• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level 99

Xenice

May 30, 2017
Hello everyone. I was playing on a server, and I saw someone who was level 99. I was so surpirsed - and I wondered if reaching lvl 99 legit was even possible. I checked his profile and he had 32 hours played on Rising Storm 2.

I am just wondering if these kind of people are punished - such as having their ranks reset or even banned. Will there also be ways to detect this in the future, or would things stay as it is regarding boosters. I think it would be fun to see a way to distinguish between boosters and non-boosters, aside from the unusually high levels. But this probably won't happen.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to tell me what you think of this currently growing problem of boosting.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far they are not going to be punished for mildly cheating in the game. Level 99 now is largely meaningless as 100's of people used the go get 140,000 points hack map in 10's of minutes. Those servers seem to be gone now, but damage is done.

So no more potential gauging of a player and their grasp of rolls by level. Assume a level 99 is s garbage to average player. Usually garbage. If anyone starts a vote on their exploiting butt I would vote yes just because.

Upvote 0
In a way, i'm glad that they boosted to level 99. We can wag our fingers at the boosters since it's obvious who they are. Well, true they've gotten their cosmetics now - but they'll be looked down upon by most players, especially the more experienced ones who didn't boost.

It will take ages before anyone legitimately reaches lvl 99, so in the mean time it's obvious who boosted. The boosters might even become inactive, or quit all together since there's nothing to level up to/work towards (unless they really enjoy the game-play itself)

Upvote 0
For those who may not have seen Yoshiro's explanation of Tripwire's views on this subject:

"We value (and know many of our players do as well) the communities ability to create custom content and host servers. Putting restrictions on those creates friction points for both players, content creators and admins, which is why in our current generation of games we have removed them (in both KF 2 and RS 2). Our general line of thought is: if players want to ruin their own experience and not impact other players, that is on them. Do not take that as our approval or condoing the practice.
As has been pointed out in this thread a few times, the vast majority of players don't do things like boosting, and combating it is a never ending game of cat and mouse or the removal of player/server/creator freedoms up to the point where all of them are removed (which is the only totally safe way to do it)."

Reactions: Xenice
Upvote 0
I'm fine with it. It's only superficial anyway. The only problem I have with it is the increased numbers of bare-chested fools with the cavalry hat running around the place. Also non-regulation gear and looking like a VC gets you shot by your own team, so there's that.

In RO2 it gave you boosts like a better weapon and slightly better aim when you maxed out a weapon, and some minor extra stuff. I actually enjoyed the little boosts I got from leveling up my Mosin and K98, even though I dislike stuff like that, but it wasn't all that much anyway.

If this was the case in RS2 then it would be a problem that needed to be dealt with, but at the moment it's no big deal.

Upvote 0
Kittenmittens;n2301115 said:
For those who may not have seen Yoshiro's explanation of Tripwire's views on this subject:

"We value (and know many of our players do as well) the communities ability to create custom content and host servers. Putting restrictions on those creates friction points for both players, content creators and admins, which is why in our current generation of games we have removed them (in both KF 2 and RS 2). Our general line of thought is: if players want to ruin their own experience and not impact other players, that is on them. Do not take that as our approval or condoing the practice.
As has been pointed out in this thread a few times, the vast majority of players don't do things like boosting, and combating it is a never ending game of cat and mouse or the removal of player/server/creator freedoms up to the point where all of them are removed (which is the only totally safe way to do it)."

I feel there needs to be some negative consequences for boosting still though. it is a form of cheating IMO

Upvote 0
Xenice;n2301057 said:
In a way, i'm glad that they boosted to level 99. We can wag our fingers at the boosters since it's obvious who they are. Well, true they've gotten their cosmetics now - but they'll be looked down upon by most players, especially the more experienced ones who didn't boost.

It will take ages before anyone legitimately reaches lvl 99, so in the mean time it's obvious who boosted. The boosters might even become inactive, or quit all together since there's nothing to level up to/work towards (unless they really enjoy the game-play itself)

While you are probably safe wagging your finger at lvl 99's be careful doing it to lvl 60-70's. I had some guy accuse me of boosting to lvl 63 today. Was wearing a normal uniform with Lowland ERDL helmet. Anyone that plays TL a lot would also be further along than me since I hardly ever do it. My account here is from 2013. Played the heck out of both RO2/RS before this.

Upvote 0
FBlue;n2301264 said:
While you are probably safe wagging your finger at lvl 99's be careful doing it to lvl 60-70's. I had some guy accuse me of boosting to lvl 63 today. Was wearing a normal uniform with Lowland ERDL helmet. Anyone that plays TL a lot would also be further along than me since I hardly ever do it. My account here is from 2013. Played the heck out of both RO2/RS before this.

I wouldn't really suspect lvl 60's of boosting. Anyway, I hope you don't mind me asking - how many hours have you played? I just want to get an idea on how long it takes to become level 60, excluding the fact that there are obviously other things to take into account.

I'm lvl 47, and have 124 hours played. I guess you have around 300+ hours played? Like I said, there are other things to take into account since the amount of xp you get can vary each match. But just curious.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am level 80 and no boosting involved. So its possible to get up there without any of that crap. I dont see how you have a level 99 legit but an pretty darn sure some folks in the 80 to maybe early 90's range may well be legit. But if you have been playing THAT long you probably are familiar with their names. After all, you play to damned much and so do they.

Upvote 0
Flashburn;n2301434 said:
I am level 80 and no boosting involved. So its possible to get up there without any of that crap. I dont see how you have a level 99 legit but an pretty darn sure some folks in the 80 to maybe early 90's range may well be legit. But if you have been playing THAT long you probably are familiar with their names. After all, you play to damned much and so do they.

Can you give me an idea of how many hours you've played? I'm assuming you play a lot of sl role and cap a lot of objectives through each round. You probably have 400+ hours also? I'm not trying to call you a booster, but personally I can't see how getting level 80 legit at this current time is even possible. I hope you don't mind me asking your number of hours. That level at this stage, earned legitimately, seems insane.

Upvote 0
Xenice;n2301468 said:
Can you give me an idea of how many hours you've played? I'm assuming you play a lot of sl role and cap a lot of objectives through each round. You probably have 400+ hours also? I'm not trying to call you a booster, but personally I can't see how getting level 80 legit at this current time is even possible. I hope you don't mind me asking your number of hours. That level at this stage, earned legitimately, seems insane.

He probably collected the most out of the double xp event, still it's an achievement which raises questions he must have at least what ? 500-800hours already

Upvote 0
Hmmmmm 677 hours. BUT about 270 of that was with the beta and tail end of alpha. But that dont count as my level 57 or so from that reset at launch. So about 400 hours of just playing TE and Sup legit. Which seems insane! Its probably closer to like 360 hours of actual playing and not having the game just idle do to me walking away or goofing around. The 2x xp post launch I used to get to level 54. Stats say I average like 750 points a match. But its common to get like 1100. More like 400 on the low end to 1200 on the high end for full matches.

But there have been a number of "binge" days since at least for the next couple weeks I got nothing to do but burn time. Totally in the middle of things.

Upvote 0
Flashburn;n2301507 said:
Hmmmmm 677 hours. BUT about 270 of that was with the beta and tail end of alpha. But that dont count as my level 57 or so from that reset at launch. So about 400 hours of just playing TE and Sup legit. Which seems insane! Its probably closer to like 360 hours of actual playing and not having the game just idle do to me walking away or goofing around. The 2x xp post launch I used to get to level 54. Stats say I average like 750 points a match. But its common to get like 1100. More like 400 on the low end to 1200 on the high end for full matches.

But there have been a number of "binge" days since at least for the next couple weeks I got nothing to do but burn time. Totally in the middle of things.

It must suck having to face people accusing you of boosting when you earned it legitimately. I guess other people boosting seems to have affected you too. But anyway, being that level is quite impressive.

Upvote 0
2dfrog;n2301638 said:
Requirements are too high, thus the boosting. Cosmetic items at such high XP levels is silly.

2dfrog is correct. IF the requirements were not so outrageously high to begin with, players might not have tried to boost their XP. There are over 20,000 XP needed from one level to the next, in higher levels. THAT is insane! Sorry, boosted XP are cosmetic and harmless. IF you are accused of boosting, and did not, you know the truth.

Upvote 0