• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server browser borked

Major_Day

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
Up until Tues. my server was always visible in the browser,nothing on the server was changed but now it no longer appears in the browser.
Before Tuesday there were approx. 21 servers showing in the browser,but since then there have only been 13
Both myself and my GSP have been struggling hard to try and fix the problem,checking and double checking ports,re-installing the server 3 times,changing ip address', moving the server to another machine,but nothing we do makes any difference the server just will not show in the browser.
We believe it may have something to do with Gamespy shutting up shop.
If this IS the case, will Tripwire be able to do something that can help us make our server visible again?:mad:

Ditto, I was online night of July 15. All servers disappeared, then half appeared and hour later.
I looked in ~/Steam/logs/connection_log_7857.txt and see a bunch of these...

[2014-07-17 01:14:26] Log session started

[2014-07-17 01:14:26] [0,0] SetSteamID( [A:1:0:0] )
[2014-07-17 01:14:26] [1,1] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelLow, 208.111.133.84:27017, TCP)

[2014-07-17 01:16:33] [1,1] ConnectFailed('No Connection') (208.111.133.84:27017, TCP)
[2014-07-17 01:16:33] [0,0] StartAutoReconnect() will start in 3 seconds
[2014-07-17 01:16:36] [1,3] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelMedium, 69.28.145.172:27018, TCP)

[2014-07-17 01:18:44] [1,3] ConnectFailed('No Connection') (69.28.145.172:27018, TCP)
[2014-07-17 01:18:44] [0,0] StartAutoReconnect() will start in 7 seconds
[2014-07-17 01:18:51] [1,6] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelMedium, 72.165.61.176:27018, UDP)

[2014-07-17 01:18:56] [1,6] ConnectFailed('Connection Failed') (72.165.61.176:27018, UDP)
[2014-07-17 01:18:56] [0,0] StartAutoReconnect() will start in 2 seconds
[2014-07-17 01:18:58] [1,9] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelMedium, 208.111.133.85:27018, TCP)

-----------------------
I did a packet capture and only see my outgoing [SYN] packet, there is no [SYN,ACK] that should be coming back from their end. There is absolutely no server to server communication on any of these addresses. When I run a traceroute, from several different source networks, to several of the addresses listed in this log almost in every case the trace dies in a network belonging to Limelight Networks. I assume this is one of their large internet providers or hosting company.

Someone probably dorked up some routing at Limelight or else somebody forgot to pay a bill :)

Not sure who owns the servers to open a trouble ticket. I opened a ticket with Steam support and have had no response, but wonder if tripwire is really the ones we need to contact. Has anyone seen an official acknowlegement?

when I watch the inital login for my servers account on steam, that is successful. Only the traffic heading to the server that registers my servers updated information.

Upvote 0
Major_Day, after reading your comments about Gamespy, I re-did a whois on the ips in my connectin log.

Limelight was updated as the org name on July 14 the day before all those addresses died. They own the net range for a while. I get the servers were shutdown and transferred back to them. How does gamespy get related to steam and valve.

Hope this gets straightened out with someone. I wonder what the other servers getting advertised are using to get advertised.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The same problem was affecting many Darkest Hour servers too. I only heard about the problem today, but it's been there since mid-week apparently.

I tried the usual stuff, then we contacted our server provider and they did something pretty quickly and it fixed the problem. Several other DH servers have obviously sorted things out too.

We use NFO Servers and have always been very impressed by them. Would recommend to anyone.

I don't know what they did but I've asked if they will share. If they do, I'll post it. I'm sure the cause will be the same as for you. Sorry I can't provide an answer - at least yet - but worth knowing it can and will be solved.

I don't think it's anything to do with GameSpy. Pretty sure that's just legacy stuff and only concerned with sending stats and such like, not the server browser.

Upvote 0
I don't really think it has anything to do with GameSpy.

As far as I know, TWI hosts their own Master Server in house. The closing of Gamespy means that only their server list wont be distributed anymore and I'm not even sure that KF communicates with Gamespy anymore.

I've had a similar issue that flared up on Wednesday effecting all my Killing Floor servers in a similar way. For some reason none of them are reporting on the master server anymore, but I can still see them through the favorites tab and even GameTracker still tracks them.

Others have had a similar issue.

Upvote 0
I don't know if its anything to do with Gamespy or not,but RO servers certainly link to Gamespy;

From the .ini

[IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
DoUplink=True
UplinkToGamespy=True

[IpDrv.UdpGamespyQuery]
MinNetVer=1087
OldQueryPortNumber=7767
bRestartServerOnPortSwap=True
bDebugPortSwaps=True

And this from the server log:

Log: Resolved master0.gamespy.com (69.10.30.248)
ScriptLog: UdpGameSpyUplink: Master Server is master0.gamespy.com:27900
ScriptLog: UdpGameSpyUplink: Port 7768 successfully bound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The same problem was affecting many Darkest Hour servers too. I only heard about the problem today, but it's been there since mid-week apparently.

I tried the usual stuff, then we contacted our server provider and they did something pretty quickly and it fixed the problem. Several other DH servers have obviously sorted things out too.

We use NFO Servers and have always been very impressed by them. Would recommend to anyone.

I don't know what they did but I've asked if they will share. If they do, I'll post it. I'm sure the cause will be the same as for you. Sorry I can't provide an answer - at least yet - but worth knowing it can and will be solved.

I don't think it's anything to do with GameSpy. Pretty sure that's just legacy stuff and only concerned with sending stats and such like, not the server browser.

Thanks Matt, if you can provide a fix that would be great.

Upvote 0
I don't know if its anything to do with Gamespy or not,but RO servers certainly link to Gamespy;

[IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
DoUplink=True
UplinkToGamespy=True

[IpDrv.UdpGamespyQuery]
MinNetVer=1087
OldQueryPortNumber=7767
bRestartServerOnPortSwap=True
bDebugPortSwaps=True

I never said they don't link to Gamespy. Gamespy is a separate master server from the one hosted by TWI. Most Unreal Engine games communicate with more than one master server for redundancy purposes. In this case, the closing of Gamespy will mean that not only will the client not be able to pull the list from Gamespy's master server, but servers will not be able to send a beacon to them either. There are servers in the server browser so surely they are somehow communicating with the TWI master server.

From what I discovered with that setting recently is that if you disable that it disables sending a "gamespy" query which doesn't necessarily go to Gamespy. That's just the gamespy query protocol which doesn't need gamespy to utilize.

I set it to disabled (false) and GameTracker was no longer capable of tracking the server. I set it back to enable and gametracker picked the server back up. This is because it's just a protocol that allows communicating with the server through a "query" port.

I highly doubt that, that is the setting for sending information to the Gamespy query. Even if it is, then disabling it shouldn't matter. The other part "DoUplink" is what sends a beacon to the master server.

Upvote 0
I see it. That just means the domain is resolving to an IP which doesn't necessarily mean a master server is running on the other end, nor does it mean it's running correctly.

Although if that's the only master server in the log then it might point us in the right direction. My log shows tripewireinteractive.com being resolved as well.

You and your edits. Le sigh.

Pretty sure gamespy went down months ago.

Upvote 0
Matt what exactly did you report to your provider? Route wise I am reaching out across the web route wise. There are a large number of various ip addrs listed in my logs to different subnets owned by limelight. I trace and try to connect from 3 different places as well.

I would love to know what those servers that are still being advertise have in common.

Funny that the Linux steam client is logging this traffic. Makes me think steam can control this.

Upvote 0
NFO Servers replied to say the fix involved copying these files from an up-to-date Steam client install:

• steam.dll
  • steamclient.dll
  • tier0_s.dll
  • vstlib_s.dll
On the server these files are in the RedOrchestra/System folder (probably not called that on a server, but you know the one I mean).

This worked for our DH server and I think it will be the fix for RO servers too. This will be the first thing I'll try if (when !) this problem happens again. Hope it works for you - good luck. Cheers.

Upvote 0
HI GUYS I CONFIRM THIS PROBLEM TOO!!!! THERE IS CURRENTLY JUST 13 SERVERS VISIBLE IN THE GAME SERVER BROWSER. OS of the server DOES NOT Matter!!!

Some of the "invisible" servers are Linux, some are Win.

I have contacted Yoshiro from TripWire, he said he will check but I don't have any further replies from him for now.

Please post ALL information you currently have including logs, IPs, configs and so on, so we can sort this out as soon as possible.

Also post more info regardin that Gamespy issue.

And Tipwire Please confirm Gamespy has nothing to do with your masterserver. Thank you.

I have Windows server running fine to test on, but no idea what to modify in the ini.

OK I just checked connection logs, we have the exact same problem with connecting to these IPs

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't want to answer here in place Matt, but he gave me a solution he has been given from his server provider (what they had done to fix it) - and if they were talking "the truth" ;) is to copy some dll(s) from client installation to the server's system directory - and that should fix WINDOWS based server - I tried it with mine and doesn't work, so rather it is not the fix or (more likely) not for Linux (which has .SO postfix equivalent files). Matt wrote he post here the solution, so Windows OS servers Admins can check it what hasn't worked for me.

Upvote 0