• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hitting your cover instead of what you see in the ironsights

foln

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2015
I figured out this most likely is not a bug but in fact something that was intended for further realism in the game.

To start off making it clear what I am talking about, here is a video that shows you the issue I am talking about: https://vid.me/Iw1j

While it might be realistic that I did hit the cover I was behind, and not the enemy I aimed at, this makes the general gameplay experience way way more frustrating.

What are your guys opinions about this? Is it worth it for the realism or is this a case where it just affects the gameplay too much?

NorthDumpling;n2290773 said:
Its not even a bug lol. Bullets come out of your barrel, not from your face. And by the way logically barrel is a little lower of a sight to your suprise.
Its good as is.
RO2/RS1 did not have this though and gameplay felt a lot more smooth without it.

In real life you are able to see whether your barrel is in front of the cover or whether it is above it. In this game it is not anywhere as easily possible as in real life. Of course this is something that is indeed realistic, but it really hurts the gameplay at the same time because it is pretty much impossible to control.

Upvote 0
nilsmoody;n2290784 said:
I can't say that. Because currently there is hardly a way to say if you'll hit the cover or your target.
I think it's pretty good as it is right now mechanic-wise. What would be nice is if there was a small UI indicator notifying you that your muzzle isn't clear of your cover, something small like making the tip of the weapon bracing icon(the white deployed MG icon) red.

Height over bore is a very real issue in the real world and people have shot the cover/dirt that was in front of them when they're not adjusting for it. However, in the real world it's often much easier to tell if your weapon's muzzle is over your cover than it currently is in RS2, so a UI indicator would be helpful.

Upvote 0
foln;n2290774 said:
In real life you are able to see whether your barrel is in front of the cover or whether it is above it. In this game it is not anywhere as easily possible as in real life.

Everyone loves shouting "muh realism" but they all forget this very crucial detail.

Like said above, if you want to add this mechanic you also need to add a way to tell if the barrel is obscured or not, because as is it's incredibly annoying and detracts from realism. After all, nobody would make this mistake in real life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RandomPerson78642;n2290833 said:
Like said above, if you want to add this mechanic you also need to add a way to tell if the barrel is obscured or not, because as is it's incredibly annoying and detracts from realism. After all, nobody would make this mistake in real life.
Yea this.
This whole feature could only work well in the heat of the gameplay if there was an indicator whether the barrel is covered or not, because right now, there is absolutely no way to tell whether it is or whether it is not.
The way it is right now it is a matter of luck.

If there was an indicator for it I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a bad feature after all.

(We already have an indicator for the "steadyness" thing, when you lean/place your gun on a wall or the ground for improved steadyness. What about just adding another indicator/icon next to that one?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What's in OP's video is appropriate. There's plenty of videos out there of idiots using their trucks as rests for their rifles and putting bullet holes into them on Youtube.

I do, however, share a bit of the sentiment. I've had the same problem happen to me repeatedly when using low walls and railings to shoot supported - Hue City is especially bad for this - it seems that most of the balcony railings around A and B suffer from this. It seems intuitive that with the rested icon, right up against a low wall, that your rifle would be rested on top of the wall, rather than pointed into it, but that's not the case in game.

Upvote 0
While I believe the system they've got is good, I do wish there was a bit more modularity when it comes to interacting with cover. I don't really want the old RO2/RS1 cover system back, but the fact that I'm able to crouch up to an object and my weapon doesn't go over the top when aiming is a little ludicrous. I shouldn't have to stand when in reality I'd life my rifle a couple inches and adjust my crouch.

Upvote 0
Thom430;n2291403 said:
I've noticed a bit of an issue as well with it, it seems that in RO2, your character automatically cleared his cover a little bit as part of the cover system. Some sort of barrel obstruction indicator or some tweaking to the system would be welcome indeed.

In RO2 the bullet didn't come out of the barrel. It came out of the sights.

Upvote 0