• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROK South Korean Forces in Vietnam instead of ANZACS

shnukshnuk

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
No Republic of Korea planned?
So I was looking at the planned features for future updates and I noticed how ARVN and ANZAC factions are mentioned. \

However, I did a little bit of research and apparently South Korea sent 320,000 soldiers to Vietnam; six times that of Australia. Is there a reason RoK forces aren't planned at this time despite their big role in the conflict? Just curious.

based on casualty figures the ROKs saw way more action than the ANZACs- ROK lost 5000 KIA to the Aussies 500- that statistic alone is very telling as to who saw more combat.
but as Static said, equipment wise, the ROKs would be no different in their TOE than the US or ARVN.

they were absolutely feared by the viet kong which refused to engage them unless victory was assured

ROK South Korean Forces In Vietnam
why are we adding ANZACS?? when the south koreans gave more troops and were more well known then them??

The South Koreans sent over 300000 soldiers to vietnam the most besides the USA!

The Republic of Korea (South Korea), under the administration of Park Chung-hee, took an active role in the Vietnam War. From 1964 to 1973, South Korea sent more than 300,000 troops to Vietnam. The South Korean Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force all participated as an ally of the United States. The number of troops from South Korea was much greater than those from Australia and New Zealand, and second only to the U.S. military force. The military commander was Lieutenant General Chae Myung-shin, ROK Army.

The South Korean forces had 3,800 combat deaths and 41,000 enemies were killed
Capital Mechanized Infantry Division (Tiger)
ROK 2nd Marine Brigade (Blue Dragon)
ROK 9th Infantry Division (White Horse)
Operations involving South Korea during the Vietnam War
Battle of Bong Son
Battle of Trà Bình
Operation Hong Kil Dong

look at these pictures!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...o_outpost..jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/ireport/sm/p...3441631_p9.jpg

WHY are we getting anzacs?? when the REAL faction we should get is NOT the south vietnamese army or the ANZACS but the South Korean forces in vietnam!!

I would imagine there would be a reason like the ANZAC uses British weaponry where as the ROK would have US supplied arms so whats the point in adding the ROK if its just going to be an Korean voice over and slight uniform change over the US faction and nothing else included in the game? Seems kinda pointless just to appease you.

Despite the historical significance i couldn't see it being practically worth while for the Dev team to pursue such a thing other than the wank factor.

Upvote 0
Bundy;n2302855 said:
I would imagine there would be a reason like the ANZAC uses British weaponry where as the ROK would have US supplied arms so whats the point in adding the ROK if its just going to be an Korean voice over and slight uniform change over the US faction and nothing else included in the game? Seems kinda pointless just to appease you.

Despite the historical significance i couldn't see it being practically worth while for the Dev team to pursue such a thing other than the wank factor.

Aussies should also have a bit different tactics than the US, ARVN and ROKA. For example, I've read that they used smaller caliber artillery than the US. That's because the US tactic was that when the troops had a contact to the enemy, they fell back and let the arty do the work. The Aussies didn't fall back, they just called the artillery in front of them and when the bombardment ended, they swoop the area before Viet Cong/North Vietnamese were back on their entrenched positions. That could be implemented quite easily to the game.

Upvote 0
One really good reason it'll be the ANZAC Battalion would be that rather than just having regular South Korean forces en masse on the same maps, which it would be because they only sent infantry and mechanised infantry, it'll be an opportunity to expand game modes and maps, and, of course, they used different small arms. The ANZACs were mostly support groups, but they sent Australian and NZ SAS troops, together with pioneers from artillery and infantry. They all had extensive jungle experience from working with the British Gurkhas, the Malayan Emergency, the war in Borneo, and, of course, Korea.

It's not that they did things differently from the US, but they began as a counterinsurgency group working in the jungle and the desert, and that's how they were employed. They were LRRPs type objectives, so similar to what the US Rangers did, but with different accents and uniforms.

Personally I can't wait to see the Maori SAS Trooper with the moko. :)

Upvote 0
shnukshnuk;n2302509 said:
actually lots of south koreans played RS1 i know this whats to say they wouldnt play this? Koreans get left out of everything....

So you disguise your want (being from S Korea I assume) for SK forces behind some bull**** stats.

Please at least be honest.... you want SK forces over ANZACS for your own personal pleasure and not for anything else like what does bringing in a new faction thats exactly the same as another existing one, that will bring no new style or tactics just because you're south korean.

Who says SK saw f'all action and died lots cause they where ****? I mean seriously dude its a game and if you want SK forces that are identical to merikan forces then make to mod, I want TWI to spend time making new weapons with factins that will have a differing play style.

Upvote 0
Take a moment and think about the size your testicles must be to do it.

If you have even gone caving, that **** is ****ed up as is.

Go into a dodgy tunnel full of spiders and snakes that have been deliberately installed so that the guys who are unaware, they open the compartment and they wander out to say hello. If that doesn't scare you, how about pointy sticks that have been sitting in a pool of **** for months poking you. Imagine how good flashlights were back then. Imagine the average size of a large testicled aussie vs a VC who barely ate food regarding tunnel sizes. Imagine going down with a tiny 6 shooter pistol with guys who number 1 job is to kill you.

Let me summarize.

**** THAT

Upvote 0
Yeah, but in this game the tunnels are large, clean, and well-lit.

ARVN still need to be up first. The Koreans truly deserve it the most, but you guys are right, they don't have enough new content to justify that. With the South Vietnamese however, you could finally have all the WW2 weapons everyone keeps asking for, plus brand-new clothing and customization.

Especially with the Rangers, those guys had some wicked uniforms:
mypzX.png

Reactions: Arisaka99
Upvote 0