• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

facepalm about vietnamese phrases and voices

steve2142;n2292311 said:
I'm assuming you speak fluent vietnamese then? And not to be rude but i'm sure they have hired professionals and other fluent speaking translators to deal with this issue.

No, they dont have hired professionals, because as Yoshi have said, Screen Actors Guild strike is not over yet, which is the main reason why they cant hire good or somewhat professional actors.

Upvote 0
NorthDumpling;n2292316 said:
No, they dont have hired professionals, because as Yoshi have said, Screen Actors Guild strike is not over yet, which is the main reason why they cant hire good or somewhat professional actors.

You know it may just be me but I don't know if vietnamese voice actors are part of that part of that particular voice acting Union.

Plus that strike is "supposed" to only be against certain publishers.

Upvote 0
Im struggling to pin down what you mean. Do you mean that the Vietnamese language is incorrect? That issue would have nothing to do with their acting skills (or lack thereof) and is more an issue that they are not using native vietnamese speakers (which I can't imagine - how many non-native vietnamese speakers are there just hanging around, really?.)

or are you saying that the language is correct but the voice acting isn't good?

Upvote 0
From what I heard from the last wave, most of the voice acting was correct, although I can tell one or two of the 3 voice actors were very bad at portraying the intensity. He literally sounded like he read off a paper in monotone with a forced Northern accent. If they can achieve the same intensity from RS1, then it'd be perfect. The devs have already announced that they will be working on improving the voice acting.

Upvote 0
trippedbywire;n2292480 said:
TBH, doesn't matter if they have perfect accents or are even speaking actual Vietnamese.

As long as it SOUNDS Vietnamese, and intensity level is correct for the situation, then we will be ok :D.

But... the intensity level was way off last beta wave.

I can understand why he is annoyed. Why record something which sounds like random gibberish if you can get it right?

Upvote 0
trippedbywire;n2292480 said:
TBH, doesn't matter if they have perfect accents or are even speaking actual Vietnamese.

As long as it SOUNDS Vietnamese, and intensity level is correct for the situation, then we will be ok :D.

But... the intensity level was way off last beta wave.

This is the reason why past Vietnam games could never have correct Vietnamese hahaha

Upvote 0
hekuball;n2292632 said:
why is this thread even continuing? there's a claim that the Vietnamese lines are terrible in some way with absolutely no explanation. Pointless.

There's virtually no emotion to their voices, it sounds like they got a random Vietnamese guy off the street and told him to read some lines, it sounds awful, anyone can hear this.

Upvote 0
Arisaka99;n2292701 said:
There's virtually no emotion to their voices, it sounds like they got a random Vietnamese guy off the street and told him to read some lines, it sounds awful, anyone can hear this.
It's the same with the american lines too.

If they don't change them I'm considering porting RS1's lines over.

Reactions: -Moody-
Upvote 0
Well, look at the sounds in Forgotten Hope 2. As this mod is made by volunteers, I don't think there were professionals doing the voices, but they still sound fantastic to me. In war there was no professional near each soldier talking for him. It would add to authenticity if you ask the community to contribute or just cast a few people. Today we can cooperate over the internet too, if someone can provide a good recording at the other end of the world. To me these "professionals" are overpaid or at least over-represented due to the advertising industry producing tons of useless video and audio pollution and taking lots of money for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nothing new TBH. Even EA, a multi billion $ company, did a very funny job in BC2: Vietnam - not even one of the native Vietnamese voice lines was correct or meaning something at all. And they stated they hired professionals. But as long as they sound like in the movies and correctly in the different situations - its ok for me.

Upvote 0