• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What weapon do you think need buff?

kuky90;n2304036 said:
Forgot to ask what do you guys say on damage from side gunners on helicopter? It's like 3-4 shots into body to kill. Few times already i have seen RPG camping, shot him 2x, I heard this body shot sound but he didnt die, in fact he wrecked us.

i've noticed some cookyness with choppers. unloaded a whole mag at a hovering Loach on the firebase an an lo...perspex is not at all bullet proof...chopper just flew away no kill message. aside from the the biggest problems with the game are still hit detection, followed by damage models / amounts and horrible sights. then at the end of the list is some fishy players you seem to see on off-times etc.

on a side note, US shotguns seem to have a huge spread or very low damage...or both. I refuse to believe that the hunting shotgun with the full barrel has that much more power than the trench gun and is still deadly out to 50-60 ish meters if lucky but the Trench gun with that ludicrous pump animation (not how i pump my pump guns) in real life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
gimpy117;n2305093 said:
i've noticed some cookyness with choppers. unloaded a whole mag at a hovering Loach on the firebase an an lo...perspex is not at all bullet proof...chopper just flew away no kill message. aside from the the biggest problems with the game are still hit detection, followed by damage models / amounts and horrible sights. then at the end of the list is some fishy players you seem to see on off-times etc.

on a side note, US shotguns seem to have a huge spread or very low damage...or both. I refuse to believe that the hunting shotgun with the full barrel has that much more power than the trench gun and is still deadly out to 50-60 ish meters if lucky but the Trench gun with that ludicrous pump animation (not how i pump my pump guns) in real life.

Pilots in choppers actually have increased bullet resistance. They're literally got bullet proof plating in their flight suit. But yeah otherwise it would be too easy to shoot them.

The loach does have 2 pilots. You may have hit the AI pilot. I have been in a loach where 3 people
unloaded on the front. A dshsk had damaged my engine and rotors as I flew out of sight of it. I ended up low to the ground and struggling to regain altitude. 3 people
opened fire full auto at the front. Co pilot exploded in blood. I don't know how many times my character got hit as there's no damage indicators. But they took my engine out completely while I was at full collective. So I dropped to the ground slightly too fast and died in impact. Looking at the bullet impacts there were none directly in front of me. But there were plenty on the left side of the chopper. I'm not talking about the holes but the actual impact fx that happen.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2305124 said:
Pilots in choppers actually have increased bullet resistance. They're literally got bullet proof plating in their flight suit. But yeah otherwise it would be too easy to shoot them.

that literally makes no sense. WHY? it would balance chopper greatly and make chopper pilots fly their craft in a way to avoid small arms fire.

Upvote 0
gimpy117;n2305129 said:
that literally makes no sense. WHY? it would balance chopper greatly and make chopper pilots fly their craft in a way to avoid small arms fire.

It kinda does, choppers aren't too difficult to shoot down, especially the loach (i killed one with a pre nerf mat49 once) They usually don't survive a well placed bust of the DshK.

Upvote 0
gimpy117;n2305129 said:
There is only so much "flying to avoid small arms fire" you can do when you're restricted by the map. There are only so many areas you can land infantry and theoretically every single one of them can be camped by guys with an AK or RPD simultaneously.

Unless, of course, you want pilots landing you on top of your default spawn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aircrew Body Armor 'Chicken Plate'

FSN 8470-999-1474 (size: Regular)
Specification MIL-C-43544

Imagevwr.aspx

The 1968 designed version of the aircrew small arms protective body armor carrier featured large envelopes to accommodate a front torso protector for pilots or front and rear plates for gunners, who did not have the benefit of armored seats.
http://www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=310

e63b5dda59a6c068cb95b0a847b54ec7.jpg

One much appreciated item of flight gear was my "titty protector" (or "Chicken Plate"). The protective vest was a large plate of ceramic, which weighed several pounds, and which the pilot strapped on to protect from frontal shots. I was told that the plate would stop a round from an AK47 or similar type of small arm, so I got very attached to it very fast.
http://www.centaursinvietnam.org/WarStories/WarEssays/E_FNG.html

Upvote 0
Ceramic plates. Designed to break the bullet on impact. Much harder than steel. Steel catches the bullet absorbing its force. Unlike a ceramic plate which pushes that force back into the round shattering it. Unless of course you get a really really think steel plate. Which would be extremely heavy in comparison to ceramic material. Downside of ceramic plates is that it's not good at sustaining multiple hits. The reason being because it's brittle. Hence the "do not drop" sign on the armour.

Upvote 0
Ah. I guess those came later in the war. My understanding was that what they had early on was either laughable or so heavy and restrictive that they were never worn. I never followed the development of the hardware. My brother flew in '62-63 up until his demise and never heard of him wearing plate. I was only 6 or 7 at the time, but don't recall seeing anything since.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2305291 said:
Ceramic plates. Designed to break the bullet on impact. Much harder than steel. Steel catches the bullet absorbing its force. Unlike a ceramic plate which pushes that force back into the round shattering it. Unless of course you get a really really think steel plate. Which would be extremely heavy in comparison to ceramic material. Downside of ceramic plates is that it's not good at sustaining multiple hits. The reason being because it's brittle. Hence the "do not drop" sign on the armour.
Both steel and ceramic have a hard strike face that blunts, fractures and erodes the projectile, and a soft backing, made from ballistic fibres, that absorbs the residual energy. The only real difference between steel and ceramic is that steel is cheaper and much heavier.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2305386 said:
Both steel and ceramic have a hard strike face that blunts, fractures and erodes the projectile, and a soft backing, made from ballistic fibres, that absorbs the residual energy. The only real difference between steel and ceramic is that steel is cheaper and much heavier.

And much more flexible.

Steel dents. Ceramic doesn't.

Upvote 0