• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lockdown ruins the pacing of the game

Smooth Operator

Jul 7, 2017
Before someone points out that it is a server setting, I am aware of that, but it is on by default on all official servers and some community ones.

So what's my problem with lockdown?
Lockdown forces enemies to rush the objectives, instead of slowly gaining control over the map. I have seen instances where a match ended with both sides having 400 tickets. Now sure, maybe the attacking team didn't have it in the to win the round, but for god's sake let them play out the round at least. And yes, people not going into the objective area is an issue, but forcing them to do so is not the solution either. If the teams are well balanced, it can take some time for attackers to gain a foothold within an objective area, especially in notoriously difficult points to attack (think C on Hue City). Stalling the attackers and whittling them down is what a good defensive team does. Just because you can stall the attackers for a while doesn't mean you should get a win for it. Winning in such a manner feels cheap, and if anything causes stacking to become even more of an issue.

Positive things about lockdown?
You don't have to wait for the last attack to die when their tickets are depleted, as usually the game ends well before then. That's all I've got.

Thoughts & opinions on this?

Smooth Operator;n2300040 said:
And yes, people not going into the objective area is an issue, but forcing them to do so is not the solution either.

It's the only solution. Even with lockdown, many would rather snipe from a roof or hilltop just to rack up kills.

If anything, there needs to be more incentive to play the objectives. I think they could remove kills from the scoreboard and only show them on the individual end-of-round stats screen. Match score is much more important but I don't think that's what most people are looking at first. Of course if your kills are in an objective and you're with your squad you're going to get 4-5x the points, but some haven't got the memo yet. If they introduce new game modes as intended I hope they will find new ways to discourage RDM in favor of helping your team win.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Beskar Mando;n2265204 said:
Assuming the game modes is going to be the same, and the use of Objective Actors is also the same. I have something to gripe about.
Don't know if this was just overlooked in RO2's development or what? Still, for some reason, Lockdown times are editable for each instance of an objective actor. However, they are solely referenced inside that class and have no effect whatsoever on the actual game. It also appears that the ROObjective.uc is recycled from RO1 (That's not a bad thing at all, I'd probably do the same, considering they work basically the same way, but it's annoying that they are still editable, despite not doing anything).
The only problem is the fact that Lockdown initiation time and the duration of the Lockdown are hardwired to the GameInfo class which is a major pain in the ***. I do realize Lockdown can be initiated via no reinforcements left, etc. But it presents a massive problem to some custom maps. It's mainly been noticed on TE-Ogledow on BloodBath's servers, it's a great map but it's severely hindered by the fact that Lockdown automatically happens. Would it be possible to change this back and define/calculate Objective Lockdowns in the ROObjective, and allow it to be editable?
I complained about this almost a year ago. Lockdowns should be done a cap by cap basis and not just one set value.

Reactions: Smooth Operator
Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't really like the current implementation of lockdown in RS2. It seemed to be in RO2/RS that when lockdown occured it was because one team were doing really, really badly, and it was better to get it over with than just continue the hopeless battle. I'm not sure what's different in RS2, it just seems to hit lockdown far too often.

Several times I've tried to encourage teammates to pull back and let the enemy have an objective, just to continue playing the round, but we all know trying to coordinate people is like trying to herd cats so it rarely happens...

I have played on the 40-1 servers who have lockdown disabled, and the result was that rounds ends on one or both teams out of tickets, which I actually think is a fun way to end, but it does make rounds very very long. And sometimes no lockdown can be frustrating for a team, especially the attacking side.

Upvote 0
I think lockdown needs to not result in a defending win until the all the other team is killed. if the attacking team is not actively capping the point there should be no more re-spawns for either team until one team either kills all members in the cap, or the point is capped, restarting the game. this would force camping defenders to attack the point if outside and camping defenders to get in the point (otherwise the game ends immediately once the last guy in point dies)

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2300639 said:
Which gets real boring when you have to spend 10 minutes hunting down the last guy.

You missed my point. Say the attackers start with 400 reinforcements. When they get to burning up 200 or something like that, then lockdown comes into effect. So it isnt based on time.

PM me you postal address and I will send you on of those fidget spinners.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Smooth Operator;n2300096 said:
doubling the kill reward while in the cap zone

It actually can triple it, +5 for what they call "offensive/defensive kill". That's 5 points each for you and/or your target being in the cap. Another +5 for protecting your SL, another +50 for capturing or even being on the point when you lose it, the +2 for assists & spotting...

Say again they need to emphasize points over kills. It's what XP is based on but we still need big, blinking numbers or something. Random kills outside the objectives aren't really worth much towards your score.

Upvote 0
AntleredCormorant;n2300677 said:
It actually can triple it, +5 for what they call "offensive/defensive kill". That's 5 points each for you and/or your target being in the cap. Another +5 for protecting your SL, another +50 for capturing or even being on the point when you lose it, the +2 for assists & spotting...

Say again they need to emphasize points over kills. It's what XP is based on but we still need big, blinking numbers or something. Random kills outside the objectives aren't really worth much towards your score.

I meant double the CURRENT values in order to encourage people to fight within the cap at least.

Reactions: AntleredCormorant
Upvote 0
Smooth Operator;n2300686 said:
I meant double the CURRENT values in order to encourage people to fight within the cap at least.

Wouldn't hurt. I think the end of round scoreboard could be more dramatic so that score and kills aren't side-by-side. More of a marquee with some other award categories like most enemies spotted or best FAC/fire support, most headshots, best EOD (# defused). Or look at the stats from round-to-round and display the best ones, so it varies if that's possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0