Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/Dg0RQrG