• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is this new game or expention like RS?

Looks like it is still using UE3. I think this is different from In Country, which was going to UE4 and to become standalone. As it was sparsely updated I think it may be dead. That is too bad, because no doubt this will be like Rising Storm and RO2 with different weapons. Meaning lots of grinding, loss of unlocks when quitting before the hour long match concludes, the horrible suppression system, and constant nauseating black & white screens with washed out wooing sounds every time someone dies, a grenade goes off, or someone farts on the other end of the map.

Maybe a Steam sale at deep discount will make me get it. Or maybe they will go back to RO1's roots and dump the fluff, but I highly doubt that. KF was a success due to its mainstream grind nature and multitude of immersion breaking, out of place skins to collect. That clearly influenced TWI when making RO2.

Upvote 0
Yeah looks like the same engine as Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm. My question is, why? UE4 would be much better.

they said this with killingfloor 2, they can't go to ue4 due to all their assests only works on their ue3 and that it's just easier to being the eu4 features to their eu3 such as dynamic lighting and such. well don't quote me on that but it was on the words around that.

Upvote 0
Can I get official answer from devs if this is new game or another expention like RS?

Yeah looks like the same engine as Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm. My question is, why? UE4 would be much better.

Because they can probably use all RO2/RS systems, improve them, and therfore it makes game development a lot faster, and less expensive. UE3 is super fine, no need for newer engine.

Upvote 0
They are STILL working on In Country Vietnam on Unreal4! They are a small team and maybe slack on PR work. I can't wait for it to be released. They are going to make it a bit harder then RO2 and RS, a but more like RO1. THANK GOD. I have been playing Project Reality the past wk or so and man I miss the slower pace and team work of RO1. Hopefully if RO3 comes out the don't go back totally to RO1 style a a bit. Kinda tired of the twitch shooting of RO2. This RS2 will be the same gameplay of RO2, just diff weapons. I will give it a try. Might be like Insurgency a bit but with the fast sprinting of RO2. We will see.

Upvote 0
Can I get official answer from devs if this is new game or another expention like RS?

Because they can probably use all RO2/RS systems, improve them, and therfore it makes game development a lot faster, and less expensive. UE3 is super fine, no need for newer engine.

There is a need for a newer engine. UE4 is far superior and is constantly updated. UE3 still works for Killing Floor 2 because it is a game on a much smaller scale. Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 already pushed UE3 to its limits. Staying with UE3 for this game is just lazy in my opinion. Of course I know why they would stick with UE3 but that doesn't mean they actually should. Yes UE4 would be more work but the game would be that much better. If this game is just a reskin of RS with helicopter airstrikes I will be disappointed; this first trailer gives me this impression so far. Vietnam has a ton of potential. A Vietnam game deserves all elements.. sea, air, and land. Imagine a game which plays like Apocalypse Now!

Like easton said, I'm still hoping In Country Vietnam can deliver. I'm interested in what they can bring to the table. Last thing we need is for either development team to create a half baked Vietnam experience, what a disappointment that would be.

Of course I'm not writing this game of just yet but I hope we can get news on what new features will be added to the series.

Upvote 0
If they have to spent years to make everything work in newer engine what they could do in existing engine they know much better, why would they waste their time?

Just because they have been working on improving the engine they use doesn't mean they have to stick with it for an eternity. As I've said before, Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 basically pushed the engine to its limit and I doubt too much can be improved. Every other project out there has been porting to UE4 for a reason, it is a vastly superior engine. We've also seen how ridiculously slow content gets pushed out on the current engine.

And I agree with you, if you want to push out your game fast and make a quick buck stick with UE3! But if you want to make a better game UE4 is the answer.

Upvote 0
Look what TWI have done with KF2 UE3 can still bring it.

My last point here is that KF2 is completely different type of game. It has what, 6 players on one small map. Meanwhile Red Orchestra/ Rising Storm is 64 players on a much larger map with vehicles. Improvements to the engine which apply to KF2 may not necessarily apply to games like these. In KF2 Tripwire improved UE3 with better graphics, lighting, and gore. But can it support larger maps, more players, and more vehicles? That is what is more important here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0