• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

claymores for pointmen?

If you want to make Scouts and Pointmen comparable, then give the Pointmen an offensive explosive like a grenade. Clearly the two teams play completely differently (which was designed into the maps). You have given Scouts a weapon they can use (a tripwire trap) when they're playing defensively, and VC always defends in TE (all maps have the Americans attacking and the VC defending). But then you give the Pointman a weapon they can not use and never use (a claymore) when they play offensively.

I have never seen anyone use the claymore simply because it doesn't fit with the American side (attacking) and it needs to be manually triggered. Who wants to sit around and wait for some guy to walk through a door so you can manually trigger this thing when enemies might be flanking you while you wait; it's much easier to just run around and shoot them directly instead of taking yourself out of the action for minutes to possibly get 1 kill. I have literally never seen anyone use the claymore outside of the beta / first week of the game. It just doesn't fit with the Pointman class at all.

You should give the claymore to a 'defensive' class like the Machine Gunner.

I play primarily as a Pointman w/ Squad Leader and this has been something that I have found pretty annoying about the class. The only reason I take the Pointman class is because of the 2 smoke grenades. The submachine gun is actually better in CQC because you can fire from the hip and the slower rate of fire (than m16/ak47 variants) means you can correct your fire without expending your ammunition.

As someone who plays almost exclusively as Pointman, please change it to anything else (like 1 WP or 1 frag).

Upvote 0
I really tried to get used to the claymores but I officially give up. They are generally clumsy to use but on an offensive class like the pointman they are just dead weight for me. I would like to see an option in the equipment selection menu to deactivate them. Also an option would be nice to make the folded stock as default. Because for me it's annoying when playing pointman that I have at every respawn to double click [3] for selecting the claymores and then dropping them. And then folding the stock of the M3. Every single spawn...

Upvote 0
If you could place them on top of cover without sticking your head up.

That would make them extremely useful.

As it stands if you try and stick it on cover you either spend too long to get it in place and lose your head. Or you do it too fast and it ends up facing the sky. And then you still get shot as you place it down.

Upvote 0
How about NOT having them disabled on death? It's super annoying that Sappers and Scouts can keep their traps upon death, but Pointmen and Combat Engineers have them disabled. But not despawned.

Also pressing the hotkey ('G' by default) to explode Claymores/C4 results in a 2-3 second animation. Which means choosing between having a gun out, and a timely use of the explosive. We shouldn't have to choose.

Upvote 0
Vance88;n2307551 said:
Also pressing the hotkey ('G' by default) to explode Claymores/C4 results in a 2-3 second animation. Which means choosing between having a gun out, and a timely use of the explosive. We shouldn't have to choose.
It should be possible to hold a pistol ready to fire in one hand and the clacker in the other hand.

Also the placement of the claymore is still very disappointing. You can pretty much forget about placing them at corners/doorways etc. without exposing yourself. The placement range is so small that you have your head over the claymore when you plant it.

I gave up on trying to make use of the claymores. I just throw them away when I spawn and nobody else picks them up. When I can't have an alternative like an offensive grenade then I would like to have the option to disable the claymore in the loadout options because as it is right now, they are just ballast.

Upvote 0
Truffleshuffle;n2307707 said:
I have been using claymores a lot and have never seen the white circle around it like you get with the trips wires and such with the vc.

Yes but I've seen how you use claymores. You place it down and sit there waiting for someone to run in fromt of it.

When you could just use a gun?

Place one and run off. If you have the clacker out you'll see the range. It's bigger than the tripwires.

Upvote 0
I would much rather have a grenade than the claymore. The claymore is only useful in a few limited situations, the one that sticks out the most to me is putting in on a staircase facing down. Most of the times I've tried to place claymores I got killed while doing so.

I also think you should be able to hold a pistol while holding the clacker, the only issue is detonating the claymore with left click while meaning to fire the pistol, you'd have to make it only respond to the grenade key (G by default).

Here is the information from FM 21-75 Appendix A on rigging up the M18A1 to use a tripwire:
  • Emplace and aim the mine to cover the desired kill zone.
  • Put an anchor stake (1) about 1 meter (3.3 ft) to the rear of the mine and attach the firing wire to it, leaving about 1.5 meters (5 ft) of slack. Do not insert the blasting cap into the mine at this time.
  • Unroll the firing wire to a point about 20 meters (66 ft) to either the left or right front of the mine. Put an anchor stake (2) at that point.
  • Attach a clothespin (or other improvised device) to stake (2) with its closed end pointing toward the kill zone. The clothespin can be tied or nailed to the stake.
  • Move across the kill zone and put in another stake (3).
  • Attach the trip wire to stake (3) and unroll the tripwire to stake (2).
  • Attach the end of the tripwire to a C-ration plastic spoon or some other nonconductor of electricity. Connect the tripwire and spoon before setting up the mine.
  • Prepare the firing wire at stake (2) for connection to the clothespin by cut- ting one strand of the firing wire and forming two bare wire loops that can fit over the ends of the clothespin. (Do that before setting up the mine.)
  • Slide the loops over the ends of the clothespin and tighten them to fit in the grooves of the clothespin.
  • Insert the tripwire spoon into the jaws of the clothespin. The tripwire should be about ankle-high and not too tight.
  • Unroll the firing wire to a site to the rear of the mine and put in another anchor stake (4).
  • Attach the firing wire to stake (4).
  • Move to the mine, insert the blasting cap into the detonating well, screw in the shipping-plug priming adapter, and recheck the aim.
  • Move to stake (4) to attach the firing wire to the power source.
  • Cut the shorting plug and dust cover from the end of the firing wire and remove about 2.54 cm (1 in) of insulation from each strand of the firing wire.
  • Twist the ends of the wires and attach them to a power source (BA 206 or BA 4386 battery or any other power source that produces at least 2 volts of electricity). The system is now ready.

Attachments

• photo19310.gif
    photo19310.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo19311.gif
    photo19311.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo19312.gif
    photo19312.gif
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2307747 said:
Yes but I've seen how you use claymores. You place it down and sit there waiting for someone to run in fromt of it.

When you could just use a gun?

Place one and run off. If you have the clacker out you'll see the range. It's bigger than the tripwires.

Thats how you use them. They are for holding down an area. I use them on objectives that I am either capping or defending. They are not really great at anyuthing else. you have to use them to defend an area.

Upvote 0
Truffleshuffle;n2312894 said:
Thats how you use them. They are for holding down an area. I use them on objectives that I am either capping or defending. They are not really great at anyuthing else. you have to use them to defend an area.

No it's not how to use them lol.

If you can use a gun in the same situation. Use the damn gun.

When you place claymores. You don't babysit it. You leave 1 or 2 down then detonate it when you know there's guys in front of it. You don't have to be looking there at all. You judge where the enemies are then detonate it without even looking at the area.

What's also fun is putting it on top of cover or around corners. Using it in an offensive role. It kills everything in it's way.

Upvote 0