• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server How do we enable ROTV?

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/UTV_(UT2004)

edit:
just tryed it the old way, like written in the wiki above.

thats what commandline is posting then:
Code:
D:\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra\System>ucc utv
Executing Class UTV2004.UTVCommandlet
UTV2004 1.00b21.3339 starting up...
------------------------------
This version of UTV2004.DLL was compiled for running from
an installation with patch version 3339.
Initializing actor property list
Ini file UTV.ini
Defaulting to false
The proxy knows about 1 extra HTTP Download redirects
URL: [URL]http://uz.unrealadmin.org/[/URL] COMPRESSION=1
Loading RedORchestra Clientside Mod
Loaded UTV2004C with guid: B14A7E4F46E84179DE9B7796C7154045
Preloading GUI2K4..
Loaded GUI with guid: 97A42BC44F50F49B4A61FCA00662E8F3
Uplink: Will not connect to Tripwire masterserver, but will reply to queries
Defaulting to false
Starting server connect
Server sends: CHALLENGE VER=3339 CHALLENGE=-1047346675 STATS=0 SEC=1 GZ=83
Adding dlmanager: IpDrv.HTTPDownload
Dlmanager params: [URL]http://uz.unrealadmin.org/[/URL]
Dlmanager params: 
Adding dlmanager: Engine.ChannelDownload
Dlmanager params: Enabled
Server sends: WELCOME LEVEL=ro-arad GAME=ROEngine.ROTeamGame LONE=0
None utv server, waiting for primary client
Restarting
Unloading
Socket shut down

if i try to connect as primaryclient i get no more than the connection screen.

so some help is really appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Admins,

I'll try and have a tutorial for this up within a couple of days. The patch was actually released earlier than we expected, so we didn't have all the documentation ready for things like this. The one that aceto has linked has most of the info you need, but I found that it is a bit unclear in areas about how things actually work. I'm going to write something up that should be more clear. One thing to know though is, you don't need to download any additional files like that unrealadmin page says. All the files you need are in the server install. Also, just so you are aware, you don't actually "enable" ROTV. ROTV is a separate server process that you run that hosts spectators for another game server. Anyway, more information will be forthcoming.

Upvote 0
Ok, here's my first pass at this. As has already been mentioned, the tutorial here does a pretty good job at describing what all the ini settings mean so I won't go into all of them :http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/UTV_(UT2004)

A few things to note about the tutorial linked above. First off, you don't need to download any extra files like the tutorial says (thats only for UT2004). All the files you need should be distributed with the RO server installs. Now lets give a brief overview of how this works:

1) Somewhere in the world there is a regular game server you want to spectate (we'll call this the "Target Server")
2) You start a special "ROTV Server" which will connect as a spectator to the "Target Server"
3) A "Primary Client" which is essentially the cameraman/shoutcaster will connect to the "ROTV Server"
4) The "ROTV Server" will connect to the "Target Server". The "Primary Client" will connect as a proxy to the "Target Server" through the "ROTV Server". In other words, when the "Primary Client" connects to the "ROTV Server", the "ROTV Server" forwards that connection on to the "Target Server".
5) Once the "Primary Client" is connected, "Spectators" can connect to the "ROTV Server". Lots and lots of spectators can connect. I don't know what the limit is, but it is much higher than the number of poeple that can connect to a regular game server, as the ROTV server is broadcasting only.

Now lets move on to setting up your server. First off you need to have a dedicated server install of RO on a machine. Please note, I don't believe you can run the ROTV server off of the same set of files as a running regular game server (at least it didn't work in my testing, there is probably a way to do it specifying different ini files, etc, but using different installs worked for me). So you'll want a separate install of the dedicated server files for your ROTV server.

Then you need to set up your utv.ini file. I'll show you an example of mine, and then try and explain the key items. Here is my utv.ini that I used in my testing:

Code:
[UTV2004]
ServerAddress=63.211.111.83
ServerPort=7757
ListenPort=7780
RemoteControlPort=7782
Delay=1
DelayPrimaryVoice=1
JoinPassword=
PrimaryPassword=changeme
VipPassword=andmetoo
NormalPassword=
MaxClients=50
SeeAll=0
NoPrimary=0
ClockInterval=0
TickRate=30
FlushThreshold=5000
IgnoreChainedChat=0
DLManagerCount=0
DLManager0=http://uz2.gameservers.net/ut2004/
DLManager1=http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d97-rwe/ut/

[MasterServer]
ConnectToMaster=true
ReplyToQueries=true
ServerName=Ramms UTV Server
AdminName=Mr.Admin
[email protected]

Ok so let me explain the important parts of this. Where it says "ServerAddress=63.211.111.83" above, that is the IP address of the "Target Server" that I want to watch a match on. That is not the IP address of the ROTV server, but rather the actual server where the game will be played. "ServerPort=7757" is the port of the "Target Server" mentioned above (not the ROTV server). "ListenPort=7780" IS the port of the ROTV Server (the server the "Primary Client" and "Spectators" will connect to). Make sure that port is open on your firewall in addition to all the regular RO server ports. "JoinPassword=", this is blank in my example. You would add a "JoinPassword" if the "Target Server" has a password. "PrimaryPassword=changeme", this is the password required to log on to the "ROTV Server" as the "Primary Client" (cameraman/shoutcaster).

Ok so now that your utv.ini file is is set up, you need to launch the ROTV server. You do this by launching UCC with the "UTV" commandline parameter. Here is an example:

Code:
ucc utv

I use a batch file on windows, on linux you would do whatever linux poeple do to pass commandline parameters to programs ;)

So now that the ROTV server is up and running, you need to connect the Primary Client. In my example, my ROTV server was at IP addess 63.211.111.82 (remember this is NOT the game server, it had the IP addess of 63.211.111.83). To connect as the primary client, you need to open up RO and type a command in the console. In my example, here is the command I used:

Code:
open 63.211.111.82:7780?password=changeme

It might take a minute to fully connect, as the primary client connects to the ROTV server and is then forwarded on to the game server. At this point, your primary client should be connected to the ROTV server, as well as spectating the Target Server. Fly around, switch veiwpoints, type to your spectators, etc. Use your VOIP to broadcast commentary to the spectators. Only ROTV spectators can hear what you say or type, so give some cool play by play :)

Now you will want to have spectators connect to the ROTV server. In the example above, here is how spectators connect to the ROTV server:

Code:
open 63.211.111.82:7780

If the ROTV servers show up in the server browser list then a user could just click on it in the list and join just like any other server. I was unable to test this as it would have taken too much firewall wrangling. I'm unaware if the UTV servers showed up in the server list in UT2004, but if it worked there, it should work here as well.

That should about cover it. Specators will now see what the Primary Client sees, and hear what the Primary Client says over VOIP. It sounds a lot more complex to set up than it really is. Once you set it up once, its a breeze any time after that. Let me know if you all have any questions about this.

Upvote 0
What ahppen if mroe than One client (the primary one) connect to the Rotv Server, will it crash ? Could be cool if everyone would be able to move as a spectator.

there was a possibility to let the spectator fly around free too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and i tryed it with this tutorial, but still get it not working.
i downloaded the hlds_updatetool and with this a dedicated server.
i changed the utv.ini with our servers ip and a open port of my router.

all i got then was this:
Code:
D:\roost\system>ucc utv
Executing Class UTV2004.UTVCommandlet
UTV2004 1.00b21.3339 starting up...
This version of UTV2004.DLL was compiled for running from
an installation with patch version 3339.
Ini file UTV.ini
Defaulting to false
The proxy knows about 0 extra HTTP Download redirects
Loading RedORchestra Clientside Mod
Loaded UTV2004C with guid: B14A7E4F46E84179DE9B7796C7154045
Preloading GUI2K4..
Loaded GUI with guid: 97A42BC44F50F49B4A61FCA00662E8F3
Uplink: ConnectToMaster is true, will connect to Tripwire masterserver
Defaulting to false
Uplink: Resolved master server 207.135.144.10 to: 207.135.144.10
Starting server connect
Server sends: CHALLENGE VER=3339 CHALLENGE=1261882994 STATS=0 SEC=1 GZ=39
Uplink: Connection to 207.135.144.10 established.
Dlmanager params: 
Server sends: WELCOME LEVEL=RO-Leningrad_Beta1 GAME=ROEngine.ROTeamGame LONE=0
None utv server, waiting for primary client
Restarting
Unloading
Socket shut down
Close TcpipConnection 89.106.69.15:7757 11/07/06 18:15:12
Socket shut down
Defaulting to false
Uplink: Resolved master server 207.135.144.10 to: 207.135.144.10
Uplink: Connection to 207.135.144.10 established.

with primary client i get a connecting screen, but nothing happens, except a connection failed after some minutes

anyone else get it working and could perhaps help?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
okay, found my problem... i had another ip-adress in use after reinstall, so portforwarding was not working.

fine, so it works now :)

for roaming with the spectators try to set

Code:
SeeAll=1

perhaps it works as it has done in mod.

edit:
i made some tests ans seeall=1 seems not to make a difference. you still are only able to see, what the primaryclient is "broadcasting".

but in this test we had a strange problem of diconnects while joining the live-utv-server as normal clients:

Code:
New client: [-project.aceto-] 88.72.39.55 0
Got primary client
New connection opened 1/50
Starting server connect
Server sends: CHALLENGE VER=3339 CHALLENGE=1478476465 STATS=0 SEC=1 GZ=84
Dlmanager params: [URL="http://89.106.69.15/~hlds/maps/"]xxx[/URL]
Server sends: WELCOME LEVEL=RO-Odessa GAME=ROEngine.ROTeamGame LONE=0
Client sends: PETE PKT=1 PKG=1
Client sends: JOIN
Primary client ready
Package UTV2004C has 372 names and 352 objects
Found utvReplication with object id 82450
Found utvReplication.GetFromServer with id 57
Found utvReplication.GetTarget with id 58
Found utvReplication.SendTarget with id 59
Found utvReplication.SendToServer with id 60
We have 73501 names and 82802 objects loaded
Joining server
Client sends: OPENVOICE 1
Opening voice channel 1
Close TcpipConnection 88.72.39.55:62407 11/08/06 11:12:59
serveraddress= 89.106.69.15
serverport= 7757
listenport= 10000
delay= 5.000000
maxclients= 50
primarypassword= changeme
normalpassword=
vippassword=
joinpassword=
New connection: 276037704
New client: -Nw'EscAz 88.160.16.33 0
Got normal client
New connection opened 2/50
New connection: 276069208
Old client detected! Packet LevelSpecificSMT.utx Our version 2 Client version 1
New client ready
Close TcpipConnection 88.160.16.33:4210 11/08/06 11:15:39
Close TcpipConnection 88.160.16.33:3272 11/08/06 11:16:06

or:

Code:
New connection: 164390976
New client: -Nw'EscAz 88.160.16.33 0
Got normal client
New connection opened 2/50
New connection: 164431560
Old client detected! Packet MilitaryAxisSMT.utx Our version 2 Client version 1
New client ready
Close TcpipConnection 88.160.16.33:3272 11/08/06 11:08:35
Close TcpipConnection 88.160.16.33:2904 11/08/06 11:09:02

escaz said he was able to connect in his tests yesterday.
in my test as example twenty3 was able to connect to my server.
any idea for this ramm? :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Essencially you want 2 servers, your actual gameplay server for players and another server running TV for viewer to join.

Where I start to get lost is w/ the "Primary Client". After I have the first 2 servers running (RO game server and TV server), do I also need for me setup a client machine to connect to the ROTV server before any other people can join the ROTV server and spectate, or can I just run those 2 servers and let anyone connect to that ROTV server right away ?

Upvote 0