• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are Flamethrowers Overpowered in Game?

PewDiePie

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 17, 2017
Hello my friends :rolleyes:

What did you do for experience with the Flamethrower?

I think this weapon is really one of the best in the game! Every enemy position is overrun in a short time!

Unfortunately the ammunition is very fast. This is the only disadvantage.. .

The flamethrower has a maximum range of 30 meters in the game, and when you fire it you light up your location like a Christmas tree. Yeah, it can destroy people in close quarters but just like RS1 it can pretty easily be put in check by players that actually have decent map awareness.

I don't know If I would call it the best weapon in the game. The RPG-7 has a much longer range and can shoot through walls, it also allows you to instantly get up to 7 kills in one shot if you shoot down a fully loaded huey.

Reactions: LiamFVJ
Upvote 0
problem come from both side
for NVA/VC side : people just don't want or don't know how to place traps and mine . leaving the way for US flamer rush in without problems
for the US side : the flame remain on ground after fire hardly do any damage to people (many time i see flame guy just run right though the left over flame without any problem)

so if tripwire make flame remain on ground , body , objects ...etc do heavy damage to anyone near it then flamer must think twice before he light something up > problem solved

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They are NO where near as bad as RS1. I would prefer if there where fewer of the things and more map dependent than not. But they are context weapons. In some places they are pretty darn good. Most places they are not. I hate them most as I get team killed by the thing way to often. But generally speaking over a whole match I will get more kills with rifle and grenades than with the flamer. I certainly die more. Just with some glorious moments of destruction. But I sure would NOT miss if they went away. I would prefer an extra M79 on the team than an extra flamer spot. Another context weapon but generally more useful.

Upvote 0
I think the range is probably fine - just make the guys slow as hell so we can avoid the über-flamer super-athletes running around behind enemy lines burning everything.

They are carrying a huge massive load on their backs. Make their speed walk-only, it should sort things out. And only one flamer per match, so only used when necessary to clear out bunkers and tunnels.

Upvote 0
Arisaka99;n2301200 said:
I would say the flamethrower itself is fine in terms of range and damage. I just think that the number should be much more limited, flamethrowers were REALLY uncommon during Vietnam.

I'd like to see source on that. I haven't seen any numbers about how many flamethrowers were there, but what I've read about the combat experiences of US soldiers in Vietnam, flamethrowers were very common sight when G.I.s had to deal with Viet Cong/NVA entrenched positions and villages settled by the hostile forces.

Upvote 0
Marsalkka Mahtimeisseli;n2301216 said:
I'd like to see source on that. I haven't seen any numbers about how many flamethrowers were there, but what I've read about the combat experiences of US soldiers in Vietnam, flamethrowers were very common sight when G.I.s had to deal with Viet Cong/NVA entrenched positions and villages settled by the hostile forces.

The problem is, those situations were nothing like anything in the game. They were pretty much used to get rid of stragglers and huts, and mostly mounted on vehicles anyway.

Upvote 0