• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why no one life game mode?

LionbI4;n2313142 said:
In pubg you have ability to revive your friend. So your friend can get a second life. Reviving is not something what developers wants to see in RO games. Unfortunately. Countdown in RO2 was not popular.

Countdown was quite popular in the initial release phase of RO2, before the "second coming" after fixing up the game. In the competitive side it was popular up to recent years, before tripwire took over the competitive organization. The concept itself even without reviving isn't the reason for it not being popular, take a look at America's Army's success in 2002-2009.

Rainbow Six Siege is now currently among the top FPS games as well, there is a revive feature but it's rare that there will be a possibility for it - and even more rare that the revive will be carried out. You can count it as a "no revive" game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It really shouldn't be much of a hassle to implement this game mode into the game and I see no reason why they did not just do it for the sake of the players who would like to see it, even if that's only "a few".
I am sad I haven't found out about RO2 early enough to ever play a fully populated countdown game. I can imagine it would be a really thrilling experience and that it would be some unique gameplay.
Not even gonna lie, definitely jealous of people who were there in time for countdown games!

Reactions: Leopardi.
Upvote 0
foln;n2313329 said:
It really shouldn't be much of a hassle to implement this game mode into the game and I see no reason why they did not just do it for the sake of the players who would like to see it, even if that's only "a few".
I am sad I haven't found out about RO2 early enough to ever play a fully populated countdown game. I can imagine it would be a really thrilling experience and that it would be some unique gameplay.
Not even gonna lie, definitely jealous of people who were there in time for countdown games!

You're imagining right, the experience was thrilling and immersive to say the least, pretty much opposite from the nonstop meatgrinder 64 player modes. Something you could actually call a true tactical WW2 shooter, not just run&gun&respawn. Felt like home after America's Army 3 failed, too bad it's now gone..

I think it's a bad miscalculation on tripwires part to not try push a single-life game mode. Maybe use a different name than "Countdown", on a quick glance it gives the impression it's the same territory mode - just with a stressful timer on it. I remember those were my first thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Countdown was good **** yeah :)

Definitely the best experience in organized matches I had, was excellent for small scale battles (max 10 players on each side, was working good 6vs6 too).

Unfortunately it wasn't working well in public games because people would not play it correctly due to lack of communication, inexperience, lack of knowledge of all the rules, respawn point, and so on. It was a wonder with a team or a group of people who knew the game mode correctly. All my public games were bad because people would do 'stupid' things when you could have won for example if the last guy standing didn't rush the attackers and die, or if your team wasn't camping near spawn instead of getting to capture zone when it was possible..

I think they made Skirmish mode kind of the successor of Countdown..

edit: I think RS 2 is definitely not made for clan matches, it is clearly made for public big scale battles. I didn't really have hope for the 'competitive' scene of RO 2 migrating to RS 2, and I never though the game would be oriented toward competitive players. Don't get me wrong, there will be always people trying, and maybe succeeding in playing clan matches, but I don't think the game fits that purpose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leopardi.
Upvote 0
Tbh a game mode like this would be what's needed to keep me interested even in public games by now. The territory meat grinder just gets old - and most importantly - feels like you have no meaning in the battle, or that your kills don't matter at all. It's just wandering around and shooting, you'll and they'll respawn in 10 seconds anyway. Might as well go play Squad for some milsim immersion instead.

Upvote 0
omano;n2313836 said:
I think they made Skirmish mode kind of the successor of Countdown..

edit: I think RS 2 is definitely not made for clan matches, it is clearly made for public big scale battles. I didn't really have hope for the 'competitive' scene of RO 2 migrating to RS 2, and I never though the game would be oriented toward competitive players. Don't get me wrong, there will be always people trying, and maybe succeeding in playing clan matches, but I don't think the game fits that purpose.

Skirmish feels more like a quick afterthought, just throw players in a small arena and let them shoot each other. Theres no tacticality at all and the maps feels small and gameplay in them repetitive, the competitive side of this game is just horrible...

Last edited:
Upvote 0