• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Map Naming Conventions

I was about to create a thread with this exact thread name, but my questions are actually different.

So the conventions appears to be:

KF-<mapname>

It was established above that name should not contain spaces. What about underscores? what's better:
KF-HauntedMansion
or
KF-Haunted_Mansion

Also, should you represent the version number in the name, so that one person doesn't host a pre-release version of KF-HauntedMansion, and then a client joins with the final version of KF-HauntedMansion?
If so, would you do things like
KF-HauntedMansion
KF-HauntedMansionFINAL

or
KF-HauntedMansionBeta2
KF-HauntedMansion (this is the final one)

or, some combination of the two? Any underscores or anything?

I could have just looked at other people's examples but other people might be wrong too, since it isn't really well discussed. Does anyone know what is best community practise, or provide me an appropriate link?

Upvote 0
Well look at the RedOrchestra.pl map repository http://www.red.orchestra.pl/plug.php?e=maps&game=redorchestra&mgame=RO&mtype=

where we have automatic scripts to put any version of maps in order and the one map entry - it is because RO Mappers' Community obey some very simple rules in map-naming. First of all prefix for what game the map is created - in our case RO- for base Red Orchestra, MN- for Mare Nostrum mod and DH- for Darkest Hour, then the map name without spaces (Linux problem) but can use underscores instead (the name without any national diacritic signs), and then simple and not case sensitive marks about stage of development of the map - betaX, bX, vX (for "version" instead of beta), prefinal, final (could be just plain map name without final mark - so it both ways stand for end of future map's development) - they could be just "glued" to map name but it is not well readable, so better way is to merge them with the name by underscore or dash. So there are only a few examples how you should name your maps for better classification:

KF-YourMapName-beta1.rom
KF-your_map_name_b1.rom
KF-your_map_name_v2.rom
KF-Your_map_name-prefinal.rom
KF-yourmapname_Final.rom (or just the same - KF-yourmapname.rom)

Last edited:
Upvote 0