• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game keeps forcing me to switch sides in between rounds

RafaelAndrade

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 22, 2017
Why can't the game allow me to remain with the team that I have picked? I have literally ZERO interest in playing NVA and would like very much to be able to remain in the US side after a round ends.

And yet the game keeps force-switching me to the reds and ends up making me click endlessly on the US side until (if at all) I manage to get into the team that I HAD ALREADY PICKED earlier.

What's the reasoning behind this annoying decision to try and force the player to play something he does not want to play?

It is a server setting. There are servers in which you only play one round and no side-swap afterwards.

I personally does like the swapping a lot. You get to experience the map from a different perspective. Not just in terms of the faction, but also as a attacker/defender. This puts things in perspective. You can see if the map is easier/harder on one side and you also get a better understanding of the map and the gameplay itself.

Upvote 0
I really don't know why you'd stick to only one side 100% of the time in the game. Maybe with the original RO2 since 99% of the gameplay, barring a couple weapon differences(which was largely negated by hero weapon unlocks) I can see it being more feasible trying to stick to Germans or Russians the whole time. But in RS1 and RS2 you're really missing out on a lot of interesting, and different, gameplay if you only want to play one faction the whole time.

Anyways, that being said and as already mentioned the 2-round "side swapping" format is a server option. Server owners can make the choice whether they want to run that format on their server or not. Personally I don't mind the format other than it means you're playing a map twice as long as you'd normally play it(though that really isn't a big deal considering there isn't a lot of map variety currently anyway).

Upvote 0
Cat_in_da_Hat;n2294696 said:
Hmm funny post. I think you guys missed (?) this guy's point. i think he wants to play one side for political reasons. Yay I took the bait !
War's over.

You got it.

I tried to play the Soviets exclusively in RO and RO2, I played the US almost exclusively in RS, and I want to play the US exclusively in RS2.

I really don't care about the other guys, except as receptacles for my bullets, so I really don't care about "getting to know the other side of the maps" or "missing out on 50% of the fun/mechanics/etc".

If StmRtm is correct, then I have my answer on how to accomplish this. Thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0
The simple answer for why we default the game to do a team swap is so that one team can attack and see how far they can get, then the other team can have a crack and see if they can do better. That way everyone gets to both attack and defend on each map. Server admins are free to disable the setting if they prefer, but the official servers will all be keeping it turned on.

Reactions: -Moody-
Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2294724 said:
The simple answer for why we default the game to do a team swap is so that one team can attack and see how far they can get, then the other team can have a crack and see if they can do better. That way everyone gets to both attack and defend on each map. Server admins are free to disable the setting if they prefer, but the official servers will all be keeping it turned on.

Yeah, thanks, but no thanks.

Not gonna be playing much on the official servers it seems, unless I can make the workaround one of the users posted here work for me.

Upvote 0
they said the reds alway propagranda and brainwashed peoples but it seem like US and the west are the ones did it better .
everyone want to be US soldiers , love "freedom and democracy" , love "ride of valkyrie , smell of napalm in the morning , get some get some , anyone who run is VC , Anyone who runs is a V.C.! Anyone who stands still... is a well-disciplined V.C.

Upvote 0
SeptemberSnow;n2294738 said:
they said the reds alway propagranda and brainwashed peoples but it seem like US and the west are the ones did it better .
everyone want to be US soldiers , love "freedom and democracy" , love "ride of valkyrie , smell of napalm in the morning , get some get some , anyone who run is VC , Anyone who runs is a V.C.! Anyone who stands still... is a well-disciplined V.C.
Considering the guy also said he virtually exclusively played Russians in RO2 I don't think it's just about "freedom and democracy."
And it's kind of funny you bring up "reds brainwashing people" since after the fall of Saigon a bunch of South Vietnamese were forced to go to "reeducation" camps. But I suppose that's neither here nor there.

I still don't think people should be trying to stick to just one faction the whole time in the game, but people will ultimately play the game how they want to play it.

Reactions: RafaelAndrade
Upvote 0
82nd2LTBigX;n2294727 said:
I think the truth is that if this feature didn't exist, everyone would always only want to be US troops and nobody would want to be NVA and the matches would always be lopsided.

I know that isn't true, one because there are many people who are diehard Russo weapon fanatics, and two because just playing one side only gets extremely dull in the end. That said I personally really like the auto switch feature, esp. since it's toggable by the server admins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jagdwyre;n2294746 said:
since after the fall of Saigon a bunch of South Vietnamese were forced to go to "reeducation" camps. .

may be you didn't know but after the fall of saigon . **** ton of south vietnam military personnel become criminal . you name it . they did it
from armed theft to heavily armed robber ,heavy armed rebel force , fake surrender and stealing military vehicles > escape to oversea . every vehicles from jeep to ****ing helicopter and even fighter jet

that why "reeducation" camps was born and im pretty sure even USA will do the same if they face a similar problem . hint :ww2 japanese-american concentration camps in US

one more thing : after i watch those favorite vietnam war movies scene (get some ,napalm ,ride of valkyrie,....)
even rising storm 2 vietnam video clips (trailer , gameplay , ...)
and read the english comments below . i feel like most of american and westerner just don't view anyone in their hostile countries as human being at all .

Last edited:
Upvote 0