• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

L2A1 Flash Supressor incorrect?

I'll be super devastated if we can't all have target scopes on our Slur's, ...oh & Owens too. Lol

to give an idea of how much influence the XM-21 had on Australia's vietnam war, when the army finally started to put its sniping program back together in the mid 70's, (after long hiatus) the first few intakes of students went through with 35+ year old No1MkIII HT's (smellies). Aparently the xm-21's were still sitting in arsenal @ iirc holsworthy well into the 90's

Yeah you are right, really having either in game, is "grossly overreaching"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Destraex;n2306353 said:
They do seem to pair them up with 60s as well... where in this game they sub for the 60 as the main and only SAW/GPMG
By the time the ANZAC entered the war with regular troops, the M60 was already introduced for years in numbers. First orders for testing were in 1960. In 1961 the first production models came in. By the time they entered the war officially in 1965, it was pretty much a matter of choice which LMG to use. The L2A1 couldn't do much what the L1A1 could do also, at a lighter weight. That's probably why there aren't that much pictures around of the L2A1. At that time there were different muzzle devices available. It might have been a choice in the armory, which one to use. Usually soldiers will favour less weight and that might be the reason why that big recoil reducer didn't see much use. The L2A1 isn't really suited for automatic fire anyways. The handbook recommends bursts of 2-3 rounds for effectively accurate fire. At that rate a semi auto L1A1 is not that much inferior. And firing from a closed bolt makes that plattform undesirable for extensive fire anyways.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2306600 said:
That sounds too good to be not balanced with an awful scope like the SVD. A FAL with low magnification scope could be easily gamebreaking overpowered.
How exactly would that be overpowered in any way? It's still just a semi-auto rifle, and if it's accuracy was modeled realistically it wouldn't even be as accurate as the XM21(which already has a low powered scope with pretty good FOV).

I mean if that would somehow be "gamebreaking overpowered" how the hell is the XM21 already not overpowered? Army Marksmen aren't typically racking up the kills in this game. Ranges allow you to perform almost ideally with an AK or M16, LMGs, and not to mention in many cases the PPSH as well.

Omitting something from the game because of the fear it would be "too overpowered" is one of the lamest reasons not to add weapons imo. Add the damn weapons if they make sense, and make them as authentic as possible.

You could probably give the L1A1 a damn ACOG and people would still be able to rack up more kills with an M16 or PPSH.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gladius;n2306631 said:
The XM21 is gimped down with a slow time to go into aim down sights and abysmal sway. When you fired a real battlerifle of that class, with a low magnification scope, then you should rather understand what I mean. Marksmen rifles are crippled in that game for balance reasons.
Yeah and they shouldn't be. The "balance reasons" are complete bull**** imo. Scopes don't magically make rifles death machines where they need other attributes reduced, not in RS2 at least.

When you're in range virtually all the time in the game to be counter-sniped with a Type 56 or M16A1 scoped rifles are not overpowered. They become even less so when people learn the maps that get constantly played on.

To this day I will never understand the fear that putting a scope on a rifle makes it "too good," not when it already so damn easy to use iron sights in the game anyways.

In any case that has nothing to do with adding a scoped L1A1 or not, you're now talking about how scoped rifles are treated in general in the game.

Upvote 0
Jagdwyre;n2306632 said:
In any case that has nothing to do with adding a scoped L1A1 or not, you're now talking about how scoped rifles are treated in general in the game.
That's right, I didn't say that weapon shouldn't be added per se. I'm saying that a realistic portrayal would be easily gamebreaking overpowered to the standards of the current marksman rifles.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2306633 said:
That's right, I didn't say that weapon shouldn't be added per se. I'm saying that a realistic portrayal would be easily gamebreaking overpowered to the standards of the current marksman rifles.
You've given me zero insight into why you think it would even be overpowered other than saying "it would be overpowered." I've mentioned why I don't think it would be at all, engagement ranges, ease of use of iron sights in the game, map design, and what weapons people realistically actually get a ton of kills with in RS2.

RO2 had even faster ADS at level 50, and easier to use scopes. Yet a scoped SVT was hardly gamebreakingly overpowered. Engagement ranges on the majority of maps in RS2 really isn't that much farther than they were on a lot of maps in RO2, especially ones added post release.

Upvote 0
The RO2 comparison falls short because the environment is totally different. Not much bushes in RO2 and the tactical scenario is more symmetric. Iron sights aren't realistic either in RS2, because they obscure the field of view. If you would portray a FAL with a x4 scope realistically, that would be easily the best gun in the game. And that's not gonna happen and you know it. What we will more likely get is something gimped like the XM21 mechanic.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2306646 said:
The RO2 comparison falls short because the environment is totally different. Not much bushes in RO2 and the tactical scenario is more symmetric. Iron sights aren't realistic either in RS2, because they obscure the field of view. If you would portray a FAL with a x4 scope realistically, that would be easily the best gun in the game. And that's not gonna happen and you know it. What we will more likely get is something gimped like the XM21 mechanic.
Yeah no, it would not be the best gun in the game. I really honestly have no idea why you think it would be. If they reduced the sway of the XM21 to what the M14 has and increased the speed at which you could scope in similar to how fast you can with iron sights it wouldn't be the best gun in the game, let alone "easily." The exact same would be true for a scoped L1A1.

They will still have more recoil than an M16 or AK, they are not capable of full auto fire(which some people care about more than others), they'd still be at a disadvantage in CQC compared to iron sights, and they'd still take multiple shots to kill an enemy if you don't get a hit in the head or chest. The scope isn't going to make it hit harder or make the recoil smoother.

Scoped rifles being a little easier to aim and use would be no more "overpowered" than the fact you can sprint around and shoulder fire an M60 or DP28 in the game.

Upvote 0
It gets overpowered when one player has better target aqquisition, compared to another without scope. Dunno about your game experience but I get fragged many times because I didn't positively identify a shadow as a threat.

Personally I don't care much about the unrealistic portrayed marksman rifles anyways. For me it's immersion breaking in a way that I can't really enjoy them. Realistic would be a better peripherical view and faster times to go into aim down sights. In the game we have just the ready stance and the low ready. There is nothing like a high ready and anything in between our two stances we have some gamey delay for balance reasons.

Upvote 0
While an L1, w/ 4x optic would be cool and all, it's all a little academic after the fact that Australia had no organised sniping doctrine whilst in vietnam, and of any instances where individual infantrymen found themselves in a faux designated marksman role of sorts, it was far few than 1/32nd or 2/32nd ratio of main force when averaged out, making it a little disingenuous that the new Australian faction should have a marksman role @ all.
Think this was in part, what Lemonater had hinted at earlier.
don't get me wrong im all for variety & inclusion of interesting but plausible weaponry, but.....

Anyway food for thought.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Destraex , looks like you've had a win, they've corrected the L2a1 model with the normal L1 flash hider & the tangent style rearsight, in this current beta.

The tangent aperture seems probably a bit harder for target aquisition, not a problem with the dimensions as such, more that none of the ingame appertures ghost away properly! it was on long tan though, in low light, where appertures would inherently struggle anyway..

Upvote 0