• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bloody hell.............

Lemonater47

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2014
20170801213245_1.jpg

Why?

Surely there must be a reason. Or are you truly just not at all putting any thought into the maps you make. Regardless of who the hell is making them.

What the **** is up with your obsession that EVERY SINGLE MAP has to be 40 minutes long. Regardless of game mode, tickets, amount of cap zones and general balance. I mean really. There's no possible way any form of logical thought is being put into this decision. It's pretty damn obvious that the time a map takes is simply overlooked.

Hell. You haven't even bothered to change the tickets from the SU version lol. You're looking at the TE version right here. 400 tickets for 40 minutes. Every single TWI RO2 mapper and old RS1 mapper will tell you that its a bad idea. Every custom mapper will tell you its a bad idea. So why the hell is it being done. Who the hell decided that this was a good idea. I haven't had a proper look at the time and tickets for the other maps. But I bet you haven't changed the time and tickets for the other two when you converted them. I hope I'm wrong, but I bet I'm not.

This is one of the Major reasons as to why your maps are bad. Because no thought gets put into the time a map takes and there ain't much thought going into tickets. You need to consider BOTH.

If you have thought this through then please, tell me how you came to this conclusion that this is good.

If your new maps release like that. Without any consideration into what the time and tickets should be.... Lets just say people would be fully justified to call you morons in that regard. By definition of the term "moron". Unless you can somehow come up with a very good excuse as to why it is how it is.

It's just not very encouraging when you see the same mistakes repeated again. Which is why I want to heavily make this point.

Every single TE and SU map in the game is 40 minutes long. Only ONE map has enough tickets to even remotely last that full 40 minutes and that is the SU version of An Lao.

This is something that was not changed during beta and to this day still hasn't changed 2 months post release. Even if it has been acknowledged multiple times nothing was actually done about it.

Upvote 0
"Increased the duration of Lockdown from 3 min to 5 min."

You need a facepalm emoji. Just for this. Though it is beyond hilarious to be honest. At least you're trying.

People did say that lockdown became active too fast. You listened to that. But instead of actually solving the problem by you know, making the time before lockdown is active longer on a map by map basis. You instead make this global change which is likely to cause as many problems as it solves. Your level designers to busy or something? Had to rope in a programmer to make some sort of change? I'm struggling to come up for a logical reason for this.

Still no time related changes on any of the maps either by the way. Old or new. I wonder what the explanation is for this global 40 minute timer. If there even is one.

I would go over my thoughts on the ticket changes. But it doesn't really matter does it. When the time of all the maps is 40 minutes lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just can't get my head around some of the logic used as well. The game has been out for almost 3 months now and they didn't bother to balance any of the maps at all......

Everyone complains about how powerful the M16 is, solution, Buff the AK by a massive 25% reduction in recoil.... End result is, I can still go full auto with m16 and destroy people from 100 metres almost every single time.

They pretty much universally buff the VC and then decide the ignore the fact that some of the maps are overwhelmingly VC favoured like CuChi or Song_Be.

After almost 3 months, you would think they may have cottoned onto the fact that a good cobra ruins a map for one team, do they do anything about this at all?

I actually used to defend TW over hard criticisms from Ajskold because TW is a small company with limited resources but some of the criticisms are impossible to defend now. There are so many simple fixes that would make huge differences to the quality of this game that they could make that are not constrained by the size of the company and yet, they are simply not prioritized.

As Lemon has clearly shown, it's simple things like Ticket size, map time, Tunnel Locations and other simple balance decisions over time consuming things such as redesigning the lighting for 2 already released maps that are worse than the originals.

If they ruin Song_Be supremacy map with that time of the day, I'm going to be livid.

Upvote 0
heathen;n2302574 said:
Yep, I'm not sure what you are getting at tho Sgt Ro. Just because the game is asymmetrical, that doesn't mean they shouldn't balance the game.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/asymmetric

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_warfare

hope this helps you understand,Red Orchestra / Rising Storm games tend to be more "realistic" than Battlefield / CoD ,its more a matter of the tactics that certain factions use / used in real life conflicts than video game "balance"

from the game description in the Steam Store page:

"...asymmetric gameplay..."

"Rising Storm 2: Vietnam offers intense tactical action for up to 64 players in battles between the US forces and the Vietnamese, with each force having their own unique abilities and tactical advantages such as Napalm Strikes, Artillery Barrages, surface-to-air missiles, traps, ambushes and more."

if you are looking for a more "balanced" game, Red Orchestra / Rising Storm its not the game for you, ASYMMETRIC GAMEPLAY its what makes Red Orchestra / Rising Storm more unique than other Online Multiplayer FPS games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sgt.Ro;n2302618 said:

hope this helps you understand,Red Orchestra / Rising Storm games tend to be more "realistic" than Battlefield / CoD ,its more a matter of the tactics that certain factions use / used in real life conflicts than video game "balance"

"Rising Storm 2: Vietnam offers intense tactical action for up to 64 players in battles between the US forces and the Vietnamese, with each force having their own unique abilities and tactical advantages such as Napalm Strikes, Artillery Barrages, surface-to-air missiles, traps, ambushes and more."

if you are looking for a more "balanced" game, Red Orchestra / Rising Storm its not the game for you, ASYMMETRIC GAMEPLAY its what makes Red Orchestra / Rising Storm more unique than other Online Multiplayer FPS games.

Well thats not really an arguement and you know that arent you?
Assymetric does not equal imbalanced by any chance. Game still suffers from a bad game design in regards of maps balance especially.

Reactions: RandomPerson78642
Upvote 0
Sgt.Ro;n2302618 said:

Red orchestra 2 was trying to be symmetric. Scrapped that idea.

What I'm talking about is the maps. Specifically one small aspect of the maps. One that doesn't make sense to me or anyone other than AMG. Hell it might not even make sense to them lol.

But yes you seem to be implying asymmetry = imbalanced. Which isn't the case. That's how they balance the asymmetry. By designing maps so that each side has a more or less equal chance of success. No easy thing to do. But it can be done and it has been done.

Upvote 0