• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game Uses Incorrect 1982 Sights on M16A1 -- WRONG

Sadly I don't think we will see that unless they use some post process effect for the sight picture as we talked about earlier. So all they can do now I guess is make both apertures, long and short range, identical.

As for the sight picture now, I don't see any real difference from earlier, perhaps they added a tiny bit of blurr and less glare on the aperture, i.e. pretty much no change. So no bueno there as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK so there was a SLIGHT change in the M16A1 sights in 6.1.

But how do you NOT REALIZE the short and long range sights literally are exact same size?!?!

Short range in real life
short.jpg

Long range in real life
long.jpg

Short range in game
20170331213127_1.jpg

Long range AFTER CHANGES in game
20170331213129_1.jpg

What the game keeps on imitating are the two different sized peeps from the 1982 version of the M16A2
maxresdefault.jpg

STICK WITH THE CORRECT MODEL OF M16 FOR THESE SIGHTS BECAUSE HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU NEED TO SEE WHY IT'S THE WRONG MODEL.... thank you for taking the time to read this

Last edited:
Reactions: FR4NCH3K
Upvote 0
I don't like this new sight change in 6.1. It's almost as if they're purposefully disregarding all the information in this thread.

StmRtn;n2291203 said:
Why is this so important to you :rolleyes: ?.

Because it should be important to developers who have the mission statement of realism and being "gun nuts" yet have continuously messed things up in a way that doesn't really effect gameplay nor does it portray reality.

Reactions: exhausted
Upvote 0
Yes, it's like they considered the information but didn't understand it and therefore made a half-measure in the latest build.

Whatever happened to doing it right in as few attempts as possible? How much more can I break it down in pictures?

The solution is freaking easy AF: make both sights the size of the close range sight, and give the long range sight a slight zoom. And don't forget the L at the sight base.

StmRtn;n2291203 said:
Why is this so important to you :rolleyes: ?.

Because the in game sights are at least 10 years from the future. They were introduced with the rifle that replaced the M16A1 in service and these sights were never in Vietnam. It would be like making a flight simulator where the vintage plane has a modern cockpit. It's wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
exhausted;n2291212 said:
Yes, it's like they considered the information but didn't understand it and therefore made a half-measure in the latest build.

Whatever happened to doing it right in as few attempts as possible? How much more can I break it down in pictures?

The solution is freaking easy AF: make both sights the size of the close range sight, and give the long range sight a slight zoom. And don't forget the L at the sight base.

I'd actually be happier if they left it at the thickness of the long range sight rather than the current close range sight. Would be far nicer if it were a little more restricted.

Upvote 0
FR4NCH3K;n2291246 said:
I'd actually be happier if they left it at the thickness of the long range sight rather than the current close range sight. Would be far nicer if it were a little more restricted.

Right now the long range sight uses the wrong model because it's beveled in the back (real one is flat), lacks the 'L' and has a different size peep than the short range sight.

Whichever thickness they choose for both, they need to use the correct model for the long range sights.

Upvote 0
exhausted;n2291291 said:
Right now the long range sight uses the wrong model because it's beveled in the back (real one is flat), lacks the 'L' and has a different size peep than the short range sight.

Whichever thickness they choose for both, they need to use the correct model for the long range sights.

I know it has the rear bevel, but the close range sight is so large that there isn't any room for a bevel. Take off the bevel and use a hole the size of the long range sight and you're good to go.

Upvote 0
exhausted;n2293142 said:
You're still using the wrong sights on the M16A1. It hasn't really gotten better, even though Yoshiro acknowledged it. Why don't we actually try to fix the model instead of hoping people will get used to the weapon as it never existed?

The obvious reason is that they then will be forced to redo how all the peep sights are rendered ingame (just as Ive been advocating all along) , otherwise all the peep sighted weapons would become useless.

The ingame M16's peep sight, the largest ingame, is already too obstructive to your FOV compared to the real thing.

Upvote 0
Unus Offa said:
The obvious reason is that they then will be forced to redo how all the peep sights are rendered ingame (just as Ive been advocating all along) , otherwise all the peep sighted weapons would become useless.

The ingame M16's peep sight, the largest ingame, is already too obstructive to your FOV compared to the real thing.

I still disagree with you, except for the 200m/400m sight.
Probably has one of the better sight pictures, at least for me. New sight model? Don't care either way, from dev. perspective it's doable, but I'd assume there are other priorities than fixing a sight's aesthetics. Redoing the way that sights are render like you suggested? **** that, no way in hell. A mod that redoes the textures & edits the material with an opacity layer w/ a var. referenced in the code when in iron sights? That's a possibility, I doubt AMG will do this, which means it'd be a mod.

Upvote 0