• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SKS Ammunition Inconsistency?

VTD75

Sep 23, 2017
The ammunition load for the SKS rifle is in a very weird place right now:

SKS – 8 clips (80 rounds)

M14 – 6 Magazines (120 rounds)

AK-47 – 4 Magazines (120 rounds)

This is very strange, considering that in real life, both the M-14 and its 7.62x51 mm ammunition weigh slightly more than the SKS and its 7.62x39mm rounds. Furthermore, the AK-47 load-out receives more rounds, despite using the same ammunition type. While the 10-round capacity of the SKS means that the SKS user would have to carry more clips for the same amount of ammunition, the SKS stripper clips are also a great deal smaller and lighter than M-14 or AK magazines.

I can't see any compelling gameplay reason for keeping the SKS ammunition load arbitrarily low like this, and I would suggest boosting the loadout's ammunition to match the AK-47 (120 rounds / 12 SKS clips). Thoughts?

The clips are massive. Kinda hard to store.

8 clips was actually the standard for a soviet soldier post WW2. For the short lived time the SKS was a thing. It was seen as an upgrade at the time as with their mosins they only carried 50. So if they are using webbing designed similarly you would only have room for 8 clips.

Plus it doesn't need as many bullets as the AKs. 80 is fine.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2308792 said:
The clips are massive. Kinda hard to store.

Uh, what?

Have you seen SKS stripper clips?

The clip is about 12.5 cm (5") long and about 1.5 cm (0.6") wide. That's about 4" shorter than an AK magazine, and just over half as wide - not to mention much lighter to boot.

Far from being 'massive', you can probably carry one or two around in your trouser pockets.

Lemonater47;n2308792 said:
It was seen as an upgrade at the time as with their mosins they only carried 50. So if they are using webbing designed similarly you would only have room for 8 clips.

NVA and NLF soldiers often used Chinese-supplied chest rigs with ten pockets. That's 100 rounds, plus ten in the rifle.

Later rigging for the Type 56 / AK had fewer pouches, but each was larger, and could easily accommodate more that one stripper clip.

Upvote 0
I agree, the SKS stripper clip isn't huge. And yeah, the Vietnamese used a lot of "Chi-Com" 10 pocket bandolier/belts.

I would disagree with the Type 56 Chi-Com chest rig being able to hold more in a practical way. You may be able to fit 1 clip in each of the 4 cleaning kit pouches, maybe not, and you could probably fit 2 or 3 in each of the 3 AK mag pockets but the one(s) at the bottom would be very hard to get out, the pockets aren't big enough to get you hand deep inside, you would have to pull the clip out with your fingers. Of course you could modify them to make it easier to take out but I doubt that would be done.

I'm not opposed to increasing the ammo on the SKS, but I will say that the amount of ammo in game doesn't match up to either the common amount carried in real life or the the gear in game would be able to hold.

Upvote 0
I have a couple russian sks's and a couple original ten pocket chicom chest rigs. I always put two loaded stripper clips in each pocket. There is plenty of room if the stripper clips are inserted diametrically opposed to each other in the pocket. So if you use the cloth lined pockets for stripper clips that gives you 9 pockets x 2 stripper clips of ten = 180 rounds of ammo. 200 rounds if you use the rubber lined pocket (originally for the cleaning kit) for stripper clips as well. Nice compact package, much less bulky than an ak chest rig stuffed with ak mags.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dagfinnr;n2309373 said:
I have a couple russian sks's and a couple original ten pocket chicom chest rigs. I always put two loaded stripper clips in each pocket. There is plenty of room if the stripper clips are inserted diametrically opposed to each other in the pocket. So if you use the cloth lined pockets for stripper clips that gives you 9 pockets x 2 stripper clips of ten = 180 rounds of ammo. 200 rounds if you use the rubber lined pocket (originally for the cleaning kit) for stripper clips as well. Nice compact package, much less bulky than an ak chest rig stuffed with ak mags.

Good info, thanks!

Upvote 0