• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Request: Pls remove ability to go bare chested for US

The_Pharoah

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2011
I've found players are starting to run around without helmets (on US side) or shirts thereby looking like VC - this allows them to get the jump on the PAVN soldiers who look twice before shooting. If they happen to get shot by their own side, they will then punish them as well. Its a cheat and needs to be removed. Why is it there in the first place? I mean, soldiers especially part of the US Army or USMC would NEVER be allowed by NCOs/Officers to go into battle wearing only their webbing.

Lemonater47;n2309174 said:
It's not a cheat.

I can count atleast 3 times as VC where I've come upon someone dressed like a VC (webbing, no hat, no shirt) who i hesitated to shoot, who then turned and killed me instead. You're effectively dressing like the enemy in an online MP game and gaining an unfair advantage. You telling me thats not a cheat? Why don't we just do away with uniforms altogether and we can all run around in shorts and weapons?

Upvote 0
The_Pharoah;n2309206 said:
I can count atleast 3 times as VC where I've come upon someone dressed like a VC (webbing, no hat, no shirt) who i hesitated to shoot, who then turned and killed me instead. You're effectively dressing like the enemy in an online MP game and gaining an unfair advantage. You telling me thats not a cheat? Why don't we just do away with uniforms altogether and we can all run around in shorts and weapons?

You have it in your head that "shirtless" = VC.

Why??

That sounds like your problem.

Upvote 0
I'm seeing a lot more of this - players from both sides are essentially dressing the same ie. green helmet (yes even for NVA), no shirt and green pants. This wouldn't be such a problem if we didn't have friendly fire enabled, but we do so if we do mistake them for the enemy and kill...we get pinged for the TK (every time thats happened to me, i've never been forgiven for the tk). Thats just BS.

the other point I'm trying to raise is, it just looks silly. C'mon we're suposed to be representing the USarmy/USMC/PAVN/VC and we're allowed to run around semi naked. Bit disrespectful don't you think? This isn't CS.

Upvote 0
The_Pharoah;n2309560 said:
I'm seeing a lot more of this - players from both sides are essentially dressing the same ie. green helmet (yes even for NVA), no shirt and green pants. This wouldn't be such a problem if we didn't have friendly fire enabled, but we do so if we do mistake them for the enemy and kill...we get pinged for the TK (every time thats happened to me, i've never been forgiven for the tk). Thats just BS.

the other point I'm trying to raise is, it just looks silly. C'mon we're suposed to be representing the USarmy/USMC/PAVN/VC and we're allowed to run around semi naked. Bit disrespectful don't you think? This isn't CS.

The tiger striped Boonies for the US or the cap for the PAVN are worse IMHO, the ssh-39 is pretty distinct.

Upvote 0
when you're fighting in the jungle or open areas, its much easier to tell the diff between US/PAVN troops (primarily uniform followed by how they hold their rifle when sprinting). its when you get into dense jungle or cities like Hue where you only have a split second to distinguish between friend/foe when you can be confronted by either friend/foe wearing the same basic uniform ie. no shirt, just helmet, webbing, pants, rifle, that it becomes a problem. Like i said above, if FF wasn't on, I wouldn't have any problems...but FF is on for the most part...and these idiots will NOT forgive you for TK'ing them. So you end up copping the TK time AND point penalties. Thats BS. Plus it just looks plain stupid. Noone fights like that IRL. Not willingly anyway. This isn't Sparta. Have some respect for the soldiers who actually did fight and wore their uniforms proudly.

Upvote 0
lol ok i finally did it....playing last night - I run over to cap D (which has a burning M113 in front of bunkers). As I'm waiting on the flanks, out pops two guys in almost exactly the same outfit...both with a helmet, no shirt, weapons. I shoot both of them - 1 kill, 1 TK. This is BS. oh and the guy didn't bother to forgive even after i apologised so I lost points, had a time penalty, etc. WTF is that? For the record, one came around the corner of the bunker (VC) and the other behind the burning M113 (friendly). A lot of the time the blue diamond doesn't show up, esp if they are partically covered. Players know that it gives them a slight advantage because, with FF on, people tend to check first before firing...which gives them a split second advantage.

This is BS Tripwire - please fix this.

Upvote 0
yeah there's a big problem with that. One issue i find is that the friendly player icon (blue triangle) is located in the centre of their body...which is fine if you see their whole body running....a lot of time (esp in the jungle, etc) you only see their top half. Throw in the ability to customize their appearance (esp no shirt, no helmet, etc) and all you see is the top half of a shadow. Then FF comes into play. I like having FF on (makes you a bit more careful) however I don't like it where the game is designed to allow this level of customisation (and even states in the game itself something like 'watch how you dress, dress like an enemy and you will get shot, etc' but then relies on the person getting shot to NOT penalise you for the TK). That doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0
The_Pharoah;n2309706 said:
... A lot of the time the blue diamond doesn't show up, esp if they are partically covered. Players know that it gives them a slight advantage because, with FF on, people tend to check first before firing...which gives them a split second advantage.....

This is BS Tripwire - please fix this.
Two observations:
Cyan: There's your problem. Depending upon a "help" to play the game. Magic "don't shoot I'm on your team markers" never should have been introduced in an RO series.

Red: I mean really. Who plays with FF off? Are there actually populated servers that run with FF off? Another feature that should never have been introduced. Another dumbing down option of a good game.

Upvote 0