• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game Uses Incorrect 1982 Sights on M16A1 -- WRONG

@Unus Offa, Unus Nex

thinning out the rims are a separate issue entirely. America got out of Vietnam in April, 1975, and I'm lobbying the devs to make a simple change so they don't use weapon sights that came out in 1982. I agree with you that the rear peep sights have a completely unrealistic and unsympathetically useless feel to them right now, despite what Beskar Mando says. But the fact is that the 3D model the devs chose is historically wrong, asynchronistic, is so simple to fix, and it is distinct from your concern.

I have a Colt M16A1 upper receiver literally 3 feet away from me. I've trained with the M16, firing hundreds of rounds at ranges from 20-500 yards, stationary and on the move, and I will say the sight picture is beyond f---'d up as is.

Reactions: Unus Offa Unus Nex
Upvote 0
There's actually something I'm unsure of here. Were M16A1 sights really zeroed at 250 and 400 meters? I know beginning on the A2 sights it's usually zeroed at 200 yards and 300 yards(at least for the A2-style AR I have), so the zero distances on the M16A1 in RS2 have seemed pretty strange to me.

Upvote 0
exhausted;n2293937 said:
@Unus Offa, Unus Nex

thinning out the rims are a separate issue entirely. America got out of Vietnam in April, 1975, and I'm lobbying the devs to make a simple change so they don't use weapon sights that came out in 1982. I agree with you that the rear peep sights have a completely unrealistic and unsympathetically useless feel to them right now, despite what Beskar Mando says. But the fact is that the 3D model the devs chose is historically wrong, asynchronistic, is so simple to fix, and it is distinct from your concern.

I have a Colt M16A1 upper receiver literally 3 feet away from me. I've trained with the M16, firing hundreds of rounds at ranges from 20-500 yards, stationary and on the move, and I will say the sight picture is beyond f---'d up as is.

The problem is that these two issues are intrinsically connected because the only way to fix the issue with the incorrect different sized rear sights without seriously hurting gameplay would be to:

a) Make both rear sights, S & L, the same large size as the current short range sight, infact even larger if we want a correct sight picture.

or

b) Completely redo how peep sights are rendered in aimed view, i.e. an animation that opens up the pinhole as you enter aimed view. That way you can have completely correct looking sights at all times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0